The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michiel Schierbeek

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

As I was neuroticly busy getting the two roof gutters between the buildings in one line, in which I didn't succeed, i did not notice the woman on the balcony. :loco:

This is in Saint Valèry en Caux.

cerett

A7R2 with Canon 14mm lens using a Metabones IV adaptor. 45 seconds at f/16. Little Corona Del Mar Beach, CA. _DSC0796-Edit--Edit.jpg

Barry Haines

A tiny little Cornish Island that has an interesting history... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looe_Island

Cornish: Enys Lann-Managh, meaning island of the monk's enclosure, also known as Looe Island and St George's Island, and historically St Michael's Island is a small 22.5 acre island a mile from the mainland town of Looe in Cornwall, England.

People have been living on Looe Island since the Iron Age. Evidence of early habitation includes pieces of Roman amphorae as well as stone boat anchors and Roman coins. In the Dark Ages, the island was used a seat of early Christian settlement. The child Jesus was believed to have visited the Island with his uncle, Joseph of Arimathea, who traded with the Cornish tin traders. Therefore, Looe Island became a place of pilgrimage for early Christians and a small thatched roofed chapel was built there during this time.
In the later Medieval period, the island came under the control of Glastonbury Abbey. Lammana Priory was a priory on the mainland directly aligned to a small chapel on the Island consisting of two Benedictine monks until 1289 when the property was sold to a local landowner. The priory was replaced by a chapel served by a secular priest until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1536 when it became property of the Crown. From the 13th to the 16th centuries the island was known as St Michael's Island. After 1584 it became known as St George's Island.
Through the 17th and 18th centuries the island was a popular haunt for smugglers avoiding the British government's revenue cutters out of Plymouth and Falmouth. The Old Guildhall Museum in Looe hold information and research about the smuggling families of Looe Island and information is also available the more recent publications about the island.
In the 20th century, Looe island was owned (and inhabited) by two sisters, Babs and Evelyn Atkins, who wrote two books: We Bought An Island and it’s sequel Tales From Our Cornish Island. They chronicle the purchase of the island and what it was like to live there.

Taken yesterday (BLENCOMO)

Some more...90mm Macro (Untreated) + 21mm Loxia (Handheld ¼ sec) Selenium toned

Last edited:

I'm still trying to take this 'digital pictorialism' idea seriously, hoping to get something with a narrow plane of focus that's much clearer and less chancy than Holga stuff, which always looks sort of sentimental to me.

Acquired a 35 Norton 1.2 this week, to see how it would serve this purpose. It's responsible for the first one. Second is with 50 Planar 1.4 in C/Y mount.

Have been thinking of trying 50 Mistaken for this work (Spellcheck keeps changing Mitakon to Mistaken!). Any other ideas, suggestions, criticisms welcome!

Kirk

View attachment 115673

View attachment 115672

Barry Haines

I'm still trying to take this 'digital pictorialism' idea seriously, hoping to get something with a narrow plane of focus that's much clearer and less chancy than Holga stuff, which always looks sort of sentimental to me.

Acquired a 35 Norton 1.2 this week, to see how it would serve this purpose. It's responsible for the first one. Second is with 50 Planar 1.4 in C/Y mount.

Have been thinking of trying 50 Mistaken for this work (Spellcheck keeps changing Mitakon to Mistaken!). Any other ideas, suggestions, criticisms welcome!

Kirk
Hi Kirk, I assume it’s the OoF rendering that you are particularly interested in, so it’s going to be a fast lens in the 50mm to 60mm range that you are particularly looking for, rather than using longer and fast lenses.
An alternative too the 50mm F0.95 Mistaken :D which IMHO also has one of the best soft/dreamy OoF renderings is the Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm F1.2, it’s a bit soft when used wide open (which is what I think you are looking for ;) ) that’s also plenty sharp when stopped down (a 2 in 1 type lens)...Some here also prefer the 50mm F1.0 Noctilux to the newer Noctilux F0.95 version because of it’s rendering...But it can still be pretty expensive.
I still occasionally use the bang for the buck 58mm F1.2 Rokkor WO because the Sony 55mm F1.8 can’t get as close in terms of soft OoF rendering, that’s when comparing the two WO side by side....The 58mm F1.2 Rokkor would get my vote ;)
I used to use the 58mm Rokkor F1.2 with my 35mm F1.2 Voigtlander but switched over to the Sony 35mm F1.4 Distagon...I personally prefer the rendering of the 35mm Sony lens WO to the 35mm Nokton but I still kept the 58mm F1.2 Rokkor for certain occasions...see some 58mm samples below
BTW. I prefer your first image...great toning that suits the subject matter... Cheers Barry

