The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Image Data Converter

hcubell

I am curious about people's experiences with the Sony Image Data Converter, Sony's proprietary software for doing raw conversions of A7/R files. I have just started playing around with it on a few files and it really did do a better job on these files than Lighroom and Capture One. However, it is beyond clunky. There does not appear to be a manual, there are no local adjustments, the image on the monitor is pixellated for several seconds after you change anything, it is prone to crash, etc. It's certainly not something you would use in a production environment, but for one off conversions of very important files that are portrfolio quality images, it appears to be an interesting option.

jfirneno

I am curious about people's experiences with the Sony Image Data Converter, Sony's proprietary software for doing raw conversions of A7/R files. I have just started playing around with it on a few files and it really did do a better job on these files than Lighroom and Capture One. However, it is beyond clunky. There does not appear to be a manual, there are no local adjustments, the image on the monitor is pixellated for several seconds after you change anything, it is prone to crash, etc. It's certainly not something you would use in a production environment, but for one off conversions of very important files that are portrfolio quality images, it appears to be an interesting option.
I don't use it but I'm curious. In your opinion, in what sense is it better?
Regards,
John

hcubell

I don't use it but I'm curious. In your opinion, in what sense is it better?
Regards,
John
Generally what I see is that the Sony software produces a file that is smoother yet sharper at the same time. More three dimensional, less digital looking, particularly with high frequency detail. Not surprising, since it is Sony's proprietary software for converting their own files, and who would spend more time fine tuning for the A7/R than Sony? Too bad the software is so abysmal. Thankk God we don't rely upon the Japanese electronics manufacturers for our day-to-day software.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Howard, I hate it: it seems not possible to get the sharpening as I like it - it's quite crude IMHO.

hcubell

Howard, I hate it: it seems not possible to get the sharpening as I like it - it's quite crude IMHO.
I understand, Tim. I don't use raw conversion software for sharpening. I sharpen after export with Focus Magic.
To call this software crude is charitable, but if I can obtain a better conversion for my 5-10 photographs per year that I think are worthwhile, I just may deal with it.