The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Decisions Decisions

fotografz

Jono…I'm also sensitive to the yellow demon that plagues Nikon ' s DSLR ' S but I have to say that in both color fedelity as well as high ISO output, the Df is on top of the heap as fat as I'm concerned. I truly believe you would not only be surprised by the whole Df experience but it's output. The camera is far greater than the sum of its parts and when used as intended is a pure joy to use.

Just something to thing about.

Dave (D&A)
Dave, Best typo EVER :facesmack: … given the following opinion that the camera is to bloated.

(God knows I make enough of them myself :rolleyes: ).

- Marc

Paratom

Looking forward to your decision...

Prior to today I was ready to move back to the A7R...not so sure at the present time...and the Df is going nowhere....

Bob
Bob,
I wonder what the xt1 would give you what you don't get from the M?
When/for which occasions would you grab the xt1 instead of the M?
I am also interested in one of those cams (xt1 , em1, a7, df) but need to find out how much is just lust for something new and how much I will really gain after the new toy factor is gone.

Paratom

Hi Juha,

Appreciate your comments but of course size of a camera is all very subjective. That's the first time I've ever heard the Df described as massive. For myself, I find it relatively compact for a full frame DSLR and although bigger than a Leica rangefinder still consider it in the relm of a travel camera. Of course it greatly depends on lens selection. I'm used to using the large pro sized Nikon DSLR's and also the Pentax 645D, so the Df is a welcome change in size from those two.

Again it's all depends on where one is coming from and what their definition is of "a large camera".

Dave (D&A)
If I had not switched to Canon 2 years ago I think I would buy the DF immediately. I also remember sometimes problems with skin tones from my previous Nikons, but the overall package seems so tempting (nice optical viewfinder, fast AF, small body, classic user interface, high DR and total freedom in regards to higher ISO).
Just own to many Canon lenses, to make another switch and like the 5dIII too much. I would really like a second smaller body ala DF though. Maybe Canon will have something like this in the future? Or maybe I should just add a 6d.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If I had not switched to Canon 2 years ago I think I would buy the DF immediately. I also remember sometimes problems with skin tones from my previous Nikons, but the overall package seems so tempting (nice optical viewfinder, fast AF, small body, classic user interface, high DR and total freedom in regards to higher ISO).
Just own to many Canon lenses, to make another switch and like the 5dIII too much. I would really like a second smaller body ala DF though. Maybe Canon will have something like this in the future? Or maybe I should just add a 6d.
Tom

please! Do not switch from Canon 5DII to Nikon Df - NEVER! I am really serious. Never have seen such a misconnected camera as the Df.

If you say D4s then it is perfect, but this is in another league anyway. But not Df ...

Just my 5c

Peter

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Bob,
I am also interested in one of those cams (xt1 , em1, a7, df) but need to find out how much is just lust for something new and how much I will really gain after the new toy factor is gone.
If had to decide today and not owning any cams of the above list, I would simply choose XT1 and Fuji X system. Period. All other is good in different areas, but the best overall package you get from the XT1. Plus I think also the best IQ.

EM1 is clearly inferior WRT IQ, although it is superior WRT AF and AF tracking (allows kind of Group AF) which you find also in the latest Nikon D4s, which does work quite good. But the whole user experience of configuring the camera and always finding out you still have forgotten something - man I do not want to train for such a camera as much before I can shoot my good results. I want the camera to be self explanatory!

Last edited:

jonoslack

Bob,
HI Tom
For me, As well as my M - I definitely need camera with AF and a decent mid range zoom, without making too much compromise in image quality..... What I don't need is a bunch of native prime lenses to go with it, so the lack of lenses in FE mount doesn't affect me much

.....Fuji X-t1, for me, is compromised slightly with greens in landscape images, and the solution to this (Iridient) is breaking my Aperture Only rule - and introduces other colour artefacts.

....Olympus E-M1 is very slightly compromised with IQ at low ISO, but like the Fuji is perfect in terms of handling and lenses

....Nikon Df (since it's been brought up) - Bob's great evening pictures just after he got it (and they were great) proved that the Nikon colour in evening light still has the yellow 'cast' which I disliked so much in my D3 and D700. . . and coming from where I am, it's big

....Sony A7 has a noisy shutter and relatively big lenses (again, coming from where I do - I realise it's rather quiet if you come from MF or a big dSLR) - but the IQ is really pretty good.

Paratom

Tom

please! Do not switch from Canon 5DII to Nikon Df - NEVER! I am really serious. Never have seen such a misconnected camera as the Df.

If you say D4s then it is perfect, but this is in another league anyway. But not Df ...

Just my 5c

Peter
Peter,
I wont. The Canon works too good for me and I have some wonderful lenses for it. I might add a 6d as a somewhat smaller body.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter,
I wont. The Canon works too good for me and I have some wonderful lenses for it. I might add a 6d as a somewhat smaller body.
6D looks really tempting! If I were invested in Canon the 6D would be a no-brainer for me.

