The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsng

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

The crowd started to congregate outside the pool. As it was still very dark in the early morning, as a tradition people lit up candles. A7R2 w/FE55

With the daylight and after the water was blessed by the priests, the crowd started to jump into the pool to celebrate Timkat. A7r2 w/70-400G

Jim DE

Lucille, Just curious.... what PP software's are you using for you vehicle pic's generally. Not the specifically the one above but many have a semi HDR look that really add's some punch to especially to your night vehicle shots. I was just curious...

Annna T

Today I continued the experiments to digitalise older films. The use of a plexiglass frame with magnet allows flatter negs and sharper results. Alas, exactly as I feared, they produce Newton's rings which can be hard to take away. Also I tried to avoid the step in PS and just inversed the curve in LR. It seems that I was getting better colors when doing the conversion in PS. Another inconvenient of the plexiglass frame is that it is attracting dust like mad and multiplying the need to use the spot removal tool. So I don't think that these acrylic glasses will remain in the workflow. Too bad : they were really adding to the sharpness.

Those shots were taken in Tenerife back in 2000 and "scanned" with the A7rm2 and the FE 90mm macro.

Tenerife 2000_01C04_14a7r2i
by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

and a picture exhibiting the dreadful Newton's rings (they can be corrected when they appear in the sky and there aren't too many of them, but not in this case.

Tenerife with Newton's rings 2000_01C04_04a7r2i
by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

Barry Haines

End of the road, time to put my boots on and start heading outwards across the Moor.

This is one the most dangerous areas on Dartmoor that I’m trying to get to...Not exactly the most sensible thing to do after all the heavy rain that we have had of late!

Deep water warning signs are everywhere!

The Whiteworks old Tin mine is slowly sinking into the bog!

Finally I arrive at my destination after a very awkward but short distance walk. It’s like a maze trying to get here with all the rain, it’s hard to map out a safe route.
This is as far as I will go...as I feel the ground beneath my feet wanting to suck me in if I keep still to long!
This is the Notorious Fox Tor Mire...Sir Arthur Conan Doyle called it the Grimpen Mire in his book “The Hound of the Baskervilles”
It may look harmless enough but it has swallowed many a man and beast, never to be seen again!

Dartmoor Days - Edward William Lewis Davis – 1863
"The hunter homeward speeds in haste,
Ere fogs o'ertake him on the waste;
And if to Foxtor mires he roam,
He'll bid a long adieu to home;
A dreary shroud is o'er his head,
A yawning swamp around him spread;
Spell-bound and lost he ventures on
One fatal step - and all is done;
Hopeless he struggles, vain his throes,
Deeper and deeper down he goes !
The raven claps her ebon wing,
His dirge the howling winds may sing,
And mists will spread the last sad pall
O'er that dark grave unknown to all".

Amusing but oh so true... http://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/bogs_moor.htm
“The other downside of getting 'stogged', especially in company, is the embarrassment it causes. At this point I will take you through the bewildering array of emotions one feels as you slowly sink into the very bowels of Dartmoor. Firstly there is surprise as the ground seems to simply open up and slowly begins to drag you down. Then comes fear as you wonder exactly how far you are going to sink. This is followed by relief as you detect firm ground under your feet and then realise that you have hit 'rock bottom', (I can't describe how you would feel if you didn't hit firm ground but I would imagine panic would be a good descriptive as the ooze begins to cover your airways). Then comes the worst bit - the embarrassment which comes in two forms. The easiest to cope with is if you are alone and after checking around see that nobody has seen your predicament. In this situation you can flounder around like a beached whale, swear as much as you want and basically revel in your own stupidity. If however you are in company or have been observed from afar then I am sorry you are going to feel a complete arse. As you wallow in the bog or mire you will notice that any spectators firstly look concerned and then they will try to hide their amusement. This tends to be for a short, polite period which is followed by overt mirth and is accompanied by howls of laughter and gesticulations. It is also noticeable how your bosom buddies will not offer a helping hand to extract you for fear of becoming just as filthy. They will however kindly proffer walking sticks, dog leads and the like. Forget trying to retain any dignity as you try to extract yourself from the quagmire, it is impossible to daintily heave yourself out of the thick, oozing mass of peat and stinking vegetation with any kind of decorum. The final and lasting emotion is one of repulsion because for the remainder of the day you will be walking along, probably soaking wet, with an nostril twitching stench clinging to your person like a straight jacket and, "you can wash in water, you can wash in soda, but you'll never get rid of that awful odour." Oh, there may well be one last emotion - anger. This usually depends on to what depths you sunk, because if it was waist-deep then a time will come when you reach for your wallet and discover that the wad of crisp £20 notes you earlier withdrew from the cashpoint has re-cycled itself into a mushy pulp in which a myriad of pond life has taken up residence.”

