The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

k-hawinkler

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Some handheld low light shots of St Ives with the 90mm Macro G, an all round fantastic lens IMHO.
I will be amazed if the new 85mm G Master can out resolve the 90mm G at F2.8 and upwards (close up, mid distance and far off), we shall have to wait and see :)

Kirk, Re: What is it?
I really don't have a clue but I will play :)
Is is a cutlery cabinet

Thanks Barry. Excellent shots. My 90mm Macro G is a gem to keep as well. :thumbs:
Nevertheless, it's good to have choices and find out more about the 85mm G Master... :bugeyes:
... for the sake of satisfying my curiosity, if nothing else. :grin:

No doubt, somebody will compare the 85mm G Master with the 85 Batis soon. :watch:

Annna T

I have tons of unscanned color negatives films sleeping on the shelves and I'm always trying to find new ways to speed up things. Today I experimented with a new LED light table (Dörr LP 400) and the FE 90mm macro. I have a hard time finding the right color balance and taking the orange color mask away. But finally found a workflow that doesn't do wonder but can work.

The light table is 5000K (+ or - 200k), so I set the white balance of the camera to that temperature. I frame quite larger than the picture, so that I keep enought unexposed emulsion around the picture itself : it is light orange and I use that in LR to set the WB with the eyedropper. I noted that it usually falls between 2700 and 2750K with the green/magenta slider near zero. Then I make a quick trip to PS in order to invert the colors and take the orange mask away (Ctrl I, Ctrl S and Ctrl W and back to LR). There I adjust the tones etc... I'm quite deceived by the sharpness I can get. The A7r2 42MB are clearly outresolving the film and the whole isn't looking sharp. I was getting better results with the Canon 6D. May be that I should try more aggressive settings for clarity, sharpening and compensate with drastic noise reduction. Anyway.. here is the best example of what I could get.

Dents du Midi as seen from Champery, November 2000.

Contax G2 and Zeiss Contax G 90mm F2.8 "scanned" with the A7r2 and FE 90mm F2.8 macro.

Dents du Midi, Champery - click to enlarge - 2000_11L02_043-Modifiera7r2i-2
by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

The Ute

Couple from the old pioneer town of Grafton.
A7RII/Sigma 35mm Art

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Entrance to the "Institut de Beauté" in Biarritz (France)

Enter here and you won't recognize yourself when you come out again :cool:

A700 + Sig 10-20/4-5.6

PSon

Happy Birthday Garland w/ A7RII/Biotar 50mm F1.4

Sony A7RII + Pre-War Zeiss Biotar 50mm F1.4 M-Mount w/ built in Rangefinder Mechanism @ F1.4
Eye Focus w/ MF + Manual Hand Tracking

Happy Birthday Garland w/ 645Z/Planar T* 110mm F2.0 F

Pentax 645Z + Hasselblad Carl Zeiss Planar T* 110mm F2.0 F @ F2.0
Optical Focus w/ MF + Manual Hand Tracking

The Ute

Two more from my trip to Grafton.
A7RII/Sigma 35mm Art

pegelli

From my window, working in the rain. Nine of them was wearing a helmet, yet the truck/crane was moving rocks and stones just above their heads. I found that insecure and certainly not conform to the labour law.
Annna, I agree, but if you look at the size of the rock in the "claw" in your shot I wonder what good a hard hat would do when it would drop out and falls on top of a person. So hard hats should be mandatory for a job like this, but it's even more important to always keep a safe distance from the path of the rocks overhead and never walk under it. Risk mitigation measures should really be a function of the consequence of something going wrong (in this case probably a fatality) and not based on the low probability of it happening (it never happened to me before :eek: ).

Sharif Abdou

A7RII + FE 90mm f2.8 Macro; @1/25 / f8.0 / ISO 65535

Visiting my sister and her family in Toronto over Thanksgiving, my nephews sitting in front of a fire (the room was very, very dark), silent shutter on so they wouldn't notice, crop mode to get a little closer, ISO 65,535...SIXTY-FIVE-THOUSAND. Sure, the picture is noisy, but the idea of shotting at ISO 65000 and getting something usable is still baffling to me.

Off topic, but I have to say what a pleasure it is to visit this forum, it's an oasis from the insanity and tribalism that's all too present on other photography sites. Lively discussions, but always respectful, wonderful and inspiring images, and even a relative beginner like myself can feel welcome. I think it's a credit to Guy and Jack, and all the good folks here. Alright, enough a** kissing for today ;)

Cheers, Sharif

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.