The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annna T

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Thanks for your post - this interests me, because I'm contemplating switching my 5D for an A7II (not the A7RII). I have a couple of EF lenses, and am interested in how they might perform on the A7II, so I have some questions:-
I was also a Canon shooter (5D Classic and 6D) and now have an A7r and A7r2, so I may be able to answer some of your questions.

1. How do you find EF lenses in use on the A7RII? At the posted size, the output looks good - does it hold up at larger sizes, too?
It depends much of the lens IQ : you need a good lens for sensors showing a higher resolution. But Canon lens won't exhibit the same problem as the legacy M lenses at wide angle : due to the space needed for the mirror they have a different design than small and light RF wide angle; this benefits to the IQ.

things will vary from lens to lens : my 70-200mm F4 L IS USM is better than the Sony FE equivalent. Lenses with good reputation (which I don't own), are the 16-35mm F4L, the 24-70mm F2.8L or F4L and also the 11-24mm recently issued.
The 50mm F1.4 is crap in the corners. The 24-105mm F4L is OKyish and the 40mm too, but with somewhat weaker corners. The little 28-70mm F2.8 Tamron is a good performer, as well as the 90mm F2.8 macro Tamron (both older version without OIS). All that on the r bodies which are more demanding than the A7II.

2. One of the things that I like very much about the EF 40mm f/2.8 is the small size. It seems that the addition of an adapter would (more-or-less) double the physical length of the lens - is that correct, and if so, does that bother you?
This is true : the adapter compensateS for the missing flange distance and after that the lens is no more a pancake. It is approximately the size of the FE 35mm F2.8. The weight of the best smart adapter is also quite important 80-100gr.

3. Do you have the EF 85mm f/1.8, and if so, how does that perform on the Sony?
No sorry.

4. Which adapter are you using, and what 'downsides' (if any) have you found, in practice, with the use of adapters?
I have Metabones adapters in particular the version IV T : this is the last version; its firmware can be updated and the inside of the adapter has black flocking to prevent unwanted reflections. My Canon lenses are focusing as well as on the 6D. With perhaps the exception of the 70-200mm F4 at the long end when the light is lower.

Make a search for Bryan Smith adapter Metabones Sony FE to Canon EF : he has a blog with a full page analyzing the AF performances of different adapters with many Canon lenses : whether they work and how fast. The Comlite adapters are cheaper, but globally they don't perform as well. Don't get a Metabones lower than v. IV since they can't be updated. The only difference between the T version and the first IV version is the flocking.

Look at the main page of this Sony forum, the one where all threads are listed : at the top there is a sticky dealing with adapted Canon lenses.

A last caveat : don't expect the A7 plus adapter to compete with Canon when it comes to fast action and continuous AF tracking. The Sony hybrid AF is almost there, but nit yet completely there. Sport shooters should remain with their DSLRs. There is also a slight delay in the VF compared to optical finder. You have to take that in account when shooting for the decisive moment.

Apologies for so many questions, and TIA...:)

Edit : here is the link to Bryan Smith's page : Canon EF Smart Adapter Tests for Sony E-Mount Cameras

Edit 2 : And don't forget to read the update here : Sony a7RII Canon EF Smart Adapter Tests

Note : it isn't clear for me whether the A7II is as performing for AF as the A7rII when using the Metabones adapter. You need to read Bryan Smith attentively to find that out.

Last edited:

Barry Haines

Old rusted up “Capstan” sitting at the end of St Ives Harbour wall
A7RII + 35mm FE Distagon WO at F1.4 (BLENCOMO)

Annna, just re-read yours above me^^^...I did chuckle at "The 50mm F1.4 is crap in the corners" that is so untypically you but probably true... amusing none the less many thanks :LOL: Cheers Barry

Last edited:

tbhv55

I was also a Canon shooter (5D Classic and 6D) and now have an A7r and A7r2, so I may be able to answer some of your questions.
Thanks for your reply Annna T - your post provides great information, and it is extremely helpful. :thumbup:
My 5D is the "classic" too, and has given great service for many years. However, although still in good condition, when I use it these days, it just feels a little long-in-the-tooth... :rolleyes: :(

Annna T

Thanks for your reply Annna T - your post provides great information, and it is extremely helpful. :thumbup:
My 5D is the "classic" too, and has given great service for many years. However, although still in good condition, when I use it these days, it just feels a little long-in-the-tooth... :rolleyes: :(
You will be puzzled when you see how much more DR you are getting with a Sony sensor compared to the Canon. I updated from my 5D to the 6D only a few months before the First A7 were announced. Had I known I would have passed that update. There were already rumors concerning a possible Sony FF mirrorless, but I didn't believe it was serious.. How wrong I was..

