The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Decisions Decisions

Amin

I love my E-M1, but my second choice would be Fuji. Then again, sensor IQ is the least important consideration for me amongst these cameras.

I love stabilized primes, and right now Oly is the only game in town for that.

Last edited:

arashm

Wondering....
Do either the EM1, A7(R) or XT-1 shoot tethered via USB (mac/OSX)?
Maybe with their own software and then Hot Folder in to C1 or LR?
Thank you in advance.
am

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The A7r works tethered quite well in C1 with a hot folders you do need to run camera remote program at the same time. I shot about 800 frames in one day like this not one glitch also about 3.5 seconds to preview with the hot folder which is a touch slow but certainly not bad either. I used the supplied USB cable with camera with a powered Siig USB 15 ft cable.

jonoslack

I love my E-M1, but my second choice would be Fuji. Then again, sensor IQ is the least important consideration for me amongst these cameras.

Hi Amin
Whilst I agree with you about IQ in principle, in practice I don't like to get crossed by oddities.
As for the IBIS on the Oly - it's second to none, not an easy decision from here!

scott kirkpatrick

This has been a fascinating discussion. Held in a single pub, it would have drained more than a keg, and further north, perhaps made a serious dent in the supply of stronger stuff.

In Jono's picture there was a choice between 16, 24 and about 40 MPx offerings in camera bodies. Not in the picture, each has its camp followers of lenses. Bodies lose their value quickly. Even Leica M bodies, four years later, are worth about half what they first cost. The non-Leica bodies, whose manufacturers make them available in foolishly large quantities, lose that much in a year or so. Lenses depreciate more slowly, and Leica lenses appreciate. The real issue seems to be the care and feeding of all the camp followers.

Bodies fail, but a closet-full of lenses can be used for a long time, or at least give their owner a warm glow from time to time. For those of us who divide their photographic revenue by the value of the controlled assets required to obtain it, probably the best decision is made after matching their opportunities against the potential of 16, 24 and 40, selecting the right one, and only then letting a flock of lenses flutter into their homes.

From the picture I submitted, you can consign me to the warm glow contingent. I'll toss M bodies into the E-Bay from time to time, use the Olympus gear with its very nice IBIS as long as it keeps working, and the Hasselbodies were bargains when I got them, and still are.

scott

Godfrey

Spending time shooting with the 180mm lens on the A7 yesterday nails home why the E-M1 is the one to have with longer lenses. I wouldn't try to hand-hold anything longer than 180mm with the A7, and even that's on the edge, but I can hand-hold 560mm EFL with the E-M1 no problem at all.

The Sony A7 and Olympus E-M1 bodies may be superseded almost instantly, but I expect to be shooting with the lenses I bought for them on their successors for some time to come. :)

G

Godfrey

Okay Okay - rather than write my decision direction on the thread I thought I'd write a little article about it - so - here it is

Good article. We all make our own decisions in the end. It's been a fun thread.
:)

I made my decisions too, while different from yours they're quite viable for my ideas of what works best for me. But we agree that the Sony A7 seems a worthwhile body and produces lovely photos, which is what counts. I've collected a bevy of nine Leica R lenses to use with it, and very pleased with them all so far. For me, it's my Manual Machine ... A joy to focus and shoot with when I'm out and about with. The right size, the right pixel count, a good viewfinder.. Just what I was looking for when the whole digital shift started, only I thought it was going to be Nikon that delivered it. I find it a very compelling piece of gear to shoot with, as I did with the FM, FE2, and F3 for almost 22 years. If Nikon had made a real F3 or FM/FE2 digital body like this, I'd be using Nikon still.