The 21mm Loxia works brilliantly as a wide field close up lens, super sharp into the corners when stopped down...Please click on Enlargement...Many thanks Barry

Thank you, Barry, gorgeous bokeh with Rokkor! And Yes that's what I'm trying to do, but can't go beyond 50mm and don't plan to indulge in Nocti just for this little experiment; but I'll take the rest of your advice! Oh, for a 35 Noctilux? :thumbs:

Here's another attempt. Trying to keep them flat like old prints, but Nokton is rather contrasty. I used to have Version 1, and it might have been better for this purpose – flatter, I think, with more flare.

Also not sharpening at all, to retain vintage look; but perhaps selective sharpening of focal point would be a good idea....

Kirk

View attachment 115681

Last edited:

OK, enough of a more-or-less good thing. It's been a hard day's work.

Kirk

A7rII, 50mm C/Y Planar

Barry Haines

Thank you, Barry, gorgeous bokeh with Rokkor! And Yes that's what I'm trying to do, but can't go beyond 50mm and don't plan to indulge in Nocti just for this little experiment; but I'll take the rest of your advice! Oh, for a 35 Noctilux? :thumbs:

Here's another attempt. Trying to keep them flat like old prints, but Nokton is rather contrasty. I used to have Version 1, and it might have been better for this purpose – flatter, I think, with more flare.

Also not sharpening at all, to retain vintage look; but perhaps selective sharpening of focal point would be a good idea....

Kirk
Many thanks Kirk, I would forget waiting for the possible arrival of a 35mm Noctilux!
The last time I looked the Signal Corps Engineering Laboratories 33mm f/0.6 Lens was the "Worlds fastest lens" barring mirror lens types.
That just happens to be about the right FL that you are looking for :clap: ...It should also give you the shallow DoF rendering that you are after! :clap::clap::toocool:
The last time one went to auction it was estimated between $20 and $200,000....If you ever got lucky at $20 :thumbup: (but I very much doubt it :scry:) it would be annoying to pay several 100 bucks out for a custom made adapter!
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/10169580_signal-corps-engineering-laboratories-33mm-f06-lens
On a more serious/curious note, I'm curious to know what paper you would print these on eventually...I'm guessing a warm cotton rag type as opposed to some bright white glossy coated type.
About a decade ago I tried to emulate as far as I could that is, some of the old photographic printing processes and experimented with different types of digital matt art papers (mainly cotton rag etc...) I found that the image sat to close to the surface and was not to my liking at all!..although the D-max was good the images lacked any depth and any feeling IMHO ...I then moved away from convention experimenting with a few non digital art papers textured and smooth...The papers D-Max obviously was somewhat reduced and some papers suffered terribly from the ink spreading (bleeding sideways and too deep down into the fibrous pores of the paper) and some just gave you muddy looking prints but some papers responded really quite well as long as you got the ink nozzle head as close to the paper as possible...I then went back to Digital Art papers experimenting with pre-soaking the paper in a very dilute solution of a surfactant "Tween 20" https://www.bostick-sullivan.com/articles/tween20.html this meant I had to print slightly darker to allow for more of the ink to be absorbed into the papers pores to keep a decent D-max of the paper...Bottom line was I got distracted and went back to making digital negatives and hand coating papers in combination with different light sensitive solutions...Anyway I'm following with interest what you are doing...On the screen some of those images have a lovely feel to them, much to my liking...Cheers Barry

Edit: Images inserted – “BIOMES” 21mm Loxia Split toned.

“BANK RAID” 21mm Loxia, Fowey.

Last edited:

MikalWGrass

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Malina - West Palm Beach?

I fondly remember the ZA 851.4 that I had a few years ago. I loved the lens. I can also still hear the sound of it hitting and bouncing off of the pavement after it uncoupled from my camera.

pegelli

Kirk
Hi Kirk, are you using the Brenizer method to get "Large Format" DOF with a smaller sensor by stitching many images taken at large aperture together?

If yes then maybe another idea is to use a longer focal length (for instance a 135/1.8 or 135/2) and shoot/stitch many more images to get the same scene as now, but with a lower dof. Here's an example of someone who used a CZ 135/1.8 for it.

Google "Brenizer" and you'll find a lot more references and instructions.

Btw, I like your compositions and "soft" ancient look. It's something a bit different from what we see here and that's great :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.