The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

REPAIR QUESTION PLEASE....Sorry but this request is a little off subject but don't know where else to ask. While having fun with my Sony A7R2 with Batis 85 lens, my dog ran right in front of me and tripped me up big time. My Sony got damaged on the concrete and needs Sony repair service (focus issues through EVF viewfinder). I also want the lens checked out to factory specs just for safety. I can't find where the best place us to send my Sony. If anyone has any suggestions about where I should send camera and lens for factory service here in the US I would appreciated it very very much. Many thanks, Eleanor
Hi Eleanor, very sorry to hear that about your camera and lens, that is ruddy annoying when this sort of thing happens!
I live in the UK so tried a little research for you in the USA...It may be of help or at least a starting place for repairing your camera and lens...Laredo, looks to be your best hope for your camera.
https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/servi...servicesprograms-servicecenterlocations.shtml
Zeiss lenses http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_us/service.html
Batis http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_us/service/repair_service.html#e-mount
Hope that helps...Hope to see you back with your excellent images on the A7 series thread soon.
Kind regards Barry

seb

...focus issues through EVF viewfinder...
I don't know where you can send in, but just to be save: did you check the diopter wheel (on the right of the EVF-cap)? maybe you accidently moved it.

jim251

All taken this afternoon.

“BLACK ROCK” at Millendreath.
21mm Loxia. Dilute Cyanotype toned.

“ROCKS AT SEATON”
21mm Loxia. (BLENCOMO)

“YELLOW”
21mm Loxia
Barry, an outstanding post, even better the next day and very much worth lingering on...

pegelli

Barry, an outstanding post, even better the next day and very much worth lingering on...
Fully agree, I'm especially intrigued by the beautiful dilute cyanotype toning. Fits the image very well.
Can you do this with Lightroom split toning, or is there some more magic involved?

eleanorbrown

Barry, many many thanks for taking the time you did and for your suggestion....so much appreciated. My camera, lens first, crashed into the street.... Eleanor

Hi Eleanor, very sorry to hear that about your camera and lens, that is ruddy annoying when this sort of thing happens!
I live in the UK so tried a little research for you in the USA...It may be of help or at least a starting place for repairing your camera and lens...Laredo, looks to be your best hope for your camera.
https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/servi...servicesprograms-servicecenterlocations.shtml
Zeiss lenses http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_us/service.html
Batis http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_us/service/repair_service.html#e-mount
Hope that helps...Hope to see you back with your excellent images on the A7 series thread soon.
Kind regards Barry
- - - Updated - - -

[
Yes I did...many times and something has been damaged big time. Thanks, Eleanor

QUOTE=seb;677236]I don't know where you can send in, but just to be save: did you check the diopter wheel (on the right of the EVF-cap)? maybe you accidently moved it.[/QUOTE]

Barry Haines

Fully agree, I'm especially intrigued by the beautiful dilute cyanotype toning. Fits the image very well.
Can you do this with Lightroom split toning, or is there some more magic involved?
Thank you Pieter, absolutely no magic involved...I just simply use (in Photoshop CS) the Nik SEP2 plugin, selecting the “Cyanotype” filter....This ends up on a separate layer on top of the original BW layer...Then I fade the Cyanotype top opacity layer to my diluted colour taste to what I think suits the subject matter ;) ...To be honest just about every Digital Cyanotype filter that I have ever used to date, is just not indicative of a true Cyanotype (Prussian Blue) old style print as you can see from my old prints that I made 30 and 20 years ago below.

The original 1842 Cyanotype formula by Sir John Herschel (which has a crude tonality) on Bockingford textured 300gsm paper.

Right hand side...Mike Ware’s New 1995 Cyanotype formula (which has a smoother less contrasty graduated tonality) printed on the smoother Cranes Parchment paper.... (Argyrotype on the left hand side).

Black Rock – Digital Cyanotype, Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 Cyanotype No. 11 (Mid Strength).

Black Rock – Digital Cyanotype, Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 Cyanotype No. 11 (Mid Strength) Diluted.

Last edited:

frozenbb

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Another from the archives...

Morning maintenance.

I used a close-focus adapter for this shot, meaning I was quite close to the subject!

doug

Western Scrub-Jay, one of my (many) favorite yard birds

pegelli

Thank you Pieter, absolutely no magic involved...
Thanks for sharing your magic ;) and the other examples Barry. I need to take a look at these NIK filters and see how different a result they get vs. using the Lightroom split toning. These days I mostly use that tool as "unsplit" toning with exactly the same hue in the highlights and shadows which yields a comparable result.

pegelli

You're on a roll with that NEX7 Craig, nice pictures. Fell in love with APS-C again?

Something different:
Base player of the Belgian band Absynthe Minded at a concert in 2009

A700 + Min 80-200/2.8 HS G

Slingers

No, I didn't fall in love again. It made me miss the A7S, especially every time I had to go hunting through the menu.

I decided to take it this year because of all the sand and water at a beach. Last year I had a Sony action camera with me but the quality wasn't the best so I bought an underwater housing and used the NEX because of the replacement value being low if water did get in compared to the A7S now with the Australian dollar exchange rate being so poor.

Except for low light the NEX is all I need but does lack the ability to be pushed in post as much as the A7S. I see more artefacts in the sky's and solid blocks. I enjoyed the extra dof though going back to the crop sensor. I find the EVF and the EVF display on the A7S helps me get the composition and exposure as I want easier than the older NEX camera. Also the LCD on the A7S makes it easier to spot a soft image. I had a couple on the NEX I believed were ok until viewing on a computer screen. Both are contrast AF while the A7S is more accurate I did notice the NEX doesn't focus on the background like the A7S has a bad habit of doing. With a bird flying over a river the A7S will focus on the trees on the other side too often but the NEX didn't do that at all in this trip.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.