Life's too short. Let's get back to making photographs. :)

arashm

Jono
Thank you for the article, helpful as I'm in the process of choosing one of the 3 for a 2 week trip to Poland in Early July.
Seems strange for you to give up the Oly.
Also good luck with the fundraiser, glad I could contribute!
am

scott kirkpatrick

Re: GASaholics Anonymous

Now we know... Somewhere in the east of England there is a well-stocked camera store, offering "mint" newish cameras with the promise that they were only used by a gentleman photographer on his Sunday strolls in fine weather.

scott

retow

Okay Okay - rather than write my decision direction on the thread I thought I'd write a little article about it - so - here it is

A fun read and the outcome did not surprise me. Except, maybe that I thought you would keep the EM1 as well. But then there is a new Leica announcement coming up soon, maybe you know more than the rest of us................:D

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jono,

I can't connect to your article (or the rest of your site). Has anyone else reported difficulty?

Best,

Matt

jlm

Workshop Member
i get a time out and no connection to Gas as well, but only on my shop computers; home setup works fine

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Ah. Thanks. It works from my phone if I turn off Wifi. I have Verizon for home internet, and much of the world sees Verizon as spam. Sorry, getting :OT:

--Matt

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Ah well, at least I won't have to recommend one of these for you.

(Cartoonists Berger & Wyse always raise a smile in the Saturday Guardian).

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Great article and describes so well how at least I (and I think many in this forum) also feel most of the time!

I do understand your decision and arguments, although I am a bit surprised you finally choose the A7 over the Oly (EM5 or EM1) as you seemed really to love m43. As you I am having similar issues with final IQ of m43 but still could not make up my mind to sell it because it is so versatile for me - will need some more thoughts.

I am pretty much with you WRT Fuji, although the XT1 seems to be a lovely piece of camera IMHO the EM1 is still better for a non FF sensor camera - as is m43! If not FF then better chose a decent crop so you get more advantages!

WRT M - you know I was on the fence from the very beginning and finally did not buy, as I still find the current M not up to real Leica M standards. But there is hope that there will be the next M soon, which will have all the still (at least for me) existing issues of the current M solved.

And for my Nikon system (D800E based) - currently as system there is no replacement available for me - it is not m43 nor is it Fuji. But maybe it will be Sony FE mount based. From what is rumored as FE lens roadmap there is lot of hope!

Enjoy your M and Sony

Best

Peter

nostatic

At this point I've distilled down to A7 and RX100ii, with a 6D sitting the drawer in case of dSLR-Emergency. Easy to make decisions, and if/when they add a 135/2.x I'll be pretty set. Until the A8 or RX2 :eek:

Paratom

Great article and describes so well how at least I (and I think many in this forum) also feel most of the time!

I do understand your decision and arguments, although I am a bit surprised you finally choose the A7 over the Oly (EM5 or EM1) as you seemed really to love m43. As you I am having similar issues with final IQ of m43 but still could not make up my mind to sell it because it is so versatile for me - will need some more thoughts.

I am pretty much with you WRT Fuji, although the XT1 seems to be a lovely piece of camera IMHO the EM1 is still better for a non FF sensor camera - as is m43! If not FF then better chose a decent crop so you get more advantages!

WRT M - you know I was on the fence from the very beginning and finally did not buy, as I still find the current M not up to real Leica M standards. But there is hope that there will be the next M soon, which will have all the still (at least for me) existing issues of the current M solved.

And for my Nikon system (D800E based) - currently as system there is no replacement available for me - it is not m43 nor is it Fuji. But maybe it will be Sony FE mount based. From what is rumored as FE lens roadmap there is lot of hope!

Enjoy your M and Sony

Best

Peter
Hi Peter,
today I handled the A7 and also the EM1 in the store.

Besides the (IMO) overloaded menus and buttons I find the EM1 to feel very good in the hand and it has the best EVF for my taste.

The A7 I found nice as well but the EM1 feels like an extension of the hand.

My needs for such a camera differ from Jonos, with my small kids I would like to have fast AF and also the option to use a tele-lens here and then.
So if I would get one of those 2, it would be the EM1. (Specially for someone who also owns another bigger camera for max. IQ like I do , and you too)