The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsng

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Awesome.
I'd love to visit.
They look like lit up jellyfish.
In my opinion you should enter the last photo in some contest.
It's so unique you might win. :)
Vesak Day is in May. If you intend to visit Borobudur, the best hotel is the Manohara which is next to site for this event. But you will need to book months ahead. You can photograph Borobudur from a hill in the early morning for the sunrise. Unfortunately, it was too cloudy that morning when I was there. There is a nearby Hindu temple, Prambanan. It is worth a visit for the sunset shot.

The last photo was captured with the 19mm lens. Not certain about this being a winning shot, but thanks for the comments.

teeraash

Hi K-H and All:

Below are images from center, extreme right corner, extreme left corner at 100% and the uncropped image taken at f11. The scene was quite hazy and I used LR tricks to bring it alive albeit with added noise. Let me know what do you think. Greatly appreciate your input. Should be noted that you can see some reflections as I took this image through dirty window. :~(

_DSC5636-2.jpg_DSC5636-3.jpg_DSC5636.jpg_DSC5636-5.jpg

k-hawinkler

Congratulations teeraash!
My eyes don't see any smearing in the corners.
So, I think your copy is as good as it gets.
If your lens behaves like Choppy, it should not be corner smearing at f/8 or f/5.6 either.
You only need to go to f/11 for DOF.
Thanks!

teeraash

Congratulations teeraash!
My eyes don't see any smearing in the corners.
So, I think your copy is as good as it gets.
If your lens behaves like Choppy, it should not be corner smearing at f/8 or f/5.6 either.
You only need to go to f/11 for DOF.
Thanks!
F8 is passable on my copy but I would not use f5.6 if corner sharpness is a must. Probably mine is a step below the Choppy but this ultra wide still amazes me and I've seen much worse with 35,50 summilux or 28 elmarit.

k-hawinkler

F8 is passable on my copy but I would not use f5.6 if corner sharpness is a must. Probably mine is a step below the Choppy but this ultra wide still amazes me and I've seen much worse with 35,50 summilux or 28 elmarit.
Thanks, I see.

I have the 35, 50 Summiluxes and the 28 Summicron and Elmarit as well.
Those lenses are pretty much unuseable on a stock A7r2 if corners matter. :banghead:

scho

Re: Fun With Sony _____

An afternoon walk along Cayuga Inlet with the A6300 + Contax G 35/2 Planar via TechArt III adapter.

My wife patiently walking slowly ahead of me while I take photos.

A more energetic father and son running the trail.

Two guys with a kayak, SUP, and four dogs.

Barry Haines

Hi K-H and All:

Below are images from center, extreme right corner, extreme left corner at 100% and the uncropped image taken at f11. The scene was quite hazy and I used LR tricks to bring it alive albeit with added noise. Let me know what do you think. Greatly appreciate your input. Should be noted that you can see some reflections as I took this image through dirty window. :~(
It does look good Teera :)

Taken this afternoon on my trusty old A7R...It seemed quite strange to use after the A7RII...I was surprised how much I still like this camera :)

k-hawinkler

It does look good Teera :)

Taken this afternoon on my trusty old A7R...It seemed quite strange to use after the A7RII...I was surprised how much I still like this camera :)

Thanks Barry. A great shot with the A7r! It still delivers the goodies!

When my A7r2 was recently out of commission for, oh, almost a week, I used extensively my A7r and the Olympus E-M1, E-M5, and E-M5.2, all with their own power battery handgrip (PBH).

One thing I noticed, being used to the A7r2, was how much harder it is to push down the shutter button of the A7r as compared to that of the A7r2.

The other thing I managed to do was ruin two perfectly fine Lexar 64GB memory cards in the E-M5.2 with PBH.

Based on my experience with memory card corruption in my Leica M9 due to power management failures, I suspect something similar might have happened when the PBH battery was run down and the E-M5.2 failed to switch over to the internal battery or shut the camera down. Although I have used the A7r, E-M1, and E-M5 with their own PBHs similarly for long video shoots they didn't corrupt anything and simply switched over to the other battery or eventually powered down the camera. After these two catastrophic events in the E-M5.2 the memory cards can't even be formatted in any camera or in my computer. :banghead:

teeraash

So serene and beautiful Barry. I think all we need for the Alpha series are this Loxia and its older brother, the 50/2 and be done. But that would be no fun without testing, muddling, modifying and what have you. :D

Barry Haines

Thank you Teera...It's nice to travel light with just a couple of good MF lenses (21mm + 50mm Loxia's)

Likewise thanks Karl...It was your little thread that made me think twice...should I sell or keep the A7R....It does make a handy spare as you say.
Frankly I’m surprised my A7R is still working as I gave it a couple of years pretty heavy use...The battery doors wore out (catch) and needed replacing amongst other little annoyances but I still like it and will probably never sell it now....It still delivers as you say and feels pretty light as Annna mentioned earlier against the A7RII....That was unfortunate with the Lexars...sorry to hear.

Off to get some sleep now, it’s late here in Blighty...chat later guys...Cheers Barry

teeraash

I retract my words. At f5.6, extreme corner is not as bad as I thought. As a matter of fact, wide open at 4.5 is usable if one doesn't care much about some slight vignette.
P.S. These are all handheld so any inconsistencies are due to my long term caffeine overdosed :(

Extreme Left Corner, f4.5
[/url]_DSC5633.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

Extreme Left Corner, f5.6
[/url]_DSC5634.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

Extreme Left Corner, f8
[/url]_DSC5635.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

Extreme Left Corner, f11
[/url]_DSC5636.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

I missed something, or perhaps the discussion took a private turn – are you folks talking about the CV 15mm, the 21 Batis, and/or something else nicknamed 'Choppy'?

Kirk

teeraash

I missed something, or perhaps the discussion took a private turn – are you folks talking about the CV 15mm, the 21 Batis, and/or something else nicknamed 'Choppy'?

Kirk
Choppy is the name of Guy's Voig 15/4.5 vm mount which its fixed lens hood has been chopped so that it can be used with Lee's filter set and the likes. His copy is renowned for being sharp corner to corner and are used as reference for performance comparison. As a result more than ten if not hundred copies of this lens has been returned! If interested you can glance through 50 pages plus in Fredmiranda, Alternative gears, Voig 15/4.5 rolling review.

k-hawinkler

Kirk

According to http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50257-fun-sony-a7-series-cameras-all-them-863.html#post693235 post #8624 teeraash has a Voigtländer 15/4.5 V3, Sony FE mount.
Choppy is a Voigtländer 15/4.5 V3, VM mount version with chopped off petals by Guy Mancuso that on FM set the standard for excellent corner performance as Guy and Fred Miranda demonstrated.
I bought Choppy from Guy and use it with the TechART autofocus adapter on my A7r2. Fred sold his equally great 15/4.5 V3, Sony FE mount to Guy who turned it into Choppy 2. :facesmack: :LOL:
It seems to me teeraash won the 15/4.5 III lens lottery and has another outstanding copy!!!
I am still trying to get a good FE mount copy. The FE mount version is electronically fully integrated with the A7r2 for example.
The one I had was a lemon that I sent back, like so many copies were sent back by others.

Status
Not open for further replies.