The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 35mm 1.4 Under rated

ryc

The sony 35mm 1.4 G must be their most under rated lenses. Granted at 1.4 things look a little hazy. But anything above 1.4 is truly a joy to look at. Best bokeh I have seen from a 35 for a dslr. really smooth and creamy. Plus it is sharp.

Last edited:

Malina DZ

Re: Sony 35mm 1.5 Under rated

ryc, Sony(Minolta) 35/1.4G is indeed a gem for its age, but Sigma 35/1.4 A offers way more wide open for less.

Good to see photography people start paying more attention to Sony. If you like a lot of bokeh presence in your images, you should definitely try 135/2.8 STF.

Title "Sony 35mm 1.5..." did intrigue me at first.

jerome_m

The sony 35mm 1.4 G must be their most under rated lenses. Granted at 1.4 things look a little hazy.
The 35mm f/1.4 G was one of the best Minolta lenses at its time. I kept the look that people associated with that focal length and aperture and used an aspherical surface to solve the main problem of these lenses: coma. Coma easily ruins night pictures, where one often has points of light near the edges of the frame.

The fact that it is "hazy" at f/1.4 is actually an advantage for its intended use: available light. At night, one has too much contrast anyway and a lens with residual spherical aberrations like the 35mm f/1.4 G actually helps with the high contrast.

jsparks

It's my most used lens on the A99. I feel like it 2 different lenses. Wide open it's really funky in a good way. Stopped down it is sharp to the edges.