The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

seb

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

I had (at last!) some time to go back to my holiday shots this february. Here are some more of Cabo Polonio (Uruguay):
It's an nature reserve to protect the darvin frog. In the middle of this nature reserve, there is a small fishing village and a few rocks with seals. In the 80s Hippies started to build some houses and a community there. Today it's a tourist magnet and some of the illegal builded houses are out of stone and can be rented.

All shots with A7RII + 28/2 or 90/2.8
(there are some more shots on flickr)

The Ute

I had (at last!) some time to go back to my holiday shots this february. Here are some more of Cabo Polonio (Uruguay):
It's an nature reserve to protect the darvin frog. In the middle of this nature reserve, there is a small fishing village and a few rocks with seals. In the 80s Hippies started to build some houses and a community there. Today it's a tourist magnet and some of the illegal builded houses are out of stone and can be rented.

All shots with A7RII + 28/2 or 90/2.8
(there are some more shots on flickr)

I like the last one the best.

V

Vivek

Like this. Do not like the mnochromed version.

mediumcool

Thanks, I was trying to see if B&W works with a slightly different view. Over all, I think I like the color version better as well :)
I’m going to get all critical; please don’t get upset with me! All that follows is personal opinion, of course. ;)

It’s a nice scene with a touch of menace, with the contrast between death and life as a theme, foreground-to-background. Both renders (was it shot RAW?) are much too contrasty IMO, with inky shadows, particularly in the dead stumps. And I find the colour version, which I also prefer, way too saturated—the blues in the BG are especially distracting. Is there any more sky available? I find the top of the frame a bit heavy. And a small amount of vignetting would concentrate the foreground—I use Capture One’s vignetting tool a lot; it can be used quite subtly.

Re the contrast, I open up shadows with C1’s Shadow HDR tool in just about every processed image from my a7 and Olympus E-M5, unlike with my seldom-used-any-more Leaf back.

I’d like to see a mono reworking of the image with some silvery mid-tones …

Hope you find this POV of some use.

[and is your monitor calibrated?] :p

Last edited:

Hi Ian:

Thanks for taking the time for your very thoughtful response - I think you're on the money with everything you say below. I tried to rework the picture with some of your feedback as best as I could. It looks like I've developed some post processing bad habits: aggressive cropping of the sky, a little heavy on the S-curve (that's what increased the contrast and saturation) etc. Also, once you mentioned it, I noticed the blue cast in the tree stump :-(

Anil

I’m going to get all critical; please don’t get upset with me! All that follows is personal opinion, of course. ;)

It’s a nice scene with a touch of menace, with the contrast between death and life as a theme, foreground-to-background. Both renders (was it shot RAW?) are much too contrasty IMO, with inky shadows, particularly in the dead stumps. And I find the colour version, which I also prefer, way too saturated—the blues in the BG are especially distracting. Is there any more sky available? I find the top of the frame a bit heavy. And a small amount of vignetting would concentrate the foreground—I use Capture One’s vignetting tool a lot; it can be used quite subtly.

Re the contrast, I open up shadows with C1’s Shadow HDR tool in just about every processed image from my a7 and Olympus E-M5, unlike with my seldom-used-any-more Leaf back.

I’d like to see a mono reworking of the image with some silvery mid-tones …

Hope you find this POV of some use.

[and is your monitor calibrated?] :p

mediumcool

Hi Ian:

Thanks for taking the time for your very thoughtful response - I think you're on the money with everything you say below. I tried to rework the picture with some of your feedback as best as I could. It looks like I've developed some post processing bad habits: aggressive cropping of the sky, a little heavy on the S-curve (that's what increased the contrast and saturation) etc. Also, once you mentioned it, I noticed the blue cast in the tree stump :-(

Anil
I can think of only two ways to further improve this version. One is to even out the sky’s colour and tone across the frame (I know that’s fiddling with Nature!), and I would desaturate the dead stumps somewhat to emphasise their deadness. And on my iMac’s screen, the shot looks a little yellow overall (but I haven’t calibrated for some time).

Talking about habits, it is so easy to get into a rut!

And a full-range mono version perhaps? ;)

Pradeep

Hi Ian:

Anil
Anil, I like the second version better, there is an obvious WB issue with the first one.

Regarding saturation, contrast, color vs monochrome etc. These are all highly personal tastes. What is interesting is that American photographers tend to favor high saturation and contrast whereas those in Europe and elsewhere like it toned down - at least this is what I've heard from many 'pros' and amateur photographers on various trips around the world.

If 500px is anything to go by, the trend now is for very high saturation/contrast with an almost HDR (though not quite) look to landscapes. Yes, one might hate that but if that's what the world wants, that's what the world gets. I am not a pro, don't intend to sell anything so I can do what I like with my images. For those who make a living from photography and to whom high contrast and saturation is anathema will find it hard to protest the work of one very well known Australian who shall remain nameless :D

One Australian whose work I definitely admire is Peter Eastway (I am sure Ian knows him). He does not make any bones about most of his images being worked on extensively before the final product.

But, to each his own, I guess.

A few from Hamburg, Germany

Harbor Tour

FE 28mm F2 - ƒ/5.6

(guy in striped shirt seems to be holding a Leica Q)

Zigaretten Machine

FE 28mm F2 - ƒ/9.0

Brahms Kontor Building

FE 70-300mm G - ƒ/8.0 @ 136.0 mm

By the Lake

VC 10mm F5.6 - ƒ/10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.