The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozenbb

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Some stunning images on this page everyone - excellent work all around!

Here's one on short notice. It didn't turn out quite the way I was hoping, but perhaps it will serve to mark the day and achievement!

Ripples in the fabric.

jfirneno

" Suspension Bridge "

Loxia 21

Suspension Bridge by Werner Utsch, on Flickr​

Werner:

I think your composition demonstrates the strength of the true wide angle lens and where to use it. Excellent. I am very interested in the Loxia 21mm (and some of the Voigtlander ultras coming out soon). Would you be willing to critique the 21mm? i'm interested in the overall character but also any technical weaknesses you may have found.

Thanks

W.Utsch

Hi John,
thank's for you remarks.

Regarding the Loxia 21 i can't give a final verdict because the lens is quite new for me and i need a little more shooting with it.

So far i am very impressed overall, the size, it's very small, is beautiful as it is the build quality.

The lens has a seal at the mount and to mount it to the cam you need quite some force, holding the lens close to the mount while mounting is not the way to go because focus ring and aperture ring are very close nearby.
You can easily change the aperture ring while focusing.
My first impressions about the optics are very good (looks very sharp to the extremes) as well but as said i need more time and different situations with it (finding out about field curvature etc...).
I was using the Distagon ZE 2.8/21 with Metabones adaptor before, this combination is fantastic but way to heavy and very big. I expect the Loxia to be as good but much more handy. The lens is expensive.
I hope that helped a little bit...

Cheers
werner

jfirneno

Hi John,
thank's for you remarks.

Regarding the Loxia 21 i can't give a final verdict because the lens is quite new for me and i need a little more shooting with it.

So far i am very impressed overall, the size, it's very small, is beautiful as it is the build quality.

The lens has a seal at the mount and to mount it to the cam you need quite some force, holding the lens close to the mount while mounting is not the way to go because focus ring and aperture ring are very close nearby.
You can easily change the aperture ring while focusing.
My first impressions about the optics are very good (looks very sharp to the extremes) as well but as said i need more time and different situations with it (finding out about field curvature etc...).
I was using the Distagon ZE 2.8/21 with Metabones adaptor before, this combination is fantastic but way to heavy and very big. I expect the Loxia to be as good but much more handy. The lens is expensive.
I hope that helped a little bit...

Cheers
werner
Thanks Werner. Yes that was quite helpful. I tried out the Loxia 50mm so I have experience with the tight o-ring fit and the lack of area to grip while twisting it on and off. But I'm happy to hear that so far it seems fairly sharp on the corners. I'll check back with you in a few months to see what you think then. A good 21mm landscape lens is something I've been interested in for a good while.

Barry Haines

Werner:

I think your composition demonstrates the strength of the true wide angle lens and where to use it. Excellent. I am very interested in the Loxia 21mm (and some of the Voigtlander ultras coming out soon). Would you be willing to critique the 21mm? i'm interested in the overall character but also any technical weaknesses you may have found.

Thanks
Hi John, I know that question was aimed at Werner but I did write you out a Loxia 21mm Pro's and Con's list on the other thread when you asked the question over there...hoping that it would be of some help to you (not sure if you saw it or not)...Cheers Barry
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/57143-fun-21mm-loxia-2.html#post680807

Taken a couple of hours ago (BLENCOMO)
Please click on “Enlargement” below....Many thanks Barry

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member

Always like to see your local pics Annna, and thanks to all the posters in this thread for great quality stuff:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Sharif Abdou

A7R + FE 55/1.8; 8 images stitched in portrait orientation.

This is an older one, shot in December of 2014 with the original A7R. Montreal from the top of Mount Royal. I screwed up the nodal point, it was freezing that day and I was working in a rush, so the panorama bows unnaturally. Still getting the hang of stitch panoramas.

Sharif

Attachments

jfirneno

Hi John, I know that question was aimed at Werner but I did write you out a Loxia 21mm Pro's and Con's list on the other thread when you asked the question over there...hoping that it would be of some help to you (not sure if you saw it or not)...Cheers Barry
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/57143-fun-21mm-loxia-2.html#post680807
Hi Barry:

No I didn't see it. I had stopped going back to the thread and didn't get any notification.

Very interesting. So the corners are very sharp. Excellent.

Thanks for the report.

Lucille

My twin turbo GTO, in the darkness of night.

A7S, 28mm f/2, ISO400, 1/250sec.

D

Deleted member 7792

Taken a couple of hours ago (BLENCOMO)
Please click on “Enlargement” below....Many thanks Barry

Barry, shouldn't Doc Martin and Louisa be in there somewhere? ;)

You're really rockin' the Loxia 21mm. Well done.

Joe

Barry Haines

Barry, shouldn't Doc Martin and Louisa be in there somewhere? ;)

You're really rockin' the Loxia 21mm. Well done.

Joe
Thanks Joe....21mm is a great lens...I'm thoroughly enjoying it at the moment. :thumbup:

The Doc was out for lunch (again with Louisa) I was doing a locum...have you need of assistance then?...I'm great at putting bandages on cut fingers :ROTFL:

Entering Plymouth Harbour...21mm Loxia A7RII WO 1/8 sec ISO320 Handheld

Last edited:

Annna T

Thanks Joe....21mm is a great lens...I'm thoroughly enjoying it at the moment. :thumbup:
I was set on getting one too, renouncing to the Batis which still can't be found in stock here, while the Loxia is announced available in 2-3 weeks. But I'm a bit worried by your remark that the hyper focal is hard to find due to the very short course of the focusing ring between 2m and infinite.

Barry Haines

I was set on getting one too, renouncing to the Batis which still can't be found in stock here, while the Loxia is announced available in 2-3 weeks. But I'm a bit worried by your remark that the hyper focal is hard to find due to the very short course of the focusing ring between 2m and infinite.
Hi Annna...Just a bit of pre-testing is all that is required, it's not insurmountable just a little annoying, I wouldn't let that put you off getting one!
Knowing what I know now...I would definitely buy one again "INSTANTLY" if I lost it!
In other words it's a "LONGTIME" keeper for me...Hope that inspires you with confidence to B-I-N.
Cheers Barry

Plymouth Harbour Lights...35mm Distagon A7RII WO 0.3sec ISO200 Handheld

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.