The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7 doesn't power up!

johnnygoesdigital

I'm curious if anyone has experienced any issues with charging the A7/r?
I have a demo to review, but fresh out of the box, nothing happens when the USB is connected via AC or computer. No charging light or any indication of power. Hmm, frustrating.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I never have charged from the camera itself. I have 2 separate chargers. The cheap charger on Amazon works fine . I think it's called wasabi

vjbelle

I too never charge from the camera but if my charger goes out its a welcome backup. I also have the Wasabi charger which really works well - very highly recommended and very inexpensive.

Victor

Annna T

Where did you plug the USB cable ? Sometimes if you plug it in front of the computer it won't work .. Same if you have a port multiplier. Try plugging the cable directly in the back of your desktop, this can make a difference. To sum up : make sure that you have enough current to charge the camera. Not all USB port have enough juice to charge external devices. Or use a self powered port multiplier. Check the plugs too : are they firmly plugged or are they loose ?

Just some ideas..

johnnygoesdigital

I plugged in the USB to the adapter and then the AC outlet, power off at camera...nothing. I left the cable in for a good time in case the internal battery was needing a charge. I have another on the way this week, so we'll give it another go. I haven't heard about the power issues before, just the ones about light leaks and weaker mounts for the A7 in regards to long lenses. What I'd really like to try is M mount glass. I really think Sony's in the right direction with this model. The A7r might have the same sensor as the D800.

philip_pj

I do hope you get past your charge issues, JGD, because you have good times awaiting with the a7r. Don't take my word for it, the industry opinion leaders (the balanced ones anyway) got quite a surprise when they started testing it. Here, to whet your appetite, is Roger Cicala:

'Just in case you missed that, the Sony A7R with 35mm f/2.8 lens shot at f/2.8 outresolved the Nikon D800e with either the Nikon 35mm f/1.4G shot at f/4 or the Zeiss 50mm f/2 shot at f/5.6. Stopped down to f/4 to even the playing field, the Sony was clearly higher. In fact, the only lens-camera combinations we’ve seen with that kind of MTF50 is the Zeiss Otus 55mm mounted to a D800e.'

LensRentals.com - Sony A7R: A Rising Tide Lifts All the Boats?

Godfrey

Sure sounds like you got a defective there. It happens, and is a PITA. It could even be just a defective cable for the power supply.

But I expect #2 will be fine.

G

johnnygoesdigital

Philip,
Thanks for the link, I trust what Roger says.

Godfrey, I did try an extra cable, but i'm committed to giving the A7/r another go.
I'm going to shoot some outdoor landscapes/skiers with oodles of bright sun/snow and rocks, so this will really be a good demo. I'm deciding on whether to bring a strobe with wireless trigger for the full monty.

Thanks to all for the input.