The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Decisions Decisions

Paratom

What would the Sony give you what you dont allready have in the M?
And if your intention is using R-glass AF doesnt help anyways.

Without owning one my vote goes for the EM1 - because its weatherproof, fast and the lenses are small.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Damn simple A7r and M. Game over

When you need big you got it and you have the glass for it just need to add my 19. Done
With the A7R Guy, I would even question the need for the M. What does an M give you an A7R can't, save for the red dot?

I would also make the case that my Canon 20mm f/2.8 FD lens at about 1/20th of the cost of your Leica 19mm is not a bad option either :)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Damn simple A7r and M. Game over

When you need big you got it and you have the glass for it just need to add my 19. Done
Nah...

Want big?

Leica just discounted the remaining S cameras by 25%....

I know Jono would be oh so set with an S and a couple of lenses....
sell all the little stuff and he will be set.

Last of the CCDs :ROTFL:

Bob

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
What would the Sony give you what you dont allready have in the M?
And if your intention is using R-glass AF doesnt help anyways.

Without owning one my vote goes for the EM1 - because its weatherproof, fast and the lenses are small.
Options? Higher Dynamic Range? Cleaner High ISO? Thirteen plus stops of latitude? Good video? Autofocus? Need I go on?

AF doesn't help with R glass, but on the Sony the focus peaking sure does!

Oh, and finally, how about enough of a cost difference to buy yourself a GOOD USED CAR to haul yourself and your camera around to shoot? And let's not even get into the cost for native mount lenses....

jaree

Hmm...that red dot works perfectly with M lenses. The ones without the red dot, not so much. So if keeping M lenses, M stays. I would keep the odd numbers from left to right: 1 and 3.

Paratom

With the A7R Guy, I would even question the need for the M. What does an M give you an A7R can't, save for the red dot?
Excellent wide angle images without smeared corners, range finder focusing, but most importnat an excellent optic viewfinder - real time.

mazor

Hi Juha
we're about 120 miles from London - but we'll be away on the 16th unfortunately . . . well, fortunately actually, we're going skiing!
The E-M1 has proven itself many times to be ideal for all weather and can take a bit of roughing up. I think the E-M1 is ideal for this type of holiday!

docmoore

I heard you can adapt Leica R to Leica M. If the M is staying, the A7 can go ;)
No AF and that seems to be gaining priority in Jono's posts....

Adds an element of spontaneity the M does not provide...when it is seamless and accurate.

Bob

ryc

Keep the 7. Why even bother with 4/3 or APSC when you have the luxury of full frame with just about any lens!

Viramati

My work kit is now the M and A7, I have an X-pro 1 with the fuji 35 and 14mm lenses but they will probably be up for sale soon. I find I can work happily with the leica and sony together, 28 cron asph on the leica and 55/1.8 on the Sony. I also carry the voigtlander 28/f1.8 (or WATE) for use on the M and the CV 35/1.2, Fe35/2.8 and Apo-telyt 135 (or Elamrit-M 90) which I use on the Sony. I have started a project for a Cancer charity in Norfolk and am getting used to and enjoying this set up. It all fits into a Billingham Hadley pro and a I add a pouch with the Sf58 flash if I need it. I think the M and A7 are a no brainer especially as they are both full frame and have the same sensor size which makes my work flow easier, My only problem with the A7 for the sort of documentary work I do is the loudness of the shutter compared to the the M. The Olympus may technically be a better camera but the crop factor is just to much and doesn't work for me. The Fuji is again a fantastic camera and a lot of leica lenses work well with the proprietary fuji lens adaptor but again the crop factor is a bit of an issue

jonoslack

My work kit is now the M and A7, I have an X-pro 1 with the fuji 35 and 14mm lenses but they will probably be up for sale soon. I find I can work happily with the leica and sony together, 28 cron asph on the leica and 55/1.8 on the Sony. I also carry the voigtlander 28/f1.8 (or WATE) for use on the M and the CV 35/1.2, Fe35/2.8 and Apo-telyt 135 (or Elamrit-M 90) which I use on the Sony. I have started a project for a Cancer charity in Norfolk and am getting used to and enjoying this set up.
Hi David
Interesting, I think you already got where I'm going. I do like a mid range zoom as well.
Where in Norfolk? ( we are in Diss )

ecsh

I recently purged myself of my EM-5 and all M4/3 glass, and feel wonderful. I picked up the 55 1.8 and am looking at the 70-200. Life is good, without small sensors.
This is for use on my A7r, which i am totally use to the clacking shutter. Since i also have the A99 and the LAE4 adapter, i can use the full size 135 1.8 on the A7r as well.
This is the closest to being done as i have been in many years. Of course that is until the next release, LOL.

fotografz

Keep the M240, dump the other three.

You have a passion for shooting with a rangefinder which I totally understand and sympathize with.

At this stage it seems you should only shoot that which you connect with on a visceral level.

Don't feel it? Dump it.

All the rest is just intellectual mumbo-jumbo and justifications.

All sort of proven by the fact that "The M stays, two of the others must go", and you aren't totally sure which two.

My paltry 2¢.

- Marc

nostatic

I think he's pretty sure - just thinking out loud at this point. I got out of u4/3 except for a GH3 and the 2.8 zooms but work bought those. I wanted the EM1 to be "the one" but I just didn't feel it. Same with the XT1. Truth be told the body I like the best is the A7, but I'm shooting the r because I like the files better. If I could talk myself out of the RX1r I'd pick up an A7 body and then be done with it. Probably keep the 35/2.8 on the A7 and the 55/1.8 on the A7r with the 24-70 zoom being on the standby. I'd probably keep the RX100ii for if I really just have to get an image and be totally silent.

docmoore

If I could talk myself out of the RX1r I'd pick up an A7 body ...
The RX1-R is so far above the others if you can deal with it's limitations....

Dead quiet, perfectly sharp...

Not the most spontaneous of rigs...

Nothing is perfect.

Bob

Last edited:

docmoore

Fuji is nicely analogue - but the Xtrans files are sometimes problematic
So Jono,

I ran with the X-T1 based on a couple of pics from your short evaluation....

the files are fine...just need for Fuji to get a clue and allow the others to access the inside info concerning the files as the JPGs OOC smoke almost everyone else...to wit:

JPG into C1 ....

Nothing in RAW approaches the JPG to C1/PS CC enhancement at the present time...however the JPGs are stellar....

Regards,

Bob