Peter

Paratom

HI Tom
For me, As well as my M - I definitely need camera with AF and a decent mid range zoom, without making too much compromise in image quality..... What I don't need is a bunch of native prime lenses to go with it, so the lack of lenses in FE mount doesn't affect me much

.....Fuji X-t1, for me, is compromised slightly with greens in landscape images, and the solution to this (Iridient) is breaking my Aperture Only rule - and introduces other colour artefacts.

....Olympus E-M1 is very slightly compromised with IQ at low ISO, but like the Fuji is perfect in terms of handling and lenses

....Nikon Df (since it's been brought up) - Bob's great evening pictures just after he got it (and they were great) proved that the Nikon colour in evening light still has the yellow 'cast' which I disliked so much in my D3 and D700. . . and coming from where I am, it's big

....Sony A7 has a noisy shutter and relatively big lenses (again, coming from where I do - I realise it's rather quiet if you come from MF or a big dSLR) - but the IQ is really pretty good.
Thanks Jono. I thought only A7r shutter was that loud?
I guess the smartest thing for me is to stay with Leica M and my Canon stuff. I also still have the OMD-E-M5 and some lenses but don't use it often. Eventually I could replace it with an E-M1 -maybe I just wait until I find a used one in good condition.

If I didn't havethe M I would probably go for the Fuji and accept the problem with the greens or learning another software.

D&A

Some comments:

1. Marc, in everyone's lifetime, there's always an invention or two that we're ever so grateful that we were born in that particular era. For some it's Bell ' s invention of the telephone, for some the refrig., for others it might be the Internet or cell phone....but for me it's "spell check". Reveals a lot about myself....LOL!

Peter, both on paper as well as handling the Df for a short period of time like in a camera store, the Df does seem like a mish mash of features and presents a confused identity just exactly what it is, who its for and whether it's a blessing or hindrance in everyday shooting. These polarizing thoughts are most individuals initial impression, mine included. Yet for some who made the leap and have used the camera with great frequency and play to its strengths, it's actually a breath of fresh air and it's output, not to mention the pleasure of shooting with it, is impressive.

It's like a vegetable we all hated as a kid but when given the chance to eat it when prepared to our liking, actually becomes a favorite over time. As I said previously, the Df is greater than the sum of its parts but a quick taste doesnt reveal a lot about its personality. Maybe not to everyone's liking but given a chance, has surprised many doubters.

Dave (D&A)

fotografz

Well, it's been quite a while Jono. What's the decision?

Reading some of these indecisive posts from all of us … it must take everyone all morning just to get dressed :ROTFL:

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not me I decided with my wallet and happy about it. Now just need to shoot more. My only decision is this weekend what lens to use for some 3/4 shots of models. My standard the 85 1.4 or try the new 24-70 with my focus point finally where I want it on the dang face of the model. Lol

Bottom line Jono drank the Leica Koolaid a long time ago. He ain't switching now. Lol

The Fuji, Oly , Nikon DF and anything under 24mpx for me is a waste of my time. Go big or go home. That's me though

HI Tom
For me, As well as my M - I definitely need camera with AF and a decent mid range zoom, without making too much compromise in image quality.....

Sony A7 has a noisy shutter and relatively big lenses (again, coming from where I do - I realise it's rather quiet if you come from MF or a big dSLR) - but the IQ is really pretty good.
Well, there you have it.. size is right, enough lenses and the IQ. Naturally some drawbacks as well, but the important bits are there.

//Juha

Godfrey

Thanks Jono. I thought only A7r shutter was that loud?
I guess the smartest thing for me is to stay with Leica M and my Canon stuff. I also still have the OMD-E-M5 and some lenses but don't use it often. Eventually I could replace it with an E-M1 -maybe I just wait until I find a used one in good condition.

If I didn't havethe M I would probably go for the Fuji and accept the problem with the greens or learning another software.
Looks like Jono's made his choice. Maybe. ;-)

The A7 shutter sounds for all the world like my Nikon FM with MD-11 motor drive:

Sony A7 - Continuous capture - video

While a bit loud, I don't find it all that objectionable. The A7r, without the electronic first curtain, is a bit more clattery (and slower).

The Olympus E-M1, by comparison, is quieter than an M9 and almost as quiet as an M4-2 in single shot mode (just like its SLR forebear, the E-1, was).

My preferences are clear: the A7 with the Leica R/Nikkor SLR lenses I've acquired is just great, and when I want AF, quiet shutter, superb ergonomics, excellent lenses, etc etc, the E-M1 does the number very nicely.

I have no interest in the Fujis, or any DSLRs at this point in time. (Although I'm going to keep the E-1 since I have all the lenses I need for it and I use them on the E-M1 as well. There's little gain to selling the E-1 SLR body at this point.)

The only M gear I'm going to keep is the Leica CL+CV 21, M-Rokkor 40/90 lenses. Maybe the CV 28mm too. The 40 and 90 work well on the A7 and are nice and compact when I want that. The others work fine for B&W, or color with CornerFix, and are even more compact.

The only question mark to me is whether to keep the Leica X2 at this point. It's such a handy point and shoot, and makes such nice photographs ... :)

G

Last edited: