The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurtch

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Thanks Georg for the thoughtful comments. I converted the image in Silver Efex and chose TRI-X and orange filter emulation, which was a favorite combination in my film/darkroom days, and yes the "grain" shows in the sky. It is possible to use Silver Efex, and not have film grain added....perhaps I should try iy here.
Thanks again
Dave

Hi Dave,

I was torn between liking the picture or not. Then I liked it. LOL
At first I thought that the texture of the sky looks too much... "enhanced?"... hence appearing somehwat sandy-grainy as the beach itself, on top, the centric horizon rarely works for me. So I thought there are not enough contrasting elements to really keep the attention. The fences, the water, the gulls, lovely composition. I guess in color, and less centered would work even better for my taste.

Nice beach! :)

V

Vivek

Seb, Delightful landscapes! :thumbs:

gurtch

Thanks Georg for the thoughtful comments. I converted the image in Silver Efex and chose TRI-X and orange filter emulation, which was a favorite combination in my film/darkroom days, and yes the "grain" shows in the sky. It is possible to use Silver Efex, and not have film grain added....perhaps I should try iy here.
Thanks again
Dave
Georg: Here it is in color before converting to B&W. I also changed the 3:2 ratio to 4:3.
Thanks for your comments
Dave
small jpg_DSC1702_3_4.jpg

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

Georg: Here it is in color before converting to B&W. I also changed the 3:2 ratio to 4:3.
Thanks for your comments
Dave
View attachment 123996
Hmm, now that implies that the gulls mysteriously appeared after b&w conversion. ;) - Just kidding, I am in a funny mood watching that DC spectacle as I type here. -

I still think it is a very lovely composition with the fences, footprints, the waterline and the sense of the wind direction given by the clouds movement. I probably would have been with my nose in the sand, having some of the smaller fence posts reaching into the sky more prominently and perhaps would have postitioned myself more to the right, closer to the fence in a different angle, leaving the first bigger post on the right out of the picture and starting with the smaller ones to lead into the scene may help to add some additional depth. May be adding some slight impact into the sky with a grad filter might transport the scene you saw better?

I photographed beachscapes for about 1.5 decades, hence I am not too good in offering unbiased opinions. Thanks Dave!

Shooting beachscapes quickly turns into a obsession once you tasted blood, doesn't it? So fascinating to visit the same beach over and over again, to find that every picture looks different.

Last edited:

Barry Haines

Excellent Werner ^^^

Trebah a beautiful sub-tropical garden here in South Cornwall...taken just a few days ago.
Really enjoying the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm F1.4 lens, it's sharp stopped down together with a lovely soft WO rendering.

mediumcool

Tried this in mono, with higher contrast, and the equivalent of an orange or red filter? DRAMA!

Waves Of Calatrava, by Werner Utsch—on Flickr

mediumcool

Yellow fruits

Sony a7 w/adapted MC W.ROKKOR – HH 35mm f/1.8 1/400 f/1.8 ISO 400

Barry Haines

Tried this in mono, with higher contrast, and the equivalent of an orange or red filter? DRAMA!
I very much enjoy this image in colour for it's soft tones and simplicity (It reminded me of one of those old Joel Meyerowitz images, in particular "The Arch" - Gateway Arch, St Louis )

Likewise I don't disagree that a mono version with some orange filtration would also work really well and add some DRAMA as you say.

Excellent Craig ^^^ interesting bridge with nice interplay of light going on, forming a nice pattern with the supports :)
In addition to what you have already presented, I would have liked to seen a central crop of the bridge just including the mountain in the far distance together with those supports.

Another view of the Gardens of Trebah - 58mm Nokton.

Last edited:

mediumcool

Orange/purple backlit

Sony a7 w/adapted MC W.ROKKOR – HH 35mm f/1.8 1/1250 f/1.8 ISO 400

AlanS

A7, C/Y 35mm f1.4, Weardale. some Distagon goodness.....

AlanS

A couple more, same scene different composition.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun With Sony _____

Fort Oelegem (from the pre WW1 defense ring around Antwerp)

Pieter,

Seeing this made me wonder if you had ever come across a book titled 'Austerlitz' by W. G. Sebald. One of my all time favourites.

There are many references near the start of the book to Belgium and Antwerp - old fortifications, the Salle des pas perdus at Antwerp Railway Station, the glove market, Brussels Palais de Justice etc.

Little b/w photos are inserted here and there.

"..tale of one man's odyssey through the dark ages of European history is one of the most moving and true fictions on the postwar world". The Times.

Unfortunately Sebald died in a car crash in 2001.

(p.s. In January 1945 my Dad sent me a postcard from Antwerp. On the back it said 'Beware of the dog'.:))

This one!

Status
Not open for further replies.