The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

seb

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

A nice day today, at last. On the way home, I had to take out my loxia 21:
The face of Zurich is changing. The industrial part was sold to investors a few years ago and they build luxury flats in "sky scrapers". But they build too much and sold them to people without roots in the city itself. Some of them are still not sold and the whole area has a touch of dead now. Only one owner didn't sell his old building, but put "Resistance" in the same letters as the nearby Hotel Renaissance on the face of the building.

Europabrücke

Kreis 5

Renaissance Resistance

Last edited:

Annna T

May I ask what inspired / attracted you to take this shot and its composition the way it is? TIA.
Mmm that is a difficult question.. I'm not sure that I can answer, but may be some contextual information may help you understand what I'm after.

1) I'm selftaught in matters of photography. I have no special visual education apart of the fact that I shared the life of an architect for a few years. I have a scientific background having studied history/geography and specialized in urban studies and quantitative methods.

2) So I can tell you why the subject interest me : while I'm now retired, I have kept a strong interest in everything concerning urbanism, planning and architecture. I want to show the urban landscape and everyday's environment. I'm interested by space in general and how the human beings occupy and mark the territory. Those spaces are interesting to my eyes because this the frame/environment where people live. That is : I want to show unremarkable places because ordinary people live there. Well once you begin to ram a neighborhood, it is no more true that the buildings are unremarkable. You can see traces of different periods of the history and each neighborhood has its own character.

3) I know that I get more likes when I show the pictures of the two castles.. But they are a little too "postcardish". Even if I do still appreciate that view and catch a picture each time the light or weather is a little special.

4) Getting a good and successful picture of those everyday environments which a priori are unremarkable is much more compelling and probably a little too much for my skills. But I'm trying hard..

5) that building with its flat facade and the serial repetition and variation of the position of the windows has something fascinating for me. I liked the red toboggan and the dwarfed playground. That said : may be I shouldn't have shown that picture : in fact I would have liked a slightly larger view (but I only had a the 24mm and 90mm, while the 45mm would have been better.

6) I want to show the soul of these places. I have strange tastes when it comes to buildings .. I like everything modern and contemporary which many people think are ugly. But well, I'm probably not really up to the task. I examine carefully every picture of Michiel Shierbeek because his subjects of interest are near of mines and I study how he solved problems I also have (how he is dividing space, where he cut the frame, how he balance things, etc..

7) to sum up : I should leave my window and practice more in order to get better at what I want to achieve.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Mmm that is a difficult question.. I'm not sure that I can answer, but may be some contextual information may help you understand what I'm after.

1) I'm selftaught in matters of photography. I have no special visual education apart of the fact that I shared the life of an architect for a few years. I have a scientific background having studied history/geography and specialized in urban studies and quantitative methods.

2) So I can tell you why the subject interest me : while I'm now retired, I have kept a strong interest in everything concerning urbanism, planning and architecture. I want to show the urban landscape and everyday's environment. I'm interested I space in general and how the human occupy and mark the territory. Those spaces are interesting to my eyes because this the frame where people live. That is I want to show unremarkable places because ordinary people live there. Well once you begin to ram a neighborhood, it is no more true that the buildings are unremarkable. You can see traces of different periods of the history.

3) I know that I get more likes when I show the pictures of the two castles.. But they are a little too "postcardish". Even if I do still appreciate that view and catch a picture each time the light or weather is a little special.

4) Getting a good and successful picture of those everyday environments which a priori are unremarkable is much more compelling and probably a little too much for my skills. But I'm trying hard..

5) that building with its flat facade and the serial repetition and variation of the position of the windows has something fascinating for me. I liked the red toboggan and the dwarfed playground. That said : may be I shouldn't have shown that picture : in fact I would have liked a slightly larger view (but I only had a the 24mm and 90mm, while the 45mm would have been better.

6) I want to show the soul of these places. I have strange tastes when it comes to buildings .. I like everything modern and contemporary which many people think are ugly. But well, I'm probably not really up to the task. I examine carefully every picture of Michiel Shierbeek because his subjects of interest are near of mines and I study how he solved problems I also have (how he is dividing space, where he cut the frame, how he balance things, etc..

7) to sum up : I should leave my window and practice more in order to get better at what I want to achieve.

