The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Prices are crashing down

J

JohnW

I took B&H up on this offer today. $1238 for an A7.

The new discount is not shown on the site and is not reflected in an online order. Even calling them, I spent a good hour trying to work through this with multiple B&H departments. The sales staff did not know how to get the discount into the order. But I finally got someone who could handle it. Apparently, if you received the promotional $460 email, there is a link there that includes everything you need.

I had an A7 for a short time, but returned it for an electrical issue. Looking at the files some more, I really like them and figured I'd give it another try. Seems like a better long-term approach than sticking with my Nex 7 or going with the A6000. I've got a few Rokkor and Contax lenses and adapters that I'll use for a while, and maybe buy one AF. I'm hoping the A7 and GR will cover my needs for the foreseeable future.

John

jfirneno

At B&H After $460 off,

Sony A7 Body – $1,238.00
Sony A7R Body – $1,838.00
Sony A7 with 28-70mm lens kit – $1,538.00

This must mean that a replacement is about to be released and Sony wants to blow out all remaining inventory on this five (?) month old camera?

I feel a like I was overcharged, and I haven't even needed to pay my credit card bill on my A7 yet!

Never purchased a "new" product and felt like I was overcharged so quickly.

Can I return my A7 with 1200 activations?

Well that's the result when you're an early adopter. You pay extra for the cutting edge.
But maybe it's a good sign for the FF e-mount. I've been reminded that rapid updates of the high end cameras didn't occur in the DSLR or SLT cameras. Probably because demand was low. I'm guessing that a lot of work is being done to fine tune the features for this segment of their line. I usually skip at least every other update (sometimes multiple updates if they seem trivial). Some people wait for the price drop (the thrifty approach). Some people try to sell the old line before the new one knocks down its price and put the sale proceeds into buying the new one. That seems like too much work.

Regards,
John

GDI

I remember the X-Pro1 dropped a lot not long after introduction. My Fuji kit isn't really worth selling right now, everything is so cheap. Anyway, after having the A7r for a while I have no desire for the new cropped Fuji, I'll keep the X-Pro for all my cropped shot needs. :)

Also, use this link and then click add to cart for a $1238 A7.
SONY A7 | B&H Photo Video

iiiNelson

I don't see the $460 off either. $300, yes (took advantage of that for both A7r and A7 purchases).

This price break is a bit early but totally fits with the current model of pretty much all of the companies. Fuji is discounting XE-2 (not that old of a body) and discounting lenses heavily to push the XT1 adoption. Panny cut the GX7 prices quickly after launch, then raised them back up, then dropped them. About the only one that hasn't gone that route is Oly with the EM1
There were EM1 rebates last month for $1-200 plus free accessories. I've seen it for as low as $1150 new though through various places online. A good deal and no one is free from discounts. Even Canon was selling the 6D for as low as $1300 about a year ago and the D600 was going for $1400 around the same time period.

alajuela

I think that ALL camera companies are scrambling for sales. The masses are on to other things. They have to do something to get the "impulse" buyer interested.

Uaiomex

The A7's are a sort of prototypes. If Sony wishes to keep the excitement they'll have to come up with more sophisticated versions for this Kina. A blend of the best of the 2 models would suffice. Who knows, I may chime in!
Eduardo