The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Old Lenses for Sony

f/otographer

Quick question what adapter are folks using for C/Y lenses . If you have a link that would be great , thinking about getting one of those Contax Distagons
Guy, I was using a generic CY adapter from the auction site until I discovered it leaked light thru the lens release button. I almost decided to fork out the 200 bones for the Novoflex that Michiel mentioned. Instead I did a pretty massive search for all available CY adapters and came up with the one made by Kipon. Kipon seems to be one of the better makers of Chinese adapters and their prices reflect this. Their CY adapter ran me about 80 bucks. Here it is on the a7.

It is very reminiscent of the Novoflex. Quality is excellent and I like the straight edge design of it. Many cheap CY adapters have an angled body that taper from the lens mount side to the body mount side. For some reason I find that aesthetically horrible. Just a personal thing.

The fit on my copy is pretty good. Only the most minor wiggle on the body side. Please understand that I am very particular about my adapters and this tiny movement doesnt bother me at all. The lens side is very tight, almost to tight. I thing there are screw type adjusters built into the front so you can adjust the tightness. I will play around with this soon.

Overall Im very pleased. Very high quality adapter for significantly more then the cheap ones but less then half the price of a Novoflex.

By the way, that is an M42 mount Zeiss Biotar mounted to the Kipon with a seperate M42 to CY adapter. Nice snug fit.

f/otographer

Incidentally, if you are interested, PDN recently posted this essay by Gowin.
This was an excellent essay John, thanks for posting the link. One thing that stood out for me is the contact he had with Meatyard. I discoverd the work of Ralph Eugene Meatyard some time ago and have been a follower ever since. I do feel a bit of connection with him since upon seeing his work I realized I had been shooting for some time in a style that was somewhat similar to some of Meatyards own work.

He shot many photos in what he referred to as his 'no focus' style. Our interpretation on this are somewhat different to be sure. Meatyard not only used the out of focus area of the lens but also long exposures and camera shake to complete his image. It is much more raw and feral then my style. I guess you could say that my interpretation involves a cleaner or more clinical approach (and is the poorer for it). I simply try to paint an image using nothing but the out of focus area to render the image in a dream like fashion. While I am very pleased with what I have accomplished I do not feel it has the stark realism or power of what Meatyard did.

Here are a few examples.

the bicyclist

imbalance of strata

omoide

black room for a blue girl

the impression of a self portrait

cry leaves

spring

bee

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Guy, for what it is worth, I take my Contax Zeiss to Canon EOS mount first. This is with a solid, screw locked down metal ring. Then I go from EOS to Sony E with any of the better quality and widely available adapters. Those cams on the C/Y mount I want to make sure always stay down. The EOS mount doesn't have any of that stuff protruding to catch on anything or bend, going on and off in a hurry, if you get my drift. This also makes for a very solid and locked down mounting. These old Contax Zeiss lenses are heavy dudes, built like tanks. Beautiful tanks. Ah yes, the magic of the Distagons :eek:

pegelli

Two "oldies" that get regular use on my NEX is a 1949 Elmar 50/3.5 and a 1956 Elmar 90/4.

Still excellent performers, nice rendering and a bit lower contrast which gives a special mood or can easily be adjusted in PP if you're not looking for that.

Elmar 50/3.5:

Elmar 90/4

Knorp

Not sure if this qualifies here: '52 Leica Summarex 1:1.5/85mm

Some shots from the beach last Sunday.

JoelM

A7r with 1964 Chrome Tele Elmarit. Quickies shot with the tiny Sony flash unit.

Joel