The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annna T

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Anna
"One of the negs I photographed with the A7r2 and FE 90mm macro and then inverted in LR."
How did you resolve your Newton rings problem and what lighting did you use?
Thanks,
Paul
I have got a LED light table from Dörr (this one : https://www.brack.ch/doerr-leuchtpult-lp-400-led-311753 )
and also a reproduction set (this one : https://www.brack.ch/doerr-repro-stand-h-75-set-311745 )

Compared to two different light tables I had long ago (and still have), the light is much more uniform and the device much less cumbersome. I'm using the repro stand without the lamps and put the led light table on the plate of the reprostand. I'm very happy with those recent two purchases : the camera is perfectly level without much trial and error and it is very easy to keep things squared.

I didn't find any solution for the Newton rings with the acrillic glass, so I stopped using them. I just put the negs on the light table. I don't even use a holder because it would slow things down a little. There is a little plastic ridge near the edge of the light table (the kind under which physicians clip their Xrays plates) and it is easy to slide the negs along it.

I'm a little deceived about the Newton's rings : the results were slightly sharper with the acryllic glass, but there was another drawback, it was attracting dust like mad. And it was also complicating the changing of negs. Without them the process is much speedier.

I know that people using pro scanner where applying gel on their negs to avoid that problem. But I'm not ready to do that, it is way too much hassle.

One of the negs scanned this past week : Santa Cruz de Tenerife, January 2000, Contax G2 "scanned" with the A7r2 and FE 90mm F2.8 macro.

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, 2000_01C05_028-Modifiera7r2i
by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

Last edited:

Annna T

Thank you Annna for your very kind comment :) That could equally be said of your picture.
I like the subtleties in La Maya with the gentle clouds swirling around the base of the peak...Excellent
Please don’t ever ask me to take a picture from ANY of my windows...I live in the Camel Valley which is lovely but unfortunately it’s filling up a bit to rapidly IMHO with new builds!

In desperate need of some TLC
Thank you Barry that is very kind of you too. Concerning the sight from my window, photography is often making things prettier than they are ! Mainly the camera can be pretty selective about what is shown and what not.

Barry Haines

Thank you Barry that is very kind of you too. Concerning the sight from my window, photography is often making things prettier than they are ! Mainly the camera can be pretty selective about what is shown and what not.
Annna, you are most welcome...You do live in an outstanding beautiful area :)
BTW the gel is a PIA to deal with, avoid if at all possible would be my advice, otherwise you will need to wash all of your neg’s afterwards and use a wetting agent to prevent streaking, then hang them out in a dust free environment to allow them to dry out naturally is the best method IMHO....It’s all to much hassle as you say :(

This image I have entitled as Childe’s Tomb, no it’s not the mound right in front of you...It’s just on the other side of Fox Tor (Grimpen) Mire that I have pointed out by a small black circle.
With the 21mm Loxia it’s just too far away to make it out clearly (a couple of pixels in size) and far to dangerous this time of year to even attempt crossing the mire to get any closer, although that was my original intention.
The reason for even mentioning it...is just excuse for yet another grisly Dartmoor tale :D

The Legend of Childe the Hunter
+
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childe's_Tomb

Childe the Hunter

According to legend, the cross (much better seen here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childe's_Tomb#/media/File:Childe's_tomb_1.jpg ) was erected over the kistvaen (burial chamber) of Childe the Hunter, who was Ordulf, son of Ordgar, an Anglo Saxon Earl of Devon in the 11th century. The name Childe is probably derived from the Old English word cild which was used as a title of honour.

Legend has it that Childe was in a party hunting on the moor when they were caught in some changeable weather. Childe became separated from the main party and was lost. In order to save himself from dying of exposure, he killed his horse, disemboweled it and crept inside the warm carcass for shelter. He nevertheless froze to death, but before he died, he wrote a note to the effect that whoever should find him and bury him in their church should inherit his Plymstock estate.

His body was found by the monks of Tavistock Abbey, who started to carry it back. However, they heard of a plot to ambush them by the people of Plymstock, at a bridge over the River Tavy. They took a detour and built a new bridge over the river, just outside Tavistock. They were successful in burying the body in the grounds of the Abbey and inherited the Plymstock estate.

Last edited:

frozenbb

Keep out. (split toned)

Title taken from a worn out hand-painted sign, visible just below the bright cloud.

nsng

Tribal Photos from the south. A7r2 w/Fe55 and 180 Apo-Elmarit-R

dchew

Welcome to Winter...

Two-image stitch Leica AA50

Batis 25

jotloob

Subscriber Member

Dave
Although I don't like winter , I love your images . The first one is :thumbs: .

dchew

Dave
Although I don't like winter , I love your images . The first one is :thumbs: .
Thanks Jurgen. What is that saying - If life gives you winter, make winter images! Or something to that effect.

Ciao,
Dave

Barry Haines

Some rocks from Bodmin Moor...The first one is known as the Cheesewring
Everything here in Cornwall seems to have at least one story attached to it and the Cheesewring is no exception https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheesewring

The local legend says that the Cheesewring is the result of a contest between a man and a giant. When Christianity had just been introduced to the British Islands, the giants who lived at the top of the mountains were not happy about it. The saints had invaded their land and were declaring their wells as sacred. One of the larger giants, Uther, was given the task of ridding their land of the saints. He confronted the frail Saint Tue, who proposed a rock throwing contest. If Uther won, the saints would leave Cornwall. If Saint Tue won, then the giants would convert to Christianity. Uther took his turn first and easily threw a small rock to the top of nearby Stowe's Hill. Tue prayed for assistance, and picking up a huge slab found it was very light. One after the other, they threw their rocks, stacking them up in perfect piles. When the score was twelve stones each, Uther threw a thirteenth stone, but it rolled down the hill. Tue picked up this fallen stone, and as he lifted it, an angel appeared to carry it to the top of the pile of rocks. Seeing this, Uther conceded, and most of the giants decided to follow Christianity after that.

