The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R Glass on Sony A7R

sc_john

My question probably falls into the category of "Be careful what you ask for…":facesmack:, but here goes. Like many, I have been looking for a full frame digital body to use with my very limited stable of Leica R lenses (35-70/4 and 80-200/4). With its focus peaking, live view, FF 36MP sensor, and smaller form factor/weight the A7R, on paper, looks like it could be an ideal body for the Leica R glass.

Anyone here using R glass on the A7R? Comments?

John

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Many are and they work wonderful. A lot of threads on this and one right at the top of the forum

sc_john

Guy,

Thanks for your quick response. I had seen and read through the post at the top of the forum. I guess I didn't ask my question properly… my question is not which lenses people recommend for A7R, but what their reaction is to A7R (with R glass). For example, how do files from Sony 36MP sensor R glass compare to 36MP D800e sensor also made by Sony or other sensors folks have used with their R glass? And, what do folks think about Sony's focus peaking, handling, etc. I have used R glass on Fuji X, and I am very pleased with handling, focus peaking, high ISO performance, etc, but I have no recent experience with Sony. I have also read comments about A7R shutter vibration, for example, and don't understand if that results in a "danger zone" for lower speed exposures… like MF mirror slap can do at various speeds.

If the question is too open ended or obtuse, please feel free to delete.

Thanks,

John

Guy Mancuso

No great question I actually switched from the D800E to the Sony A7r and A7. Basically bottom line I get a D800e and a D610 Nikon. If anything I like the color better on the Sony's and it may have slightly more DR but I have not tested that. But when I switched I came over with a Leica 19R and several Zeiss lenses and really no difference in quality of file except my note up above. Live view, focus peaking, easier manual focusing with better confirmation with zooming in both in finder ( Nikon don't do finder) and LCD I am much happier working with the Sonys as they fit me better of the functionality part. Don't want to degrade the Nikon D800e as it is a wonderful handling camera but its a feel thing and just like the Sony better and my results have been great so outside some quirks I am very happy with the switch. I think you will hear a lot of the same from other members. If you liked the mirror less functions of the Fuji than coming over to Sony will feel the same to you and maybe better functions like focus peaking, EVF and such but I never really compared them to each other. I did have a fuij ex-1 but the files had a lot of artifacts in it so I sold it off. Thats the surface stuff on the backend some nice technology advancements and such. Its worth going in a store and actually handling it and even with any FE glass they may have put it on manual and play around. The shutter vibration issue is in my opinion a little blown out of proportion. I hit it once in now about 20k images. You may see it on longer lenses but you can work around it BTW its not a very uncommon issue with a Focal plane shutter either. I had it bad on my Phase bodies with longer glass.

Guy Mancuso

Now admittedly I get very bored of gear too just been shooting way to long and its my way to get the excitement back up as well. But truth be told this system has me more excited than when i went to the Nikons from the Phase gear ( that was actually depressing since I had to give up MF but thats another story of a health situation in the family). I'm actually enjoying shooting again and for fun too which is rare. Many Pros may make the same comment i just did. We love photography but we eat and drink it everyday so to get our jets rolling everyday we need to have fun shooting for non paying image making as well. Little hard to explain here but its our hobby too.

sc_john

Guy,

That's EXACTLY the kind of feedback that I was hoping for--- hands-on, real world vs spec sheet. Regarding D800e, I have one and it is a great camera… dependable and predictable. However, I would really prefer something that is smaller and lighter but with comparable IQ (All those years have not only snuck up on me, they've got me in a strangle hold. :ROTFL:). Maybe next step is to rent one; sadly, I don't know of any bricks and mortar store around here to see A7R.

Thanks again!

John

sc_john

Regarding adapters, I must admit that I am confused about Sony mounts. If I want to mount a Leica R lens on A7R, would I use a R to NEX (E) adapter, or does A7 FE mount require something else?