The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Well, there is an issue. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1450502/1#13725892
You can either correct typical geometric distortions or the curvature of the rays - but not both at the same time. :banghead:
Hi Karl, or we could just turn our 10mm and 12mm lenses into choppies, slap a whopping great big SWA hood on the front of it to get in front of the bulbous front element then hopefully the flare would strike the flat surface of the 300mm diameter UV filter, then hopefully we would only have to correct for geometric distortions :ROTFL:
Being serious for a minute...I had a Sigma 12-24mm a decade ago on a Canon 5D MkI and and it did the same thing at the 12mm end (as did a fisheye of mine), I for one am not really that bothered by it (well not much that is :scry:).

Anna, without trying to stir things up...I personally like your portrait mode images a bit larger, even if I have to scroll up and down to see the whole image :thumbup:
I'm pretty sure you can send to Flickr whatever maximum size image you like (Give it a try...try 1601px high or 1599px high)...I'm pretty sure you are not restricted to those particular sizes...but you are if you send it lets say a really large image and it will default to certain smaller sizes as you say.

takomaru, thank you :)

k-hawinkler

Thank sep and Barry.

The 10/5.6 is the first lens I have come across that has this "feature".
Then I noticed that the 12/5.6 and Choppy, my 15/4.5 III have it to a lesser degree. Now that I know more about these lenses I should be in a better position to use my 10/5.6 and 15/4.5 lenses to their advantage.

I actually find the 10/5.6 more useful than the 15/4.5 - but both are keepers.
Initially I was going to get the 12/5.6 as well but I don't think I will now.
I should test my other UWA lenses as well, the Nikkor 14-24/2.8, Leica WATE 16-18-21/4, Leica 21/2.8, and some Fisheyes. Here in NM it's pretty much impossible to avoid the Sun in the frame most days.

Last edited:

jdphoto

Well Barry... It's definetly a good choice! :D:thumbs::salute:
It arrived today and I only had a few minutes before I went shopping for supper. Hahaha, so easy to use: f8, point, shoot. :)

Zürich Unterstrass (my neighbourhood)
(a7RII + CV 12/5.6)

I think composing with an ultra wide is hard to do, but you've managed to frame these beautifully. Distortion is usually easy to fix and you have plenty of crop space if needed.

seb

Here ist one from the weekend. People like getting a swim here. With the beginning of the autumn the ducks reclaim the stones next to the bank. It was a very hazy day, so there where almoust no shadows and contrast. I start to love working with such pictures (it's from the same day as the Kreis 5 series). :)

Reclaim the River
(a7RII + Loxia21/2.8)

Limmat

Barry: I like to be a part of both communities. But FM-Forums has a different quality to me. They are great in testing and the picture-thread is full of wonderful, perfectly processed pictures. But I like the more open-creative-testing character of this thread. We can be creative here and try out things. It's also much more familial here.

To JDPhoto: Thanks for your kind words.

To Annna: I love your Ruelle du Chapître shots. I would be happy to see more of these.
Ruelle du Chapître, Sion - 20160929_048a7r2i by Christiane Roh (rrr_hhh or Anna T), auf Flickr

Rue St-Théodule, Sion - 20160929_309a7r2i by Christiane Roh (rrr_hhh or Anna T), auf Flickr

Last edited:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun With Sony _____

:clap:

Here's another one from Köln, the square that attracted so much media attention around New Years Eve last year.

A6000 + E10-18/4
Sooooo strange to look at for me, having sat on these steps so often, walking across the trainstation to the Musikhochschule, or walking to the left, passing the shoping mall to make my way into the South of the City to have a drink where Wolfgang Niedeggen from BAP hung out every week. Many many years ago. Thanks, and yes, the center Altar shot is brilliant!!

Annna T

Anna, without trying to stir things up...I personally like your portrait mode images a bit larger, even if I have to scroll up and down to see the whole image :thumbup:
I'm pretty sure you can send to Flickr whatever maximum size image you like (Give it a try...try 1601px high or 1599px high)...I'm pretty sure you are not restricted to those particular sizes...but you are if you send it lets say a really large image and it will default to certain smaller sizes as you say.
Hi Barry,

You are right concerning the sizes at Flickr, one can upload at any size. It comes from the way I'm dealing with my pictures : I upload all of them with the longes side equal to 2048 pixels, which fits the tablet resolution. For the pictures appearing at GetDPI, there was a limit at 1200 for the longest side, but once you have uploaded your pictures at Flickr, if you are using the BBcode to embedd a picture, then the choice of sizes offered for resampling is limited to what I said (longest side 1600 or 1024 and smaller). This avoids the need to upload the same picture at different size which I find useful.

If you follow the link to the picture at Flickr, you should be able to view it at the original size of 2048 ? Can you ?

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Thanks Georg, glad you liked these familiar views for you.

Might recognize this as well, looking back from the Frankenplatz towards the Dom

A6000 + E10-18/4

Annna T

Hope things are better w your Mother.
The 55 is such a great lens.
It nears perfection on the A7RII.
Thank you The Ute, I love the 55mm too and here I was helped by the side light.
Thank you also for inquiring about my mother, you know she is 94 years old, so we don't expect her to go better; she is getting weaker from one day to the other, but she says she has no pains.

I like to look at your pictures, they bring back memories from a great travel I made there back in the nineties.

Barry Haines

Hi Barry,

You are right concerning the sizes at Flickr, one can upload at any size. It comes from the way I'm dealing with my pictures : I upload all of them with the longes side equal to 2048 pixels, which fits the tablet resolution. For the pictures appearing at GetDPI, there was a limit at 1200 for the longest side, but once you have uploaded your pictures at Flickr, if you are using the BBcode to embedd a picture, then the choice of sizes offered for resampling is limited to what I said (longest side 1600 or 1024 and smaller). This avoids the need to upload the same picture at different size which I find useful.

If you follow the link to the picture at Flickr, you should be able to view it at the original size of 2048 ? Can you ?

Annna, I didn't know until today that you were restricting/standardising your maximum image size to 2048px for your tablet.
Then yes, I agree you only have the two smaller Flickr resampled images (that are worth using) to work from, unless you decide to use the "Original" 2048px image and scroll about on your 1920x1080px display.
Just a suggestion but alternatively why not just add a "ENLARGEMENT" link like as I do, so viewers can go directly to the "Original" larger image and all the smaller versions...that is just a one click solution rather than having to go via your Flickr photostream first ENLARGEMENT

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.