The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New firmware is here

jonoslack

Hmmm, like a terrier with trouser leg in his teeth I'll have another go: it certainly isn't 'fair' or indicative of a sensor's performance to push it around like this if you want to see how noisy it is: but I do think that if you want to see whether a sensor has more or less noise with a different firmware version, it is useful. Sort of like making an X-Ray of an oil painting to see if it's a palimpsest! The X-Ray isn't there to show you how beautiful the painting is.
Hrumph - well, I think in this dispute I'm with Godfrey - I quite understand your motivation for what you did, but it becomes more problematic to say that will be representative of a 'properly' exposed image. Maybe they did something which improved noise when 'properly' exposed with some sacrifice when pushed? Not suggesting they have, just saying.

. . . . mind you, I should know better than to try and intervene in a fight between two terriers :p:p

However, I still find it interesting, and, just back from a week without I'm teetering on the brink of updating my firmware.

all the best

tashley

Subscriber Member
Don't do it Jono, IMHO it makes the ISO performance worse, at least on the A7R.

Of course I look at the files without two stops of push processing (the results being that I think the new FW is noisier) and, given that the original exposure was somewhat but not extremely ETTR, (because extreme ETTR can compress highlights on the A7r even if it doesn't clip them) I count this is as a good exposure and good enough evidence for me!

(woof!)

Godfrey

LOL! I'm a bear, not a terrier. Terriers make a good lunch snack. ];-)

As I said, we will differ on this. I haven't had the time to update my A7 yet, but I'll do some before and after exposures to see what the FW update does...

G