Thanks for your post - this interests me, because I'm contemplating switching my 5D for an A7II (not the A7RII). I have a couple of EF lenses, and am interested in how they might perform on the A7II, so I have some questions:-

1. How do you find EF lenses in use on the A7RII? At the posted size, the output looks good - does it hold up at larger sizes, too?

2. One of the things that I like very much about the EF 40mm f/2.8 is the small size. It seems that the addition of an adapter would (more-or-less) double the physical length of the lens - is that correct, and if so, does that bother you?

3. Do you have the EF 85mm f/1.8, and if so, how does that perform on the Sony?

4. Which adapter are you using, and what 'downsides' (if any) have you found, in practice, with the use of adapters?

Apologies for so many questions, and TIA...:)
To add to Anna's comment, the 40mm 2.8 is quite good but not marvelous. It's advantages are the small size and light weight which is very good for going around.

My best lens companion is the Canon 24-70 F4 which is VERY good and well corrected, almost no CA and very little barrel distortion. It is very sharp.

I'm using this 24-70 for many jobs and actually selling some of my primes.

My other Very Good lenses are the Nikon G 85mm F1.8 which is marvelous, and the Nikon G 14-24mm both in manual focus with Fotodiox adapter.

For Canon lenses I'm using the Fotodiox autofocus adapter from which I have no complains about. It is tight, secure and auto focuses fast enough.

I don't own an A72. I have A7R and A7R2. Adding to all of the modern features of these cameras is the fact that the images are more photorealistic. The colors and details are less digital and closer to what film used to be. I sold the Nikon D800 which served me well for almost 50.000 actuations and many jobs but the details were kind of plastic looking. I used to own a Canon 5DMKII and the colors were very off and dirty.

I'm a happy camper now.

The Ute

"Sugarloaf" in the morning light as seen from my backyard.
Sony A7RII/Sigma 35mm Art

Barry Haines

"Sugarloaf" in the morning light as seen from my backyard.
Sony A7RII/Sigma 35mm Art
The Ute, what a spectacular (jaw-dropping) view you also have like Annna from your backyard...wonderful! ^^^ :)

St Ives Lifeboat Station (Tonemapped and BLENCOMO treatment).
A7RII + 90mm FE Macro
Please click on Enlargement...Many thanks Barry.

Last edited:

tbhv55

Thanks Antonio, for all your comments, too. This information will help to get to a decision about switching brands. Much appreciated. :thumbup:

I'm a happy camper now.
And that, of course, is the main thing!

This is for sure a Nostalgia Picture, but I don't know which is more appropriate: BW for era, or color for content?

Kirk

BarberpoleBW.jpg

BarberpoleCol.jpg

A7rII, 50 f1.4 Planar (C/Y)

Or how about Pastel Colors With No Content?

Kirk

(Excuse the silliness – it's one of those marker birthdays when we're allowed to have some sort of crisis.)

CautionCar.jpg

Same

The Ute

Two more from my morning walk.
A7RII/Sigma 35mm Art

frozenbb

Fun with fog banks.

'Vapers'

I see that flickr compression wasn't overly kind to this image. But you get the idea!

Last edited:

SamSS

Wishing everyone a happy and prosperous New Year!
7R2 with FE90 all wide open.

Drive by shot from the car... 7R2 with Sigma 50mm ART @ f2.8, iso-6400, 1/15s

Annna T

Thanks for the good wishes, same to you.. and I like this picture very much : the lines, the tones, the colors, everything.

Wishing everyone a happy and prosperous New Year!
7R2 with FE90 all wide open.

Drive by shot from the car... 7R2 with Sigma 50mm ART @ f2.8, iso-6400, 1/15s

Barry Haines

Some handheld low light shots of St Ives with the 90mm Macro G, an all round fantastic lens IMHO.
I will be amazed if the new 85mm G Master can out resolve the 90mm G at F2.8 and upwards (close up, mid distance and far off), we shall have to wait and see :)

Kirk, Re: What is it?
I really don't have a clue but I will play :)
Is is a cutlery cabinet

Darned if I know. Another guess was shoeshine box. Maybe if you buy one you get to decide what it's for?

While we're at it, here's another from the same day that does'nt quite make sense:

Kirk

TableGirl&Stump.jpg

A7rII, 50 1.4 Planar (C/Y)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.