The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Hi Barry, that is funny. I remember it now. Are you sure it was the same as the one near the British Museum ? That sculptor was quite prolific..
Annna, funny as you say and a bit of a coincidence that we were both there around about the same time :)
I have flipped mine the right way round now (had the neg upside down - Ilford Delta 400 in one of my accutance developers to emphasize the grain).
Obviously mine is the same as yours...Almost certain ours is the same as Vivek's (They are also named the same) after a bit of research...Was aware of other variations by this sculptor but they are all very slightly different from one another either in size and shape.
The British Museum did move this one around within the grounds quite a bit over the years and it's no longer there now AFAIK.
I take my hat off to you with scanning/photographing with your A7RII your negatives...I tried and failed dismally.
I have loads more images of this sculpture taken at the same time but I would be straying OT as mine aren't related to the Sony A7 series cameras as yours are...nice one Annna.
Cheers Barry

Lucille

Rockabilly in Albuquerque at the Launchpad...

Sony A7S, 55mm Zeiss f/1.8, ISO640, 1/160sec.

Annna T

Annna, funny as you say and a bit of a coincidence that we were both there around about the same time :)
I have flipped mine the right way round now (had the neg upside down - Ilford Delta 400 in one of my accutance developers to emphasize the grain).
Obviously mine is the same as yours...Almost certain ours is the same as Vivek's (They are also named the same) after a bit of research...Was aware of other variations by this sculptor but they are all very slightly different from one another either in size and shape.
The British Museum did move this one around within the grounds quite a bit over the years and it's no longer there now AFAIK.
I take my hat off to you with scanning/photographing with your A7RII your negatives...I tried and failed dismally.
I have loads more images of this sculpture taken at the same time but I would be straying OT as mine aren't related to the Sony A7 series cameras as yours are...nice one Annna.
Cheers Barry
I'm still experimenting with the use of the A7r2 as a scanner. I hoped that it would be faster than using my old film scanner (a Nikon Coolscan 4000 which is now obsolete and there are no more drivers for it). The use of the A7r2 isn't necessarily a benefit over the Canon 6D : the camera easily outresolves the film and the results seems less sharp than with the Canon. The problem of course is dealing with the orange mask. In LR or ACR, you can't move the color temperature slider as far as needed you are limited at 2000K and this creates problems. I have found a software (PS plugin) named ColorPerfect which has profiles for a lot of film and it does quite well with color. But its controls are quite different of what we are used to in the raw converters. So there is a learning curve. In my test with the trial version the colors came out very good.. So I paid for the license, but now that I have switched to another roll, the colors aren't necessarily better than what I was able to get with LR. Hopefully my skills will improve. But that said, you still need a lot of time, more than I hoped. The idea is to photograph all the negs, make a general correction on the whole roll, pick up the best and scan these on the Nikon Coolscan (or pass on that if the results are enough). I think the results would still be better with the Coolscan in terms of sharpness. What is sure is that the actual results are better than what I can get on the Epson Perfection flatbed scanner.

Annna T

I have flipped mine the right way round now (had the neg upside down - Ilford Delta 400 in one of my accutance developers to emphasize the grain). (..)
Cheers Barry
Ha.. I was wondering whether I had shot all my negs in the wrong way.. Glad to hear I hadn't.

Barry Haines

What is sure is that the actual results are better than what I can get on the Epson Perfection flatbed scanner.
Annna, coincidence strikes again!...I dug out and dusted down my old Epson 3200 Photo Flatbed scanner to scan that neg of mine....not a great film scanner for 35mm as you say but that's all I have left nowadays and I won't be buying another one...It was better/OK for my larger 6x6/6x7/6x9cm and 5"x4" negs...Cheers Barry

Barry Haines

Unfortunately my old Epson flatbed scanner isn’t capable of scanning my old LF 10”x8” transparencies or negatives.
So I am also trying out a similar approach although a cruder method to Annna using the A7RII and 90mm Macro lens for copying.
I just tried photographing them in their archival glassine backed sleeves with a certain degree of success (crystal clear at the front and frosted on the rear of the sleeves), which are then stuck to a window pane of glass, this seems to get over the Newton ring problem on one side and it wasn’t really noticeable on the shiny side either, it also diffuses to a degree the rear lighting source but the diffused sleeves tend to make the images look a little grainier than the truth, smaller formats don't look so good using this method.