I hope you enjoyed the journey :D

Lucille

Lucille, Just curious.... what PP software's are you using for you vehicle pic's generally. Not the specifically the one above but many have a semi HDR look that really add's some punch to especially to your night vehicle shots. I was just curious...

I have a very simple process. I mainly shoot jpeg. I only deal with raws when I am doing paid work. I tend to underexpose then add brightness both local and global in photoshop. I believe this style gives pop and adds depth and creates richer colors, I also add contrast, I like me some contrast. I spend about 3 - 5 minutes in post per shot.

I shoot in full manual, and tend to shoot wideopen.

A7R MII, 28mm f/2, ISO1250, 1/40sec.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

End of the road, time to put my boots on and start heading outwards across the Moor.

This is one the most dangerous areas on Dartmoor that I’m trying to get to...Not exactly the most sensible thing to do after all the heavy rain that we have had of late!

Deep water warning signs are everywhere!

The Whiteworks old Tin mine is slowly sinking into the bog!

Finally I arrive at my destination after a very awkward but short distance walk. It’s like a maze trying to get here with all the rain, it’s hard to map out a safe route.
This is as far as I will go...as I feel the ground beneath my feet wanting to suck me in if I keep still to long!
This is the Notorious Fox Tor Mire...Sir Arthur Conan Doyle called it the Grimpen Mire in his book “The Hound of the Baskervilles”
It may look harmless enough but it has swallowed many a man and beast, never to be seen again!

Dartmoor Days - Edward William Lewis Davis – 1863
"The hunter homeward speeds in haste,
Ere fogs o'ertake him on the waste;
And if to Foxtor mires he roam,
He'll bid a long adieu to home;
A dreary shroud is o'er his head,
A yawning swamp around him spread;
Spell-bound and lost he ventures on
One fatal step - and all is done;
Hopeless he struggles, vain his throes,
Deeper and deeper down he goes !
The raven claps her ebon wing,
His dirge the howling winds may sing,
And mists will spread the last sad pall
O'er that dark grave unknown to all".

Amusing but oh so true... http://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/bogs_moor.htm
“The other downside of getting 'stogged', especially in company, is the embarrassment it causes. At this point I will take you through the bewildering array of emotions one feels as you slowly sink into the very bowels of Dartmoor. Firstly there is surprise as the ground seems to simply open up and slowly begins to drag you down. Then comes fear as you wonder exactly how far you are going to sink. This is followed by relief as you detect firm ground under your feet and then realise that you have hit 'rock bottom', (I can't describe how you would feel if you didn't hit firm ground but I would imagine panic would be a good descriptive as the ooze begins to cover your airways). Then comes the worst bit - the embarrassment which comes in two forms. The easiest to cope with is if you are alone and after checking around see that nobody has seen your predicament. In this situation you can flounder around like a beached whale, swear as much as you want and basically revel in your own stupidity. If however you are in company or have been observed from afar then I am sorry you are going to feel a complete arse. As you wallow in the bog or mire you will notice that any spectators firstly look concerned and then they will try to hide their amusement. This tends to be for a short, polite period which is followed by overt mirth and is accompanied by howls of laughter and gesticulations. It is also noticeable how your bosom buddies will not offer a helping hand to extract you for fear of becoming just as filthy. They will however kindly proffer walking sticks, dog leads and the like. Forget trying to retain any dignity as you try to extract yourself from the quagmire, it is impossible to daintily heave yourself out of the thick, oozing mass of peat and stinking vegetation with any kind of decorum. The final and lasting emotion is one of repulsion because for the remainder of the day you will be walking along, probably soaking wet, with an nostril twitching stench clinging to your person like a straight jacket and, "you can wash in water, you can wash in soda, but you'll never get rid of that awful odour." Oh, there may well be one last emotion - anger. This usually depends on to what depths you sunk, because if it was waist-deep then a time will come when you reach for your wallet and discover that the wad of crisp £20 notes you earlier withdrew from the cashpoint has re-cycled itself into a mushy pulp in which a myriad of pond life has taken up residence.”

