The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony's (lack of?) lens quality control

jonoslack

Jonoslack notoriously had problems with Pentax lenses going through several copies of certain models sometimes never coming up with a functioning copy.
So the point is everyone can have problems from any manufacturer. Doesn't necessarily call for pitchforks and torches though as the regional HQ.
I have had numerous warranty issues with all of my Sony cameras. Never had an issue with a lens, and I am pretty anal.

In my experience I would say having bought 3 cameras, with 2 that had issues right out of the factory, and one that developed over a span of time that was also in inherent defect, that Sony QC may not be up to spec on camera bodies either.

That is just my opinion, from my own experience of course. YMMV.
Hmm - Sony -
A55
A65
A77
A900
NEX 5
NEX 7
A7

Too many lenses to list. I've never had a problem with anything - mind you, word on the street was that if you DID have a problem in the UK it was really hard to get it fixed, but apparently now that's all changed and sometimes they can manage a 5 day turnaround.

. . . . and as HiredArm points out - I had terrible grief with Pentax lenses (not the cameras).

Individual stories are always of dubious use . . . . . and of course, real statistical information simply isn't available.

Jeff Kott

Just for speculations sake, lets say there was a service available to test your lenses. What would it be worth to you to get your lens mounted on an optical bench, and see a printout of how your lens compared to the data for reference lenses on file? This service would also, of course, certify your lens was fine if that is how it tested out.

Is this a service you would use? I would. Wondering now how much I would be willing to pay for the piece of mind, if nothing else?
I do three separate tests on my new lenses, but to have a pro do it on an optical bench I would pay up to US$100 plus shipping.

NomadMark

Hmm - Sony -
A55
A65
A77
A900
NEX 5
NEX 7
A7

Too many lenses to list. I've never had a problem with anything - mind you, word on the street was that if you DID have a problem in the UK it was really hard to get it fixed, but apparently now that's all changed and sometimes they can manage a 5 day turnaround.

. . . . and as HiredArm points out - I had terrible grief with Pentax lenses (not the cameras).

Individual stories are always of dubious use . . . . . and of course, real statistical information simply isn't available.

NEX 7 - Rubber Grip fell off.
RX1 - Light leak in LCD, non-circular aperture blades, and very dirty sensor from factory
A7R - Either oil on sensor, or defective coatings on sensor from factory

the first two issues were resolved very well, though it took close too 2 months a piece. The last I am still living though, with little resolve. Was sent to Sony for repair and it came back looking the same (dare I say worse) than when it left.

NomadMark

NEX 7 - Rubber Grip fell off.
RX1 - Light leak in LCD, non-circular aperture blades, and very dirty sensor from factory

the first two issues were resolved very well, though it took close too 2 months a piece. The last I am still living though, with little resolve. Was sent to Sony for repair and it came back looking the same (dare I say worse) than when it left.

Just a note to say Sony address my issue with camera 3 today.

While I have had some bad luck with lemon cameras, Sony has always stepped up and taken care of me. Amazing service.

ZoranC

Just for speculations sake, lets say there was a service available to test your lenses. What would it be worth to you to get your lens mounted on an optical bench, and see a printout of how your lens compared to the data for reference lenses on file? This service would also, of course, certify your lens was fine if that is how it tested out.

Is this a service you would use? I would. Wondering now how much I would be willing to pay for the piece of mind, if nothing else?
I would most likely use it. How much I would pay for it? That's hard to say without knowing any specifics.

ZoranC

Add to the last post the internet effect: these aren't random polls of users, but forums where the most aggrieved (or most easily aggrieved) are more likely to post their experiences and opinions.
Do people that have posted their negative experiences in this thread qualify as "most easily agrieved" to you? Not to me.

ZoranC

Now that we are speaking of not just lenses but of sensors too, my A7 came with hairline scratch on sensor from factory. Once I noticed it it went back faster than one could say "RMA".

NomadMark

Now that we are speaking of not just lenses but of sensors too, my A7 came with hairline scratch on sensor from factory. Once I noticed it it went back faster than one could say "RMA".
Sent back to retailer or Sony?
I had this same issue!! I had some small scratches as well.

m_driscoll

I'm the equipment buyer the manufacturers hope for: I never test anything. A camera would have to be inoperable and a lens opaque for me to return it. Just kidding about the lens, but, I'm sure that I've happily shot with lenses that would cause others to freak out. The only camera that I've had recently that was clearly defective from the start was a Leica Monochrom. Although consistently locking up could have been a feature. No problems with Sony cameras or lenses (that I noticed).

Cheers, Matt

ZoranC

I'm the equipment buyer the manufacturers hope for: I never test anything. A camera would have to be inoperable and a lens opaque for me to return it.
I, on the other side, come from environment that had very little means and every penny was as big as a house, hard earned money was respected and "throwing it away" was unimaginable. I work hard for money I spend on camera or lens. My employer doesn't pay me to deliver below expectations, they have every right to expect I deliver full value of my side of deal we struck when I got hired. Thus I expect full value of a deal when I am paying for something. Deal is a deal, fair is fair.