The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorkil

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Thanks Thorkil...Personally I thought she looked a bit bemused when she saw my trousers/pants :shocked: :ROTFL:
...ha-ha...yes now I see it (but you forgot to press the selfie-buttom too), at tiny little sourly ironic smile ... yet indulgent.. is about to take place by her mouth :p
thorkil

Barry Haines

Playing with the new toy yesterday.

'An afternoon ferry'

Fabulous light on this one Tom just picking out the dolphins as they break the surface of the water.
Congrats on your new camera.....It's rather good init :grin:

Apart from the dim quay lights this scene was pretty dark to the naked eye!...The EVF was invaluable for composing the image.
To be honest I just don’t think I would have bothered taking the shot at all if I was using a DSLR with an optical finder, certainly not unless I had a tripod with me at the time.
This was taken handheld at iso800 0.4 sec with the A7RII/55mm FE shot WO.

Last edited:

frozenbb

Thanks Barry! I only wish I had something a bit longer than the 55 with me at the time. That shot of the dolphins is practically a 100% crop.

It's definitely early days - I've had the a7rii since Saturday - but I'm impressed so far. It's much more polished than version 1, and with my somewhat shaky hands ibis is invaluable! I've still got a few quibbles (read: the weight!), but I'm sure I'll adapt in time.

I hadn't planned on upgrading so soon, but decided to take advantage of the weak Australian dollar vis-a-vis the US dollar. I picked up the Aussie version for $2620 usd.

Barry Haines

Thanks Barry! I only wish I had something a bit longer than the 55 with me at the time. That shot of the dolphins is practically a 100% crop.

It's definitely early days - I've had the a7rii since Saturday - but I'm impressed so far. It's much more polished than version 1, and with my somewhat shaky hands ibis is invaluable! I've still got a few quibbles (read: the weight!), but I'm sure I'll adapt in time.

I hadn't planned on upgrading so soon, but decided to take advantage of the weak Australian dollar vis-a-vis the US dollar. I picked up the Aussie version for $2620 usd.
That's a pretty good price Tom, it's already dropped a bit which is obviously annoying to the early adopters and myself that came along a bit later on :facesmack:
Werner + Guy (with his review) put my mind at ease...so I went ahead and don't regret it in the least...it's a good upgrade for sure.
You have yourself a great camera now to build a superb lens arsenal around...No rush just pick your lenses slowly and surely for your style of photography - The 55mm is a great lens to radiate your selection around :thumbs:

frozenbb

That's a pretty good price Tom, it's already dropped a bit which is obviously annoying to the early adopters and myself that came along a bit later on :facesmack:
Werner + Guy (with his review) put my mind at ease...so I went ahead and don't regret it in the least...it's a good upgrade for sure.
You have yourself a great camera now to build a superb lens arsenal around...No rush just pick your lenses slowly and surely for your style of photography - The 55mm is a great lens to radiate your selection around :thumbs:
Yeah, I got lucky on the price, though only because of the idiosyncrasies of global currency markets! I had planned on buying a used a7rii in a few months at a similar price, but this allowed me to grab a new copy! Even at $3k+ usd it's still a hell of a camera. Also, something tells me (or is it wishful thinking?) it won't depreciate as quickly as the 7r.

Lenses, lenses, lenses. I keep meaning to buy the FE 16-35 for general purpose use, but for some reason have yet to do so. I know it's a great performer, but something in me just can't stand the thought of carrying bulky zooms anymore. The batis 85 and and FE 90 are also superb choices, but I've got that range pretty well covered with legacy options. What I'm really looking for is a high quality, native, 135mm or 180/200mm that doesn't weigh a ton. f2.8 for the 135 or even f4 for the 180/200 would be fine! I know, this request is unlikely to be met...

D

Deleted member 7792

What I'm really looking for is a high quality, native, 135mm or 180/200mm that doesn't weigh a ton.
Aren't we all?! Welcome to my world. ;)

Joe

Ron Pfister

FRACTAL WATERFALL....I used a technique of blending a fractal textured version of the original image with the original PP image.
Absolutely incredible Barry!! I love the resulting combination of smooth and crisp texture. Beautiful, fascinating, intriguing. Many thanks for sharing!

furtle

Bit of fun from Amsterdam with my A7S and a Voigtlander 75mm f2.5 Color Heliar.

