The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

teeraash

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Lucille, the colors in your image are so bold. I bought 28/2 a week ago because of you and your images!

Lucille

Lucille, the colors in your image are so bold. I bought 28/2 a week ago because of you and your images!

Thank you for your very kind compliment, you will like that 28mm, and I'll tell you, every image I have posted from the 28mm has been a Jpeg, as I let the camera fix the distortion from the 28.
I have yet to shoot raw using the 28mm, so with that said the results could probably be even better. I think this cheaper prime that Sony made is a no-brainer, hopefully Sony will make
some more lenses like this, I know its hard on folks to have to dish out 1k for a lens.

Lucille

I'll give you a little tip on how I shoot, I tend to underexpose, from a 1/2 stop to a full stop, it depends on the scene, then in post I brighten my image, sometimes local, sometimes global.

IMO, by doing this one gets deeper richer colors. If say I am shooting a car outside, I tend to expose for the sky, and then I bring up the brightness in post of the car.

gurtch

A7RII, Zeiss 16~35 lens at f11, ISO 200. All shot the same day.
Thanks for looking
Dave trial 0357 framed.jpgtrial 0352 framed.jpgframed 0342.jpgin NJ

AlanS

A few more, A7, c/y Distagon 35mm f1.4
Rogie Falls

gurtch

Another B&W converted in Silver Efex Pro. A7RII 16~35mm at f 11 ISO 200.
Dave in D686 framed.jpgNJ

scho

A very quiet day at the lake. A7RII+FE 35/2.8. All shot in uncompressed raw and imported to LR as DNG.

(I assume this lead warning was because they were scraping off century old paint from the ceiling.)

jaree

Ron - This and others in the set are terrific images. Lovely colors and very good use of the long lenses. Esp love the fact that you getting so much out of the R lenses on the A7Rii. I must use them more often! IBIS or not, your hands are very steady as is evident in the pictures.

Many thanks, Karl-Heinz! I haven't used a tripod once during the whole time I was in Greenland. Shows how effective IBIS is. Here an image captured at 390mm:

Edit: Just in case you were wondering, I used faster shutter speeds than normally required for this and the previous image because I had just run uphill ~100m in elevation, and as a result was unable to hold the camera as steadily as usual...

Barry Haines

Just recapping here what I said a couple of days ago on the Sony 14bit thread (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/56...lable-14-bit-uncompressed-raw.html#post664498 ), as it maybe helpful for some of you with the A7RII with the latest Firmware (Version 2.0) who are looking to save some extra storage space on your HDD’s (Not to mention the faster speed times of opening and processing an image ;)

I have been experimenting with Re-compressing the large uncompressed 14bit LOSSY A7RII files but using LOSSLESS DNG compression as opposed to the Sony LOSSY compressed option within the camera itself.
I carried out my tests with the latest 9.2 Windows External DNG editor as opposed to importing via LR and converting to DNG, this still allows you to make several preference changes and still batch process your images as you would do normally :thumbs: I still allow the small medium preview jpg to be included as that only adds just a few extra K’Bytes to the final file (no great saving here in file size worth bothering about should you prefer not to include it) but I don’t bother to imbed the original RAW image as the files then start to become to large again which defeats the whole object of the exercise :(
This seems to be doing an excellent job IMHO, with absolutely no loss of IQ that I have detected to date over the much larger original 14bit uncompressed RAW images :thumbs:
This will give you now a much smaller file size of around half that of the original RAW’s. I have had no problem opening these DNG images in either LR or CS.
I personally think a saving of around 40MB’s per image is well worth the effort and I now include this as part of my workflow :D ....Cheers Barry

Camouflaged spider...90mm FE @ F/2.8 ISO 50 Handheld (a downsized jpg made from using the above PP)...Please click on “Enlargement”

Ron Pfister

Ron - This and others in the set are terrific images. Lovely colors and very good use of the long lenses. Esp love the fact that you getting so much out of the R lenses on the A7Rii. I must use them more often! IBIS or not, your hands are very steady as is evident in the pictures.
Many thanks for the kind words! Yes, I am delighted that the Leica-R and Zeiss ZF.2 lenses work so well with the A7-series, both interms of IQ and ergonomics. The IBIS of the A7II (I don't own the A7RII yet) has really brought the longer R-lenses into the modern age of photography - exactly what I was hoping for when I bought them some years back. I had the A7R with me in Greenland, but used it very little. Often working from boats, IBIS was instrumental in maximising IQ because it allowed me to work at 1/f or slower shutter speeds, thus keeping ISO as low as possible. In the same situation, I would have been forced to use 1/3f shutter speeds and correspondingly higher ISO settings with the A7R - a huge difference!

scho

Time to start raking leaves again :( Sony A7RII + Tamron 150-600. I agree with Barry's findings concerning the new uncompressed 14 bit files and I also have been importing to LR as DNG. Significantly less noise and edge artifacts, plus smoother tonal gradations.

Barry Haines

I agree with Barry's findings concerning the new uncompressed 14 bit files and I also have been importing to LR as DNG. Significantly less noise and edge artifacts, plus smoother tonal gradations.
Thank you Carl most appreciated my friend :thumbs:
Together with David’s independent tests on the other thread, reconfirming there is an IQ difference in the shadows and highlights with a slight increase in noise levels between the Sony compressed and uncompressed files...I would really like Sony to dump altogether their Sony compression option and give us a replacement of in camera lossless DNG compression instead...The DNG compression is significantly smaller than the uncompressed Sony files and only very slightly larger than the Sony compressed files...Firmware V3.0 perhaps?...Fat chance hey!...But Sony do listen so maybe one day who knows ;)

A7R + 16-35MM (Tone mapped)...North West Cornish coast

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.