I took the original image way back in November 1988 with a hand built Gandolfi Traditional 10x8 wooden field camera using Ektachrome sheet film.
Gandolfi Cameras http://www.gandolficameras.com/ were one of the earliest camera manufacturers Founded in 1885 about 3 years before Eastman Kodak Co.
I was taking a few personal images hoping to drum up some new photographic business at the time, this one was taken in the Isle of Dogs (Docklands, London).
This is the very earliest commencement of construction for 1 Canada Square at Canary Wharf (The tallest building in the UK 1990 -2010)
You could see back then from ground level an uninterrupted view from South Quay all the way to Billingsgate Fish Market.
I have never shown this image before and thought some of you might be interested - I also worked back then on the engineering design team for 1 Canada Square.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun With Sony _____

When do those planetary items date from?
Thanks
Paul
Paul,

You may be as astonished as I am to learn that I actually know this:)

The one on the left is by Jan Felkl in 1880 and the one on the right is by Ernst Schotte und Co in 1870.

Perhaps you know they are both 'tellurium mit lunarium' to demonstrate the earth's movement round the sun together with the moon's journey round earth, to explain the seasons, day and night, and solar and lunar eclipses.

I, of course only know this because sometimes in museums and galleries there is a description alongside an exhibit which interests me and I snap that description quickly. It also says 'not to scale', I mean, c'mon, a candle as big as the moon!!

I hope I got all that right.

These in the wonderful Globe Museum in Vienna, they said the only one in the world. Charming.

2 more pics therof, very dark in there, these are 2000 & 2500 asa.

gurtch

I'm still experimenting with the use of the A7r2 as a scanner. I hoped that it would be faster than using my old film scanner (a Nikon Coolscan 4000 which is now obsolete and there are no more drivers for it). The use of the A7r2 isn't necessarily a benefit over the Canon 6D : the camera easily outresolves the film and the results seems less sharp than with the Canon. The problem of course is dealing with the orange mask. In LR or ACR, you can't move the color temperature slider as far as needed you are limited at 2000K and this creates problems. I have found a software (PS plugin) named ColorPerfect which has profiles for a lot of film and it does quite well with color. But its controls are quite different of what we are used to in the raw converters. So there is a learning curve. In my test with the trial version the colors came out very good.. So I paid for the license, but now that I have switched to another roll, the colors aren't necessarily better than what I was able to get with LR. Hopefully my skills will improve. But that said, you still need a lot of time, more than I hoped. The idea is to photograph all the negs, make a general correction on the whole roll, pick up the best and scan these on the Nikon Coolscan (or pass on that if the results are enough). I think the results would still be better with the Coolscan in terms of sharpness. What is sure is that the actual results are better than what I can get on the Epson Perfection flatbed scanner.
Anna:
I have a Nikon 8000 Coolscan, and it is wonderful for negs from 35mm up to 2 1/4"x3 1/4" using Vuescan. I think Vuescan also supports the Nikon 4000.
Dave

gurtch

Anna:
I have a Nikon 8000 Coolscan, and it is wonderful for negs from 35mm up to 2 1/4"x3 1/4" using Vuescan. I think Vuescan also supports the Nikon 4000.
Dave
Anna: way off topic here: please go to this page on my web site:
http://www.modernpictorials.com/alexander_gurtcheff_images_circa.html

My Father's negatives were lost for 72 years, and returned to me by a stranger. 225 rolls, 16 per roll, 645 size. I used my Epson V700 flat bed to contact print all 225 rolls. I put each roll of film in it's own 8.5"x11" clear page, then laid the entire page on the platen and scanned it at rather low res. I then made LaserJet B&W "(not real high res) contact prints, then filed each contact sheet with it's page of negatives. The best ones I used my Nikon Coolscan 8000 and scanned (with glass neg carrier) at 4000 dpi. I made huge prints from the scans.
Best
Dave in NJ

Annna T

Barry, the result of your scan is impressive and the picture itself gorgeous.

Gurtch : the Coolscan 4000 is supported officially by Vuescan and was working untill I made one update too much. Then it became incredibly slow and often crashed the system, or the scanner wasn't detected, etc. Plus even when it was working correctly, it was slow. The story of your fathers negs is incredible and you have got a very nice samples of them on the webpage you linked.

Another neg "scanned" with the A7r2. The original was shot in January 2000 with a panoramic camera (the Horizon), kindly lent by a friend.

Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife - 2000_01H12_30-0a7r2i-4
by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

Last edited:

Jose Viegas

Monasterio de El Escorial, Madrid, Spain. A7RII + Batis 25mm @ f11 · ISO100 · 20s

Status
Not open for further replies.