Annna T

Yeah, I got lucky on the price, though only because of the idiosyncrasies of global currency markets! I had planned on buying a used a7rii in a few months at a similar price, but this allowed me to grab a new copy! Even at $3k+ usd it's still a hell of a camera. Also, something tells me (or is it wishful thinking?) it won't depreciate as quickly as the 7r.

Lenses, lenses, lenses. I keep meaning to buy the FE 16-35 for general purpose use, but for some reason have yet to do so. I know it's a great performer, but something in me just can't stand the thought of carrying bulky zooms anymore. The batis 85 and and FE 90 are also superb choices, but I've got that range pretty well covered with legacy options. What I'm really looking for is a high quality, native, 135mm or 180/200mm that doesn't weigh a ton. f2.8 for the 135 or even f4 for the 180/200 would be fine! I know, this request is unlikely to be met...
I would pass on the 16-35mm if you hope to get a general purpose lens : the longer end isn't that good. I may have a bad copy of the 16-35mm and a good copy of the 24-70mm, but at 24mm and up, the standard zoom is better than the 16-35mm. From the reviews I have read and the feedback of owners, the wide angle zoom should equal the 24-70mm at 28mm and be better at 24mm. But I was deceived by the results i get, since I mostly use 21mm and up. IMO, for the focals I'm using, it wasn't worth the increased weight and bulk. In fact, it stays home most of the time and I somewhat regret that purchase. I do also regret the 70-200mm F4, which isn't as good as its Canon equivalent and bulkier. So now with the A7rII being able to focus Canon glass better, I'm considering getting rid of those two zoom lenses, with the 24-70mm as a walk around lens and primes for better results. I will get either the Loxia 21 or the Batis 25mm, I'm still not sure which.

As for prices, here the best price you can find online is 3545.- CHF with the 8% VAT included. Aka given the actual changing rates and without VAT 3265$. The official Sony price is 3599.- CHF VAT included. I paid mine 3190.-CHF (aka 2938$ without VAT) because it was supposed to be a showroom model and they made me a 10% rebate. In fact it was really like new. It didn't even have the date and time memorized. But it has only a one year warranty instead of two (I suspect that it was a grey import rather than a showroom model). Anyway, I'm very happy with it and don't think that I will need another camera for a while. Nor do I expect the prices to go down as fast as on the previous model.

scho

I have been screening some of my old Pentax and Hassy glass for candidates to use on a new Pentax 645z that is on the way. Here is a crop from a shot using the Pentax-A 45mm f/2.8 at f/8 on the A7RII with adapter. Seems to have good sharpness on center so may go into the potentially usable category for now. Click for 100% crop from original file.

AlanS

A7, c/y Distagon 35mm f1.4 2 image stitch
Wester Ross

D

Deleted member 7792

The car could be cleaner, but...

Joe

iiiNelson

I would pass on the 16-35mm if you hope to get a general purpose lens : the longer end isn't that good. I may have a bad copy of the 16-35mm and a good copy of the 24-70mm, but at 24mm and up, the standard zoom is better than the 16-35mm. From the reviews I have read and the feedback of owners, the wide angle zoom should equal the 24-70mm at 28mm and be better at 24mm. But I was deceived by the results i get, since I mostly use 21mm and up. IMO, for the focals I'm using, it wasn't worth the increased weight and bulk. In fact, it stays home most of the time and I somewhat regret that purchase. I do also regret the 70-200mm F4, which isn't as good as its Canon equivalent and bulkier. So now with the A7rII being able to focus Canon glass better, I'm considering getting rid of those two zoom lenses, with the 24-70mm as a walk around lens and primes for better results. I will get either the Loxia 21 or the Batis 25mm, I'm still not sure which.

As for prices, here the best price you can find online is 3545.- CHF with the 8% VAT included. Aka given the actual changing rates and without VAT 3265$. The official Sony price is 3599.- CHF VAT included. I paid mine 3190.-CHF (aka 2938$ without VAT) because it was supposed to be a showroom model and they made me a 10% rebate. In fact it was really like new. It didn't even have the date and time memorized. But it has only a one year warranty instead of two (I suspect that it was a grey import rather than a showroom model). Anyway, I'm very happy with it and don't think that I will need another camera for a while. Nor do I expect the prices to go down as fast as on the previous model.
I believe that you'll be happier with the size of the Loxia than the Batis so maybe that's the way you should go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.