The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone tried the Leica Macro Adaptor M on A7/R?

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have a 90mm Macro Elmar which works beautifully with a Novoflex adaptor on the A7R, but I don't have the macro adaptor.

It looks to have some superfluous 'bits' on it for rangefinder coupling. I wonder if they get in the way? Given that otherwise it is just an extension tube, does anyone have any suggestions of something else that might work well?

mjm6

I'll check when I get home. I haven't tried the adapter yet, but the 90ME works very well on there.

I was thinking that there might be a M--->M adapter (close focus adapter) available in generic photo products land that would make a good 1:1 adapter for the 90ME. Haven't looked around for one yet, though.

I'm guessing it'll work, because the bits are designed to cover the normal viewfinder mostly and so they should not interfere with the grip when installing it.
---Michael

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks! Would love to hear. Am going to order some Kenko E mount extension tubes and try them on the ME with M>E adaptor....

mjm6

Darn it, I forgot to pull it out last night and try it... I promise I'll do it tonight unless someone beats me.

jonoslack

Hi There
Is there a problem using the Voigtlander VME adapter? I'd have thought that was a much better bet.

Godfrey

Hi There
Is there a problem using the Voigtlander VME adapter? I'd have thought that was a much better bet.
A simple macro tube on a Novoflex adapter is likely more rigid than the variable focusing helicoid of the Voigtländer and other similar adapters.

I have used the Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 pre-AI with matched PK-13 (?) extension tube on the A7, fitted to the Novoflex NEX/NIK adapter. Very rigid and precise fit, works perfectly.

G

tashley

Subscriber Member
Yup, I think I'm going to go Kenko, since you get a pair of tubes that can be used separately or together. With my Foldio portable macro studio I'll travel with an entire 56mp macro setup including lighting in a briefcase. Nice.

mjm6

The Leica macro adapter works perfectly. No interference with the grip or the L bracket that I use.

I don't have a grip for it, but I don't think it would interfere with that either, as everything is on the top side.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thank you for looking into that, very kind. I think that the 'smarts' in that adaptor are just the RF coupling. The rest is really just am extension tube. So maybe all I need is the Kenko or similar?

jonoslack

I've not used the VM adapter, but I have used the Hawks bay adapter - much cheaper - there wasn't any movement noticeable with that, and it has the HUGE advantage that if you turn it all the way the lens is just normal (as does the Voigtlander). An extension tube like the OUFRO means you can only focus in a very small range, and if something wonderful happens 15 ft away you've lost it.

Seems like a no-brainer to me

Godfrey

I've not used the VM adapter, but I have used the Hawks bay adapter - much cheaper - there wasn't any movement noticeable with that, and it has the HUGE advantage that if you turn it all the way the lens is just normal (as does the Voigtlander). An extension tube like the OUFRO means you can only focus in a very small range, and if something wonderful happens 15 ft away you've lost it.

Seems like a no-brainer to me
I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm shooting close-ups in the 1:3 to 1:1 range, my camera is on a tripod, copy stand, or other fixture. There's no way I'm going to whirl around and snap a picture of something 15 feet away with it without taking the setup apart and reconfiguring the camera entirely anyway ... I'll just have to grab one of the other dozen or three cameras in the cabinet for that! ;-)

G

mjm6

Thank you for looking into that, very kind. I think that the 'smarts' in that adaptor are just the RF coupling. The rest is really just am extension tube. So maybe all I need is the Kenko or similar?
Yes, there is no benefit to using the Leica adapter on a camera that doesn't have RF coupling or the ability to collect the 6-bit code for lens identification, I don't believe.

---Michael

kuujinbo

Had the regular Voigtlander M adapter, and now have the close focus VM-E. Even taking into account the focus helicoid, the VM feels more solid and stable than the regular adapter. When I got it was surprised the build was so much better (to me).

Not sure if it will meet your needs as a true macro, though. Link to close focus distances by focal length:

VM-e close focus Adapter

Your Macro Elmar isn't listed, but the minimum focus distance will be quite close to the listed CV 90, going by experience using various non-listed lenses at the same focal length.