The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annna T

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

I agree with Anna. The Nissin Di700A + Air 1, which is available as a kit, works very well and supports high speed sync off-camera. This is what I used as fill flash for the piano detail shot a few messages back. Thr Air 1 supports multiple Di700A's
I don't adivise for any flash in particular.. I don't even have the Nissin flash .. I just remembered that there was a thread discussing different aspects of using flash on the A7rII..

For myself, I just bought the Sony HVL-M32.. after some hesitation between the 43 and the 32.. The 32 won because of size. It arrived this morning and I have yet to test it.

Last edited:

gurtch

Dave, when I saw on the news here in Va. that once again your area (island) in New Jersey one again was going to be subject to floods and high tides, I thought, "oh no" not again when the devistating memories of Hurricane Sandy were fresh in your memory and the struggles of rebuilding your home were finially realized. As mentioned by others, we had a terrific amount of snow from this storm but it pales to what you have to endure.

Be well my friend and stay safe and keep that film developing tank nearby :).

Dave (D&A)
Thank you Dave. Have not heard from you in a while....hope you are well. Big mess and inconvenience, but no internal damage to home. The streets finally cleared, and flood waters have subsided, so we will be able to get out today. Our building's elevator sump flooded (no power for the sump pump), so no service, and we are on the 4th floor (44 steps), and at age 79, this is no fun. But we are well and safe.
Thanks all for their kind words and concern.
Dave in NJ

JMaher

If you have a minute, can you outline how you worked with lighting on this shot?

I recently acquired an A7R-II after selling my Sony A99, and am trying to configure some mobile lighting solutions.

I have a model portfolio shoot later today, and a wedding on Saturday. Any thoughts would be welcome.

BTW, I am just north of you in the Palm Harbor, Tampa area.

- Marc
Marc,

While I usually bring more it was cold (for us in Florida) yesterday and I was concerned abut wind and I decided to try and be super simple in my set up. The sun was to the right in this picture and contributed a lot of the light.

ISO 400 f9 1/250 with a Nissin Di700A off camera and an Air Commander on camera. The ISO 400 was to get a little more out of the Nissin.

The Nissin flash was on a stand about 6 to 8 feet from the model about 30 degrees off of the left front side . I had a very small modifier on the light (a flash disc http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...oCFQaraQodj7ED1Q&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&Q=&A=details) as I was concerned about wind when I left that morning.

Most times I would take out the Godox 360 and a larger octa modifier but I was trying to work as light and compact as possible.

Jim

** Are you vacationing in Palm Harbour or have you moved?

JMaher

One more from the shoot the other day. They were taken in down town Tampa. Same lighting equipment used. Flash was again off camera and very close to the subject (just out of frame).

Jim

DSC04357-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

Quentin_Bargate

Having purchased the Nissin D700A and Air 1 - two of them - I am happy to recommend them. The D700A is a mid-range unit of average power, but combined with the Air 1 it can form the basis of a low cost high speed sync capable multi flash system

The HVL-32 is fine, I also own one, although I don't think it does off-camera HSS - if that matters to you.

I don't adivise for any flash in particular.. I don't even have the Nissin flash .. I just remembered there was a thread discussing different aspect of using flash on the A7rII..

Myself, I just bought the Sony HVL-M32.. after some hesitation between the 43 and the 32.. The 32 won because of size. It arrived this morning and I have yet to test it.

Annna T

Having purchased the Nissin D700A and Air 1 - two of them - I am happy to recommend them. The D700A is a mid-range unit of average power, but combined with the Air 1 it can form the basis of a low cost high speed sync capable multi flash system

The HVL-32 is fine, I also own one, although I don't think it does off-camera HSS - if that matters to you.
Thank you for your input. I may add a HVL-43 later. For the moment it should suit my needs. I got it because you can use it in manual and diminish the power down to 1/128 and this should be enough for what I intend to do. We will see.

Last edited:

Annna T

I finally decided to get the Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro : an online dealer was offering a 10% rebate on all Sony gear and helped with the decision that it was the right time to get one. It arrived this morning and I had a little play with a just received maze of tulips. Hopefully this will bring you some sunny colors in this cold winter day.

Tulips 20160125 _DSC3858a7r2i
by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

pegelli

Excellent shots again Barry. From the rock pictures I prefer the slightly darker sky of the first, but then maybe combined with the rocks of the second picture. Probably I'm too picky :facesmack:
Man's best friend is just perfect, light, composition, position and posture of the two subjects. Awesome! :thumbup:

seb

off topic to the flash system question: I own a Sony HVL-F60M and two Sony HVL-F43M and use them together with phottix odin transmitter. It works very fine in any regard (ttl/hss/manual and product/portrait/macro). You can also use the 60 as a master without phottix. It works too, but it has some delays (due to a preflash), need more power (again: preflash) and if you're not shooting in HSS, the F60M do a fill flash, even if you turned it off over the menu. If somebody has questions about, she/he can ask me over pm.

Here some pics for the fun part of this great thread:

The following four are flashes only (almoust zero ambient light):
ten shots stack with A7RII + 90/2.8 at f7.1 - 1/500 - ISO 100 with 3 flashes, hss/ttl

A7 with 55/1.8 at f8 - 1/8000s (wanted to test that) - ISO 800 with 2 flashes, hss/ttl

A7 with 16-35/4 at f7.1 - 35mm - 1/320s (hss to avoid that the master flash shoot (without phottix odin)) - ISO 200 with 2flashes (+1 as master), hss/ttl
(it was shot in a completly dark room)

I don't show pics with people in the internet and currently I only have one testshot of myself on flickr:
A7 with 90/2.8 at f5 - 1/320s - ISO200 with 1 flash (you can see the softbox in the eye), hss/ttl

seb

Here are a few more, from some newer shootings:

A7RII with 55/1.8 at f3.2 - 1/800s - ISO 100 with 3 flashes (hss/ttl):

A7RII with 55/1.8 at f6.3 - 1/60s - ISO 100 with 3 flashes (ttl)

Barry Haines

Thank you Tom and Pieter :) ^^^

Please excuse my vivid imagination this morning...I half started this last night after having drunk perhaps one too many glasses of scrumpy :chug: :facesmack:

LOTR: The Door of Durin – “Speak friend and enter”

“The Tengwar” http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Tengwar

Ennyn Durin Aran Moria. Pedo Mellon a Minno. Im Narvi hain echant. Celebrimbor o Eregion teithant i thiw hin.

The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter. I, Narvi, made them. Celebrimbor of Hollin drew these signs.

Lucille

Escobosa New Mexico.

Sony A7S, 16-35mm Zeiss@28mm f/4, ISO200, 1/400sec.

Status
Not open for further replies.