The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annna T

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Barry, you are spoiling us this evening !

I like the "Secret Garden" picture very much. The bleach treatment is just right and the tones are beautiful, rendering a 3D effect. You have captured the essence of that statue.
By contrast the turquoise tint of the last one is a bit too much for my taste.

Of the flowers pictures, I like the Buckland Monachorum the most : the light is just fantastic, the processing perfect and those long plants are always very decorative.

Barry Haines

Barry, you are spoiling us this evening !

I like the "Secret Garden" picture very much. The bleach treatment is just right and the tones are beautiful, rendering a 3D effect. You have captured the essence of that statue.
By contrast the turquoise tint of the last one is a bit too much for my taste.

Of the flowers pictures, I like the Buckland Monachorum the most : the light is just fantastic, the processing perfect and those long plants are always very decorative.
Thank you Annna...Likewise you are doing some great images, beautifully processed I shall add...mmmm I can taste the grapes from here ;)....I'm off to get some :sleep::sleep::sleep: now...Cheers Barry

Annna T

Thank you Annna...Likewise you are doing some great images, beautifully processed I shall add...mmmm I can taste the grapes from here ;)....I'm off to get some :sleep::sleep::sleep: now...Cheers Barry
Well, it's a bit early in the season for the grapes : it will last at least two-three months before they are ripe. :) but you are welcome at that time :)

Barry Haines

Well, it's a bit early in the season for the grapes : it will last at least two-three months before they are ripe. :) but you are welcome at that time :)
2-3 months, ohh no that won't do!...I think I may very well have a nice bottle of trockenbeerenauslese from out your neck of the woods lying around somewhere :D

BLENCOMO treatment.

IMO the Secret Garden series is an exceptional accomplishment! I hope you'll shoot more there, not because the images you've shown so far are inadequate, but because it seems to be one of those 'magical places' whose potential takes time to fulfill.

As to toning, it's a pleasure to see so much experimentation. But my idea - if you don't mind my planning your future for you - is to pick the one toning that works best for the series, and make a lovely portfolio box that opens to reveal the Secret Garden. (Going all the way: perhaps the cover is bookbinder's cloth that matches or complements the toning.)

Or maybe you'd already thought of something like that, without needing my encouragement/interference?

Just my three cents/thruppence; apologies if overbearing.

Kirk

Barry Haines

IMO the Secret Garden series is an exceptional accomplishment! I hope you'll shoot more there, not because the images you've shown so far are inadequate, but because it seems to be one of those 'magical places' whose potential takes time to fulfill.

As to toning, it's a pleasure to see so much experimentation. But my idea - if you don't mind my planning your future for you - is to pick the one toning that works best for the series, and make a lovely portfolio box that opens to reveal the Secret Garden. (Going all the way: perhaps the cover is bookbinder's cloth that matches or complements the toning.)

Or maybe you'd already thought of something like that, without needing my encouragement/interference?

Just my three cents/thruppence; apologies if overbearing.

Kirk
Thank you Kirk you are very kind , I never find you overbearing but instead always helpful, insightful and encouraging + You are of course right in this instance, I should have perhaps stuck with one kind of toning so the series flowed harmoniously a bit better...Truth be told, I do like experimenting as you may have gathered by now :D I like seeing what does and doesn't work + The fact I have myself a new PC and monitor after many years of living in the dark ages so to speak, I can now see some of my shortcomings of what I was doing wrongly in the past (typically over sharpening and some really weird colour images...I'm sure it was pretty obvious to others but I was pretty much blissfully unaware up to a certain point)...The Eizo makes a BIG difference to me, in how I now process my images and goes some way to helping with my red and green colour blindness.
Your 35mm and 50mm fast WO B&W images have encouraged me to shoot a bit more WO in the landscape rather than always automatically stop down the aperture, which is what I have been doing for many years now...It doesn't always work but sometimes it does!...which is when I find it gratifying...Thanks :)

I have punched up the colours and stopped down the aperture in the shot below, so that one maybe not to your liking...Cheers Barry

Strolling down a Devonshire country footpath

dmward

A7R22016072509483SML.jpg

This is a 100% crop of a shot I made yesterday with new 70-300 G.
Even at 300mm the sea gull was quite small in the frame.
Processing in Lightroom included reducing highlight and shadows along with some clarity and sharpening.

Focus was set to continuous. F8.0 ISO 250 and 1/640. Camera was in Av with Auto ISO that's what dictated the 250 ISO and the shutter speed.

Much better than I expected. Will be interesting to see how camera/lens combo works with reasonable action when subject fills the frame.

Pradeep

View attachment 120125

This is a 100% crop of a shot I made yesterday with new 70-300 G.
Even at 300mm the sea gull was quite small in the frame.
Processing in Lightroom included reducing highlight and shadows along with some clarity and sharpening.

Focus was set to continuous. F8.0 ISO 250 and 1/640. Camera was in Av with Auto ISO that's what dictated the 250 ISO and the shutter speed.

Much better than I expected. Will be interesting to see how camera/lens combo works with reasonable action when subject fills the frame.
David this is interesting. I do not have a long lens to go with my Sony and usually take my Canon gear on wildlife trips. I am usually reluctant to use an adapted lens for reasons of slow AF. It looks like in the near future we may have more such lenses from Sony that would pair well with the the current A7 series or the next version.

Another interesting option would be to compare this lens with the Canon equivalent on a 7D2 vs the a6300. From what I hear, this lens is super sharp and if you put it on a Sony body capable of fast AF and rapid fire, it would work great for action shots, albeit limited at present to the APS-C format.

Barry Haines

Barry, I've really enjoyed your 'secret garden' series. As Kirk said perhaps a uniform treatment would be even more enticing. Nevertheless, a great set of images. Works so much better in monchrome.
To your pictures Barry: The positions of the two peoples are well chosen on the first. Wonderful processing.
Thanks guys for your feedback, much appreciated
:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.