The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question for people who own both A7R and A7

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have two A7Rs at the moment - but I have been thinking of switching one of them for the A7. This isn't primarily for the Electronic First Curtain, though I understand that that does make the shutter a little quieter (still loud though, I understand) and that some people have had less 'shutter shake' issues with it, though I have yet to be overly bothered with this as a problem on the A7R.

The main advantage I'd like to gain is better tracking focus due to the hybrid focus system. Frankly, the A7R can't track in a way that's useful to me and so I really want first hand experiences form those who own both: is the A7 notably beer for this use than the R?

Thanks in advance!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm going to say Tim get the A7 for AF tracking stuff. I have not done a true by side test yet and frankly the real test would be with the 70-200 FE when it comes as the longer focal length will be the most demanding on the system. When I did the runway stuff I shot 95 percent of it with the A7. I just felt it was more accurate and faster. I like having both to be honest even though the A7 sits more, it's there when I need it.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks Guy - I agree the long zoom will be the real test. But it's good to hear that so far you think the 7 tracks better.