The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

k-hawinkler

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

From my window (the other side, the yard's side)

A7r2 plus Metabones v. IV plus Canon EF 70-200mm F4 @ 127mm F11 ISO 80 and 1/160 sec. (Mad settings I know, but I rushed not to miss it and the body was still set for the TSE 24mm on tripod..

Hi Annna, definitely this version! Thanks. :thumbs:

JMaher

Wow! Thank you Michiel. I'm never sure of my framing. In retrospect I wondered whether I shouldn't have cropped some of the white wall on the left side and got rid of the background on the top..

I almost took it down to replace it with that cropped version :
While both are nice I also prefer the original.

Jim

Michiel Schierbeek

Wow! Thank you Michiel. I'm never sure of my framing. In retrospect I wondered whether I shouldn't have cropped some of the white wall on the left side and got rid of the background on the top..

I almost took it down to replace it with that cropped version :

From my window reframed 20160122_001
by hhh rrr, sur Flickr

Oh no, I would never crop off the top! The hard roofline together with background make the image uneasy and surreal. If you want to crop I should crop off some of the shadows on the downside of the image, just above the third sport of the ladder to square the image a little to put more emphasis on the slightly diagonal roofline.

Annna T

That looks quite serious.. Thanks for sharing these impressive pictures with us. Be safe. Finger crossed for you that it won't last too long.

Those of you that have seen my posts know I do seascapes. We live on a barrier island off the southern coast of NJ (USA). We just got hit with a massive "Nor'easter" blizzard snow storm. Where we live the snow was not the problem. With a full moon, and three consecutive high tides, the island is flooded. Because of the gale force winds, the bays do not empty at low tide, so the water accumulates. We lost power for 9 hours yesterday, but we now have it back. I used my A7RII at ISO 8,000 and 10,000 to snap a few low res jpgs to show what it looks like from our balcony, looking at our parking lot and street. I also used my cell phone to show how we attempted to make tea during the power outage. It is a candle andg a ceramic bowl. The support is a 35mm Nikor stainless steel film developing reel (remember those?).
We just had another high tide so we are still unable to get out of our home. It is OK though, as we have a big supply of white wine!
Dave in NJ

Chris C

I almost took it down to replace it with that cropped version and would be curious to know which version people prefer :
Hmmmm. Well, I too thought it would improve with cropping; but definitely not from the top! I want to crop from the bottom as the 'weight' of the bottom shadow drains the theatrical interplay of ladder climber, his shadow, and the distant hills.

......... Chris

Annna T

Oh no, I would never crop off the top! The hard roofline together with background make the image uneasy and surreal. If you want to crop I should crop off some of the shadows on the downside of the image, just above the third sport of the ladder to square the image a little to put more emphasis on the slightly diagonal roofline.
Thank you ! Your helping comment is much appreciated, I don't have much visual education : I'm specialized in urban studies and begun to take pictures in the mid nineties in order to counterbalance a scientific job where I was dealing mainly with statistical data.

Annna T

I also have a hard time settling on framing - I really must look at the edges of the image *before* capture. Anyway, my wife prefers this crop:

I'm unsure. I do think there's too much blank space between the walkers and the post in the earlier version, but I like the post as an element. Content aware move?

--Matt
My uninformed advice is that I prefer the first version with the lamppost.

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Gurtch. Good to read that you're keeping up the good spirits! It does look rather serious though. I hope for you the water does not get into your house.
All the best and cheers I would say. :)

dwood

Those of you that have seen my posts know I do seascapes. We live on a barrier island off the southern coast of NJ (USA). We just got hit with a massive "Nor'easter" blizzard snow storm. Where we live the snow was not the problem. With a full moon, and three consecutive high tides, the island is flooded. Because of the gale force winds, the bays do not empty at low tide, so the water accumulates. We lost power for 9 hours yesterday, but we now have it back. I used my A7RII at ISO 8,000 and 10,000 to snap a few low res jpgs to show what it looks like from our balcony, looking at our parking lot and street. I also used my cell phone to show how we attempted to make tea during the power outage. It is a candle andg a ceramic bowl. The support is a 35mm Nikor stainless steel film developing reel (remember those?).
We just had another high tide so we are still unable to get out of our home. It is OK though, as we have a big supply of white wine!
Dave in NJ
That was quite a storm. My sister and her family live just outside of D.C. They got 30" of snow. The flooding you show here is much worse than just having to deal with snow, of course. I hope you and all in your family are okay.

Frits

Winter evening image of my town's new "Centre d'Art".
(A7II, Sony Zeiss 16-35mm f4)

scho

The sun actually came out this afternoon, although still well below freezing. Inlet to Cayuga Lake at Steamboat Landing is tightly frozen up now for the winter. A7r-FS CV 15mm III CC filter.

D&A

Dave, when I saw on the news here in Va. that once again your area (island) in New Jersey one again was going to be subject to floods and high tides, I thought, "oh no" not again when the devistating memories of Hurricane Sandy were fresh in your memory and the struggles of rebuilding your home were finially realized. As mentioned by others, we had a terrific amount of snow from this storm but it pales to what you have to endure.

Be well my friend and stay safe and keep that film developing tank nearby :).

Dave (D&A)

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

^^ great spider picture, love the colors and composition.

Something a bit less scary:

Watching the tide move in (or out)

A700 + Sony 18-250

This statue was at the flood line of the beach in Knokke (Belgium). It was only visible at low tide, at high tide it was fully submerged. Unfortunately it is now removed (this picture is from 2009)

fotografz

Captured with my newly acquired 24-70 this evening.

View attachment 115993
If you have a minute, can you outline how you worked with lighting on this shot?

I recently acquired an A7R-II after selling my Sony A99, and am trying to configure some mobile lighting solutions.

I have a model portfolio shoot later today, and a wedding on Saturday. Any thoughts would be welcome.

BTW, I am just north of you in the Palm Harbor, Tampa area.

- Marc

Annna T

If you have a minute, can you outline how you worked with lighting on this shot?

I recently acquired an A7R-II after selling my Sony A99, and am trying to configure some mobile lighting solutions.

I have a model portfolio shoot later today, and a wedding on Saturday. Any thoughts would be welcome.

BTW, I am just north of you in the Palm Harbor, Tampa area.

- Marc
There was a long thread going on concerning flash with the A7 system. May be some info will be useful for you too :

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/55755-a7rii-nissin-di700a-godox-ad360-systems-wireless-flash.html

Quentin_Bargate

I agree with Anna. The Nissin Di700A + Air 1, which is available as a kit, works very well and supports high speed sync off-camera. This is what I used as fill flash for the piano detail shot a few messages back. Thr Air 1 supports multiple Di700A's

Status
Not open for further replies.