The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Decisions CV 21 1.8 or R 19 2.8 VII ?

BSEH

What to use - have only need and money for one of them ?

Any used them both ?

And down to IQ, who is best ?

iiiNelson

WRT IQ... The R 19/2.8. If you need the speed then the 21/1.8. One is an excellent lens with a reputation to match. The other is a very good lens and a great alternative to many much more expensive lenses. Also you can always crop the 19... You can't make the 21 wider though.

I own the 21/1.8 and I've looked at enough image samples from the 19 to know it has earned it's reputation as a "halo" lens for a reason.

iiiNelson

True. There are a lot of C/Y lenses out there in new to excellent condition. I just saved a lot of money myself going that way over Leica R lenses and the Zeiss lenses seem to be just as good if not better than some of the Leica variants.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My Leica 19 is for sale in the B&S so I'll stay out of this. Don't want to sound bias but the 19 is the best.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I have both but I will definitely recommend Elmarit-R 19 VII over VC 21/1,8 for A7/R. The other lens that you may also consider is Zeiss ZF/ZE 21/2,8.

The CV 21 is one of my favorites wides; it's quite sharp with nice rendering. Also handles beautifully on the Sony body. Only downside (on the a7R at least) is some noticeable edge coloration. It cleans up beautifully with the flat field plug-in in LR.

dchew

VC 21 is quite good in the center but quite bad at the edges. A few boring test chart images. Sorry for the crappy lighting, and note this was essentially at min focus distance so not the best test. Although it seems to accurately describe how my copy works at other distances.

I might have a bad copy, but the center is amazingly sharp (basically as good as my 35/55 FE's and the corners all look equally bad. Plus, if I do Roger's "blurry focus test" nothing looks off center.

Dave

f/1.8

f/4

f/8

Godfrey

The Nikkor 18mm f/3.5 AI-S competes well with the Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 series I from my brief testing so far, and is far less expensive than either the Elmarit-R 19mm type I or II, or Voigtländer 21/1.8, with no color shading or corner problems.

Click image to go to a page with full resolution JPEG samples.

G

philip_pj

From the Contax Yashica 21/2.8 to show the Distagon 'family look' and light handling, on a Sony a99.

All the better ultra wides have plenty to like in them. I am still sore the 24 SEM does not get there on the a7r. I even priced one in anticipation :(