The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozenbb

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Here are two more recent seascapes - that is, shots from the deck of a rental home near Nanoose Bay, BC, Canada.

Cold Steel.

The Straight of Georgia: 2

Lucille

I can't stand the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8, I will tell you that the 35mm Zeiss f/2 found on the RX1 just destroys this lens, in everything in my eyes, the f/2 has more pop, more contrast, more character, and more MAGIC.

the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 is a real yawner, I don't really get the 'hepkitty' look to the files, my signiture look. I know some love it, I don't, flat, dull, boring, uninspiring. I for one don't put
a lot of stock in this 'corner sharpness' argument. I do a lot of landscape stuff and it if soft corners weaken my images, my eyes don't really see it, as my images tend to draw you into the subject,
which I rarely put in the corners anyways.

My honest opinion is instead of spending the cash on the f/2.8, either step up to the Distagon f/1.4 or score a Rx1. If budget is a concern then get the 'great 28', the cheapo Sony 28mm f/2 prime and save some cash and yet gain some character. Of course this is subjective, and just my opinion.

Anyways, here are a few shots with the lens I dislike, the boring Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 on the Sony A7.

from the Alien capital of the World, Roswell New Mexico.

pegelli

He walked right in front of me as I was taking photos (What a cheek!!!)...I considered pushing him out of the way but then realized I was an EMMET myself! :LOL:
It takes one to know one :(
Great shot Barry, he really added some foreground interest :ROTFL:

But you need to help me, what does the term EMMET stand for, tried googling it but all I found were a few towns in the US and a lego figure :confused:

pegelli

Anyways, here are a few shots with the lens I dislike, the boring Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 on the Sony A7.
I can probably see what you mean in the first shot but I like the second a lot and it certainly doesn't look "flat" or "dull" to me.

Have you tried shooting it side by side on the same subject with your RX1 to pinpoint the exact difference you see between the two lenses?

Knorp

But you need to help me, what does the term EMMET stand for, tried googling it but all I found were a few towns in the US and a lego figure :confused:
Google Emmet and Cornish ... :salute:

Barry Haines

Many thanks Pieter ;)
Basically just a slightly derogatory term used mostly by the Cornish for tourist and more recently a incomer (which obviously applies to myself). https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmet_(Cornish)

Likewise I liked Lucille's second shot very much...IMHO I would have liked it even more with a slight crop on the right hand side losing the distracting highlights, otherwise excellent. :clap:

Barry Haines

Here are two more recent seascapes - that is, shots from the deck of a rental home near Nanoose Bay, BC, Canada.
Yes indeed two beautiful shots Tom ^^^
You couldn’t have asked for a better quality of lighting than those louring skies looming over both of those seascapes...Excellent.

This image could benefit from a crop but then I wouldn’t have had an excuse to use this crummy title :ROTFL:

Michiel Schierbeek

Barry, you thought; and now I am going to stand in front of my own picture.
BTW I used to wear pants like that in the sixtys :grin:

Old lens, modern style.
Autumn in the Vondelpark, Amsterdam.

Barry Haines

Barry, you thought; and now I am going to stand in front of my own picture.
BTW I used to wear pants like that in the sixtys :grin:
I’m sure you did Michiel :rolleyes: ........................................It’s nothing to be proud of my friend :ROTFL:

So, is that you on the bridge doing a selfie just over a 100 yards away?...You could come a bit closer, there really is no need to be camera shy :ROTFL:

BTW...Nice lighting in both your pics, I personally prefer this version to the - Old lens, old style. (wide open) image...Cheers Barry

frozenbb

Another nice one, Barry, though I'm beginning to think Cornwall is the sunniest place on the planet! ;)

Ron Pfister

And here yet another. It's not my favourite lens because it's fly-by-wire, but its combination of small size and consistently high IQ across the frame are desirable attributes, I find.

frozenbb

I can't stand the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8, I will tell you that the 35mm Zeiss f/2 found on the RX1 just destroys this lens, in everything in my eyes, the f/2 has more pop, more contrast, more character, and more MAGIC.

the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 is a real yawner, I don't really get the 'hepkitty' look to the files, my signiture look. I know some love it, I don't, flat, dull, boring, uninspiring. I for one don't put
a lot of stock in this 'corner sharpness' argument. I do a lot of landscape stuff and it if soft corners weaken my images, my eyes don't really see it, as my images tend to draw you into the subject,
which I rarely put in the corners anyways.

My honest opinion is instead of spending the cash on the f/2.8, either step up to the Distagon f/1.4 or score a Rx1. If budget is a concern then get the 'great 28', the cheapo Sony 28mm f/2 prime and save some cash and yet gain some character. Of course this is subjective, and just my opinion.
Lucille, I'm sympathetic to this argument, though only to a point. I think the rendering of the FE 28mm f2 is far friendlier to human subjects compared to the 35mm 2.8. However, where landscapes are concerned, I find the vibrant warm colors of the 35 much more pleasing than the cool, Leica-esque tones of the 28.

But as you've shown, the 28 is certainly a capable performer. Here's a 'high-keyed' shot taken with it.

'Not an Old-growth Forest'

Ron Pfister

And lastly this image where the focal plane is not quite where it should be. As a staunch proponent of MF, I naturally blame AF. It should have known where I wanted to focus, right? :D

Lucille

Lucille, I'm sympathetic to this argument, though only to a point. I think the rendering of the FE 28mm f2 is far friendlier to human subjects compared to the 35mm 2.8. However, where landscapes are concerned, I find the vibrant warm colors of the 35 much more pleasing than the cool, Leica-esque tones of the 28.

But as you've shown, the 28 is certainly a capable performer. Here's a 'high-keyed' shot taken with it.

I can take a ok picture with the 35mm f/2.8, but that lens sucks. The 35mm on the Rx1 really kicks it to the curb, anything you think the way over priced Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 does, the 35mm
Zeiss on the RX1 is far superior. Without question. This is why I dislike the boring, dull, and not vibrant colors from the 35 f/2.8, because my eyes have been spoiled by maybe the greatest 35mm
every made, the one found on the Rx1.

When I bought my A7 there was but a few lenses, the 35mm f/2.8 being one of them, so I bought it because I love 35mm, only to see in post how inferior this lens turned out to be compared
to the Rx1. As a result I think the 28mm f/2 is the better purchase, however, for anybody that wants the 35mm f/2.8, you can buy my pristine copy for $500 shipped. At that price it makes
a bit more sense, but for its asking price, it isn't worth it. I used the 35mm f/2.8 some more and will post some images soon.

Now this is all subjective, and I understand that many of you very talented photographers may disagree with me, but this is my stance, and I honestly believe that if I find 10 of you that love the 35mm f/2.8, and allowed those ten to shoot with the Rx1, that atleast 9 would come back realizing how much better the Zeiss 35 f/2 Sonnar on the Rx1 really is.

Now I know one is f/2.8 while the other is f/2, shoot em both at f/2.8 and the Rx1 still wins in a rout. Shoot em at any aperture, and the Rx1 wins.

I wanted to like that 35mm f/2.8, I have tried and tried, I keep coming to the same conclusion.... this lens, ISNT Hepkitty Approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.