The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7 and A7r firmware update March 19

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just read this on Sony rumors

Sony Japan officially announced a new A7 and A7r firmware release for March 19! And these are the improvements (translated from Japanese):

- support for the focus hold button of the new SEL 70-200G lens
- Start up time reduction
- Image quality improvement
- Adds Live view grading and smooth reflection application. Improves “Time Laps” APP.

Guy Mancuso

Now what's it really mean is the question. Some companies are very detailed on explanations but looks like Sony is just making a blanket statement.

Image quality improvement??????????????

Guy Mancuso

Happy about the start up time. That's good news

Let's dig around folks see what's really coming. I'm hoping this is just a blank statement and several things involved.

Guy Mancuso

4 sec shutter delay for tripod use. Uncompressed raws, shutter lag improvement are all firmware items. Lets hope

jfirneno

Just read this on Sony rumors

Sony Japan officially announced a new A7 and A7r firmware release for March 19! And these are the improvements (translated from Japanese):

- support for the focus hold button of the new SEL 70-200G lens
- Start up time reduction
- Image quality improvement
- Adds Live view grading and smooth reflection application. Improves “Time Laps” APP.
Guy:
It's kind of difficult to know what to expect from a Sony firmware update. In the days of the A-850 and NEX-5N I usually found myself disappointed by the slight or non-existent improvements that occurred. But lately Sony seems to be growing more responsive. Decreasing the startup time seems hopeful (and measurable). Image quality improvement is so vague that I hope they give more specifics with the update. Also, I tend to wait a while before installing. There is no going back and sometimes the update has a bug that requires a further update.
Regards,
John

Guy Mancuso

Yea we need some guinea pig to try it first. Im old enough to remember the cereal commercial . Lets get Mikey to try it. I believe it was Life cereal

tashley

Subscriber Member
What they most need to do IMHO is allow a user selectable parameter for the relationship between focal length and shutter speed in Auto ISO.

neelin

4 sec shutter delay for tripod use. Uncompressed raws, shutter lag improvement are all firmware items. Lets hope
FWIW my cheap Opteka RC-3 remote for a Nex7 will triggers my A7r, and requires no button pushing on the camera to go into any special mode (other than remote release, but then manual press works too, so I just leave it there). I just keep the remote near my batteries & SD cards so it's always handy.

Guy Mancuso

FWIW my cheap Opteka RC-3 remote for a Nex7 will triggers my A7r, and requires no button pushing on the camera to go into any special mode (other than remote release, but then manual press works too, so I just leave it there). I just keep the remote near my batteries & SD cards so it's always handy.
Its more about shutter vibration they need to rework the setup. Close the first curtain wait 2 seconds for it to settle down than expose and close. This way there is a gap between closing and shoot time. That would eliminate any shutter vibration issue. Actually its a easy firmware fix. Well that came from a non engineer type. Everything is easy in my mind. LOL

jonoslack

Sheesh, I'd love this to be a game changer . . . but my experience of firmware updates is that they are always a disappointment.

Godfrey

I'm happy with the A7 as is (for the way I use it). A good update that improves on the base feature operation is a nice plus.

Faster startup sounds good. :)

Selectable AutoISO baseline by focal length is what I would need, which also implies the ability to input a focal length manually, which then implies being able to set the info into EXIF. I'm not holding my breath.

G

nikonf

Exactly!
Its more about shutter vibration they need to rework the setup. Close the first curtain wait 2 seconds for it to settle down than expose and close. This way there is a gap between closing and shoot time. That would eliminate any shutter vibration issue. Actually its a easy firmware fix. Well that came from a non engineer type. Everything is easy in my mind. LOL

nostatic

Sheesh, I'd love this to be a game changer . . . but my experience of firmware updates is that they are always a disappointment.
What, you don't like:

FW 1.01

- changed default sharpness in "toy camera" jpg mode
- changed the pitch of the beep from 700hz to 730hz
- moved obscure feature #27 from camera menu to utility menu