I hope you enjoyed the journey :D

Fascinating Barry. Many thanks. I am glad you made it back.
BTW, just curious. Did you go by yourself? TIA.

jotloob

Subscriber Member

Moor . Great . Here an image from Werdensteiner Moor (Bavaria) shot last Monday .
But . . . . . . sorry not shot with my Sony A7II but with LEICA Q . I hope you don't mind .

Q.@.MOOR.030-Kopie.jpg

Barry Haines

Just thanking you again Jim for everything the other day :thumbs: As in our PM's backwards and forth.

Nice images Jürgen and Lucille :thumbup:

Thanks Karl, I went out with a dozen good friends but only I returned!...They were truly good friends as I managed to use their heads like stepping stones to get back in the dark :eek: :ROTFL:

Seriously, after "Storm Imogen" the area was completely flooded, the mire itself was indeed a pretty deadly place just to get to but I found some firm ground leading through the old abandoned "Whiteworks Tin Mine"...I went with my good wife who of her own free volition also wanted to see the mire, we took a lot of time picking out a safe route....I have in the past got stuck in one of these peat bogs right up to my waist (not a pleasant experience) and the earlier desciption is spot on!

Here is another tale which has attached itself to various mire on Dartmoor, one of them being Fox Tor: "A young man was traipsing home across the moor when he came to a livid green 'feather bed' and to his astonishment, there in the middle of it was a splendid top hat. Obviously some 'gent' had dropped it whilst trying to extricate himself from the mire. Never one to pass an open gate the lad delicately picked his way into the feather bed and picked up the hat. As he lifted it out of the quagmire his heart leapt into his mouth for there under the hat was a human head. The 'stogged' gent smiled and formally introduced himself in a posh city accent. The moorman immediately started to heave the man out of the bog but pull as he might he could not budge him. Again the gent smiled and explained that if the lad would wait a moment he would try to take his feet out of the stirrups of his horse that he was sat on" Dartmoor's Notorious Fox Tor Mires

Last edited:

Annna T

Great stories Barry featuring great pictures, as always. Personnally, I like the color pictures in particular, because I want to see the green and yellow mix of the vegetation. I think that colors makes the danger more palpable / tangible.

Last edited:

nsng

Children playing on Lake Abaya, Southern Ethiopia. A7r2 w/70-400G

Annna T

Nsng : what a great scenery you caught and the light is perfect. The first and third are my favorites of the lot.

dwood

The day started out with a weather forecast for overcast skies. This is a quick grab from my back deck. The crack meteorology folks here in Maine need more training, I think.

nsng

Nsng : what a great scenery you caught and the light is perfect. The first and third are my favorites of the lot.
Thanks Anna. I was in the south to visit different tribal villages. This lake is close to Arba Minch where I stayed for a couple of nights. We were driving around the lake to look for interesting viewpoints. I saw this group of children playing on the lake, got out of the car and changed to the 70-400G. This was in the early evening, with sunlight reflected from the water resulting in mostly silhouette type images. I did some shadow recovery in the last image, but the original image has the silhouette rendering as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.