The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annna T

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

You are challenging us with this one Barry ! Playing games with DOF against us ;)

On one side, there is a very strong push to follow the leading lines, the trunk and the river bed, but then we land in the out of focus zone and struggle to follow the course of the creek till the end. You are tricking us :thumbup:

Beautiful texture in the foreground BTW.

Early evening light along the wooded stream.
A7RII + FE 35mm Distagon at F1.4

V

Vivek

"People just come and crash into my frames" --Vivek :p;):D:eek::):sleep::cool::cool::cool:

It looks like sometimes you hold your camera low, or Rolleiflex style, and look through the articulated screen?

Doisneau thought that was the most 'respectful' way to shoot.

Kirk
I am not kidding, Kirk. Even when I am behind a subject, they just crash in to my frame.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Yes, almost all the time the articulated screen at various angles and heights is used. I have used a 6x6 TLR a long while ago and the articulated LCD is much more sophisticated version of it. Fabulous aid! :thumbup:

Science of Sports: Where Sport and Street Meet

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
A7s, Jupiter-12 35/2.8, The Hague

Barry Haines

You are challenging us with this one Barry ! Playing games with DOF against us ;)

On one side, there is a very strong push to follow the leading lines, the trunk and the river bed, but then we land in the out of focus zone and struggle to follow the course of the creek till the end. You are tricking us :thumbup:

Beautiful texture in the foreground BTW.
Thank you Annna, you are always very generous and kind to me with your comments...much appreciated.

I think Kirk with his more recent landscape images has had me rethinking about using a fast aperture for landscape photography...Rather than I just do my normal routine thing of automatically stopping down to circa F/8 with the hyper focal point trying to keep everything as sharp as possible from near to far throughout the frame.
The only trick is choosing what the actual sharp point of focus is going to be (personally I prefer that point to be slightly just off of centre and fairly close to)...It can sometimes just give you that sense of depth of actually being there!
Likewise I do think that fast 35mm and 50mm lenses seem to achieve this look still the best, probably because those two FL's closer replicate the way we see things with the human eye.
The main problem is if one is only viewing the image on a small screen then the actual point of focus becomes less obvious and that sense of involvement gets totally lost...That is one of the reasons I still leave an "Enlargement" link below.

Thanks again, you gave me the opportunity to explain myself...Cheers Barry

PS. Annna, please show some more of those excellent long exposure night time street scenes that you have on flickr.

drevil

Staff member

While a videoshoot, i took this photo of surzhana, the dancer in the video. if the video will be available on youtube, i will link it later

D

Deleted member 7792

I think Kirk with his more recent landscape images has had me rethinking about using a fast aperture for landscape photography...Rather than I just do my normal routine thing of automatically stopping down to circa F/8 with the hyper focal point trying to keep everything as sharp as possible from near to far throughout the frame.
Barry, don't "rethink" it. Your style of landscape photography and your captures of Cornwall are exemplary. I've loved all of them and they complement the other styles of other photographers. Your "normal routine" is fantastic. Keep 'em coming.

Joe

Barry Haines

Barry, don't "rethink" it. Your style of landscape photography and your captures of Cornwall are exemplary. I've loved all of them and they complement the other styles of other photographers. Your "normal routine" is fantastic. Keep 'em coming.

Joe
Thank you Joe, likewise you are also very kind, hope you make it here one day and we can meet up, that would be excellent...I will try and mix them up a bit until then :)

Of course I like that image, but it's bad enough that just one of us fell off the sharpness wagon and is addicted to wide apertures.

My suggestion is shoot both ways, one at wide aperture and one at f8, to avoid the whole catastrophe.

Also your lenses might be too good for this kind of work. :rolleyes:

Kirk

Barry Haines

Very Nice, Barry. Now that's what I remember the Cornish coast looked like.
Thank you Pradeep, it's good old Lands End...Lot's of beautiful coastal walks at the most westerly point of England.
Cheers Barry

Annna T

Thank you Annna, you are always very generous and kind to me with your comments...much appreciated.

The only trick is choosing what the actual sharp point of focus is going to be (personally I prefer that point to be slightly just off of centre and fairly close to)...It can sometimes just give you that sense of depth of actually being there!
Likewise I do think that fast 35mm and 50mm lenses seem to achieve this look still the best, probably because those two FL's closer replicate the way we see things with the human eye.
The main problem is if one is only viewing the image on a small screen then the actual point of focus becomes less obvious and that sense of involvement gets totally lost...That is one of the reasons I still leave an "Enlargement" link below.

Thanks again, you gave me the opportunity to explain myself...Cheers Barry

PS. Annna, please show some more of those excellent long exposure night time street scenes that you have on flickr.
I'm like Joe Colson and enjoyed your usual routine quite a lot. But of course after a while one need to explore other things. Thanks for the kind words concerning my night pictures, although I'm not really sure to which ones you are thinking. I made a recent night outing, but it wasn't very fruitful. In fact it was rather deceiving : I was hoping to get a lot more lighted windows. But the school summer holidays have already begun and it was a hot friday evening.. so may be the inhabitants were either gone to Spain or Portugal (it is a neighborhood inhabited by many foreign workers) or enjoying a cold bear on a pub terrace. Whatever, I got much less light than I had anticipated. The lighted stair cases for instance could have made great subjects, but the light there last only a few minutes and then you have to wait for about 15minutes, more than my impatience tolerates. Plus a tripod doesn't make you very mobile if you have to hunt from one bloc to another and ooops, too late the light is already spent. But the temperature was nice and I spent an agreeable moment there.

But so here is one of that evening, taken in Rue de l'Envol, Sion-Ouest. The point on the left at some distance of the moon isn't a hot pixel. It is Jupiter who was supposed to encounter the moon a little later in the evening.

A7rm2 and Canon TSE 45mm F2.8

Rue de l'Envol, Sion - 20160709_032a7r2i by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

Pradeep

Thank you Pradeep, it's good old Lands End...Lot's of beautiful coastal walks at the most westerly point of England.
Cheers Barry

Yes, Land's End, of course. I may actually have a picture of it somewhere myself from when we visited in '87 or so. Spent six yrs in England, the Southwest clearly was the best, IMHO. Beautiful. Thanks for posting.

Pradeep

Thank you, Pradeep! :)

People just come and crash into my frames.

I have not been to NY but I thought it is a haven for street photography?
Vivek, sometimes you do get people to cooperate as in this instance. Taken with my Leica a while ago. If I may be allowed to indulge a little in this 'Sony A7 thread'.

001_20120324M9_1004096-Edit.jpg

Pradeep

Lest we forget...........

I find this one particularly poignant.

I uploaded another copy as the other one was messed up with the forum software - too much red in it. This is a monochrome version of the original with some color retained and a duotone treatment applied. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Pradeep

On a roll here :D

I really like this image. Anybody in NJ? Recognize this?

Last edited:

The Ute

On a roll here :D

I really like this image. Anybody in NJ? Recognize this?

Looks like The Grounds for Sculpture.
If it is I've been there numerous times even though I don't live in NJ.
Absolutely fabulous place.

Status
Not open for further replies.