Thanks for looking.

Thank you so much Anna for your candid answer. Much appreciated.
Several of your recent urban images, I think, already gave a clue about your interests and motivations.
I certainly would encourage you to pursue your intent as outlined in point 6) above.
If you do, these kind of images could become your personal signature, easily recognizable as such. All good!
As I have mentioned before I typically recognize Michiel Shierbeek's images by their style before looking who posted the image.

Now to your specific image and why I asked my question.
I also picked up on the red and the small play ground for children, as well as on the uniformity of window layout and their shades, or whatever the horizontal and vertical strips are.
However, I felt the image was unfortunately cut off at the top, may be even a bit to the right.
Your point 5) gives an explanation for that. Many thanks.

Again, thanks for posting the image and your candid explanations.

Annna T

Thank you so much Anna for your candid answer. Much appreciated.
Several of your recent urban images, I think, already gave a clue about your interests and motivations.
I certainly would encourage you to pursue your intent as outlined in point 6) above.
If you do, these kind of images could become your personal signature, easily recognizable as such. All good!
As I have mentioned before I typically recognize Michiel Shierbeek's images by their style before looking who posted the image.

Now to your specific image and why I asked my question.
I also picked up on the red and the small play ground for children, as well as on the uniformity of window layout and their shades, or whatever the horizontal and vertical strips are.
However, I felt the image was unfortunately cut off at the top, may be even a bit to the right.
Your point 5) gives an explanation for that. Many thanks.

Again, thanks for posting the image and your candid explanations.
Thank you for your explanation and words of encouragement. seems that I really need to add the 45mm TSE to my lens collection :)
In fact, I had shot there about three years ago with the Canon 6d and wanted to revisit the place with the A7r. But it was very cold and may be that influenced the results, because I prefer what I did in 2013 to what I've got last week. Here is the former shot of that building (sometimes I like to have people in them, but very small and from far away) :

Vissigen, Sion - 20130505_178_6di
by hhh rrr, sur Flickr

Last edited:

f 10

Le Levandou
a7r | FE 4/16-35mm @ 22mm

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Thank you for your explanation and words of encouragement. seems that I really need to add the 45mm TSE to my lens collection :)
In fact, I had shot there about three years ago with the Canon 6d and wanted to revisit the place with the A7r. But it was very cold and may be that influenced the results, because I prefer what I got in 2013 than what I've got last week. Here is the shot of that building (sometimes I like to have people in them, but very small and from far away) :

Vissigen, Sion - 20130505_178_6di
by hhh rrr, sur Flickr
Many thanks Anna. This is a great composition! Clear lines, no distractions. I like the image a lot. Thanks again!

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

A French Facade for Michiel, sleeping on my hard drive since 2008 :bugeyes:

A700 + Min 25-105D

frozenbb

Here are some snaps from yesterday afternoon.

A walk by a herring run.

Barry Haines

Tom, a very nice selection ^^^ I like the first and the last ones the best if I had to choose just two images.
Karl, a very striking image...Please could you tell us what the sign says below...I think it says Flying Folds....??? – TIA :)

Another shot of the Straining Tower - This one was taken from the Lake Vyrnwy Hotel
Handheld with the not so bad 70-200mm FE F4...(Well my copy is decent enough between 70-150mm)
Please click on Enlargement...Many thanks Barry

k-hawinkler

A stunning image Barry! Terrific post-processing! Thanks.

PS: Hi Barry, above I added a picture of the sign. :salute:

Last edited:

Barry Haines

A stunning image Barry! Terrific post-processing! Thanks.
Thank you Karl you are very kind :eek:

PS. Karl, just spotted it, thats quite amazing!...Thank you for uploading :thumbup:

I will make these the last two of the “Straining Tower” out of for fear of being to repetitive :sleep: but these are taken at opposite ends of the lake
They help you paint a picture in your mind of the beautiful Welsh countryside in this area...Thanks for looking everybody
A7RII + FE F4 70-200mm

Last edited:

Another anthropomorphic tree

This one is nicknamed the FrankenTree

Somewhat over-sharpened, because I linked it from Flickr

Kirk

FrankenTree by Kirk Thompson, on Flickr

A7rII & Leica MATE @ 35mm (2 files stitched)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.