Chris C

Barry Haines

Barry - You still drive this exiled East Cornishman crazy with pictures of my homeland stomping grounds. I know the Cheesewring extremely well, but I wonder if you know about Daniel Gumb. If you are interested, here's a present as a starting point :

Daniel Gumb's House | UK | The Modern Antiquarian.com

................ Chris
Thank you Chris....Strangely I didn't know about it!...yet I must have walked past it on several occasions...Cheers Barry

Boat Lane...IR blended with colour
A7R + 55MM FE F1.8

Last edited:

Annna T

Great pictures this evening Barry. I like the last one (boat lane) with its delicate colors a lot. Difficult to post after you ..

But here another from my window picture. It shows the vineyards hanging in terraces on the slopes above Sion. This little hill is a perfect illustration of the changes going on in the culture of vines : former small lots bordered and sustained by stone walls were ubiquitous and there were many owners of small lots. But they are no more adapted to mecanisation and small domains are no more profitable : so now you can see the big lots owned by much less vine producers replacing the smaller ones, like the one at the top of the hill. Here there is a mix of large lots and small lots. They come with a serious drawback when the slopes are steep and there are strong rains, the erosion can be very important and there are occasional landslides. Those large domains makes the landscape much less photogenic !

A7r plus 70-200mm @ 197mm.

Snow on the vineyards 20160214_025a7r2i-2
by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

frozenbb

More fun with fog banks. (Annna, your misty mountain shots are inspiring!)

Vapors #2 (copper-toned)

Taken last week on the ferry to Vancouver.

Annna T

That sculpture by Igor Mitoraj is named "Per Adriano" and stands in front of the Teatro Guimerá, Plaza de la Isla de la Madeira, Santa Cruz de Tenerife. There is a similar one standing at the main entrance of the British museum (or it was there when I visited).

Contax G2 film, "scanned" with the A7r2 and FE 90mm F2.8 macro.

Santa Cruz de Tenerife 2000_01C05_037-m3a7r2i
by hhh rrr, sur Flickr

Barry Haines

That sculpture by Igor Mitoraj is named "Per Adriano" and stands in front of the Teatro Guimerá, Plaza de la Isla de la Madeira, Santa Cruz de Tenerife. There is a similar one standing at the main entrance of the British museum (or it was there when I visited).

Contax G2 film, "scanned" with the A7r2 and FE 90mm F2.8 macro.

Santa Cruz de Tenerife 2000_01C05_037-m3a7r2i
by hhh rrr, sur Flickr
Hi Annna, I’m pretty sure the one outside the British Museum moved on a while ago now and it’s doing the rounds elsewhere!...In fact Vivek photographed it a little while back earlier within this thread

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50257-fun-sony-a7-series-cameras-all-them-94.html#post632727

I photographed the same one as Vivek when it was (newer) in better shape outside the British Museum back in 2002 (see below) but with 400asa film either with my Leica M4 or M6 together with my Voigtlander 15mm Mk1 or Leica 21mm Elmarit (I confess I cheated and used a film scanner rather than the 90mm Macro :) )
That one was known in the UK as the “Light of the moon” or it’s original title I believe is “Luci di Nara”
Cheers Barry

Last edited:

Annna T

Hi Annna, I’m pretty sure the one outside the British Museum moved on a while ago now and it’s doing the rounds elsewhere!...In fact Vivek photographed it a little while back earlier within this thread

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50257-fun-sony-a7-series-cameras-all-them-94.html#post632727

I photographed the same one as Vivek when it was (newer) in better shape outside the British Museum back in 2002 (see below) but with 400asa film either with my Leica M4 or M6 together with my Voigtlander 15mm Mk1 or Leica 21mm Elmarit (I confess I cheated and used a film scanner rather than the 90mm Macro :) )
That one was known in the UK as the “Light of the moon” or it’s original title I believe is “Luci di Nara”
Cheers Barry
Hi Barry, that is funny. I remember it now. Are you sure it was the same as the one near the British Museum ? That sculptor was quite prolific..

BTW : I got a picture of the one in London too and that was in Aprile 2002. Photographed with a Leica M6 and T400CN film. "Scanned" with the A7r2 and FE90mm F2.8 macro.

British Museum, London Aprile 2002 - 2002_04L02_009a7r2i
by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

This bring back quite a lot of memories.. Since the mid-nineties and up to the early years of this century, I was an active participant in the Photoforum discussion list maintained by Andrew Davidhazy at the Rochester Institute (may be some other here were following it too ?). In 2001-2002, we initiated a fun little project named "pass the camera" : the first person in the chain bought a Kodak disposable cameras, took a picture and then sent it to the next participant, who took a picture and sent it to the next, untill the roll was full: our camera was named "Vagabond" and toured the world, starting in England and then going to Europe, Asia, Australia and finally in the US. I put up the website showing them at the end and met with the guy who had started our round in England in front of the British Museum.. and we took a picture of that travelling camera (I had to clone that out.. ) but here is it :

British Museum, London in Aprile 2002 2002_04L02_009a7r2i-2
by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.