The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Decisions Decisions

jonoslack

Seriously, then why did you include it in the dilemma discussion to begin with? Seems there are really then 2 of 3 cameras you need to dump...
Well I did say under the picture "the M stays but two of the others must go"
And yes Michiel has it.

nostatic

Probably better to decide deliberately. I'm the opposite - have a knee-jerk reaction, sell something, then half the time end up buying it back. I'm a boomerang consumer...

jonoslack

Cmon, guys. Do you really sell off all that lovely, but not quite perfect gear, or just push it to the back of the closet where it can still call out to you from time to time? Tell me, which one of these should I let go, or wrap up for long term storage?
Oh, don't sell any of them if they're worked hard.
I do sell off lots of gear, but I do still have favourites who have earned their place at the back of the cupboard (my E1 for instance, and several Leica bodies).

And Godfrey, if you want to know How Much older I am than you. You'll have to tell me how old you are :p

Godfrey

And Godfrey, if you want to know How Much older I am than you. You'll have to tell me how old you are :p
Well, President Dwight D. Eisenhower was only 18 months into his first term of office when I was born... My first Rolleiflex was an Automat Model 2, and it was five years older than I was when my grandfather gave it to me at age 13.

;-)

G

jonoslack

Well, President Dwight D. Eisenhower was only 18 months into his first term of office when I was born... My first Rolleiflex was an Automat Model 2, and it was five years older than I was when my grandfather gave it to me at age 13.

;-)

G
Okay Godfrey, if your dates are accurate you can revel in the fact of being 22 months younger than I am. I hope it makes you very happy :p:D

Godfrey

Okay Godfrey, if your dates are accurate you can revel in the fact of being 22 months younger than I am. I hope it makes you very happy :p:D
Ah, you youngster! You're only as old as Guy.

Actually 19 months into Ike's first term. I was off by a month: August 26, 1954 ... So you've got another month on me. I get younger and younger.

When my older brother turned 60 last Summer, I told him that I could revel in being two years younger than him for 38 days and nights. He got a kick out of that. ;-)

G

Elderly

You dear young things :p Richard Nixon had been in office for just one year
(Edward Heath had just become prime minister here in the UK) when I received my first cheque from a magazine publisher for some photography:thumbup:.

Gosh ....... It's way past my bedtime, where are my slippers :grin:

Last edited:

dave92029

Yes, I agree with what he said...

I have an E-M5 which is a keeper because, I love using it with the 60mm f2.8 macro and the 9-18mm. Therefore, I don't feel like these focal ranges are missing from the Sony.

The Oly and the Sony just feel like they are from the same family, and it is so easy to carry both and switch between them. They both fit in my Think Tank bag, and I continue to carry and use both.

Didn't Sony release both the A7/A7r shortly after Sony made a significant capital contribution to Oly and agreed to partner in future photo developments? I guess the are both from the same family and related.

PS. I used to have several "I Like Ike" t- shirts in many different colors. Guess I'm older than some of you.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
You don't get too many folks joshing around about their age if they have reached three score and ten....because they are shocked to their bones, and buying every new camera they can before they croak :eek:

Keith

nostatic

Well, the A7 finally showed up. For whatever reason, I just prefer the A7 in use. The A7r certainly wins on raw horsepower, but I think the A7 just clicks more with me (pun intended).

If anyone is interested in a lightly used A7r body, let me know. I can't rationalize having both, especially since I get to write a $5K+ check to the IRS. Getting married is not financially advantageous :D

JMaher

Jono & Godfrey you are both young. I had to look it up as well but I have Jono beat by 2 months. Now I'm feeling old:)

Jim

k-hawinkler

Yes, I agree with what he said...

I have an E-M5 which is a keeper because, I love using it with the 60mm f2.8 macro and the 9-18mm. Therefore, I don't feel like these focal ranges are missing from the Sony.

The Oly and the Sony just feel like they are from the same family, and it is so easy to carry both and switch between them. They both fit in my Think Tank bag, and I continue to carry and use both.

Didn't Sony release both the A7/A7r shortly after Sony made a significant capital contribution to Oly and agreed to partner in future photo developments? I guess the are both from the same family and related.

PS. I used to have several "I Like Ike" t- shirts in many different colors. Guess I'm older than some of you.
Thanks. To me it feels the same way.
E-M5 and especially E-M1 seem to have a UI that's built on some of the same principles as that of the A7r.
I have those three cameras and an M9 for the rangefinder fix and don't feel the urge to sell any of them.
Same for my NEX-5N and NEX-7.

Some of those cameras are very handy when paired more or less permanently with a specific lens, for example the Olympus cameras with the 12-40/2.8 and 75-300 II lenses, or the Leica Telyt-R APO 280/4 with either A7r or with NEX-7 for extra reach/more detail. The WATE 16-18-21/4 works nicely on A7r or on the NEX-5N. Of course the A7r works also well in AF mode with the native 35/2.8 lens. Just to mention a few. What's not to like?