The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone here move from RX1 to RX1R ?

David Panno

I have shot my RX1 for about a year and love it.

I have a friend that will buy my RX1.

Worth it to move to R?

Also wondering if a 36 MP RX2 might come out this fall.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
RX1R was a very visible improvement over the RX1 in my short time with it ...
good enough that I may buy another just for quiet travel camera and use as a mini view camera without movements for stitching.

Bob

nostatic

There likely will be a new RX something this fall, but that will be...this fall and who knows the price. I picked up a used RX1r and liked it a lot. Only reason I sold it was that I preferred having the EVF of the A7. I miss the quiet shutter and frankly I got more "hits" from the RX1r than any of my other cameras.

Paul David

And I plan on posting my RX1r on the board tonight. Has a 4 year Sony Service+Accidental damage for 4 years.

Paul

NomadMark

I had the RX1 first. RX1R second. Had a few issues with my RX1 after several months of ownership. Sony replaces it, and I exchanged for the RX1R.

Personally, I think I would be okay staying with the RX1 after trying both. Yes, the RX1R is marginally sharper, but I feel like is is also more contrasty as well, which I could do without. I find I end up recovering a little more on the darks to get me where I was with the RX1.

All in all, if you want the best dynamic range, the RX1 might be marginally better. If you want the best sharpness, the RX1R is the ticket, but just marginally I think.

I wouldn't waste coin making the switch. But, that's just me. Both are simply incredible.

CharlesK

I also had the RX1 first, and after having dropped it accidentally, it was replaced with insurance and upgraded to the RX1r, when it was first introduced.

I loved the files with the RX1, as the dynamic range and palette of colors were amazing. The RX1r is sharper, but the files behaved differently, and I never really gelled with the new PP'ing workflow. I noticed the difference in lower lighting, with more noticeable noise, and less feel to the color from the RAW files. I suspect the sensor is different with the RX1r, although Sony will not admit to this!

IMO, I would keep the RX1, as it is an amazing cam!!

In the end, I sold my RX1r for the A7r instead, I have been very pleased with it... so far:)

ashwinrao1

Yup, I moved from the RX1 to the RX1R...I would say that after the Leica MM and M9, the RX1R competes for my favorite camera ever....simply stunning results....and a great shooter for so much. At some point, I may need to get one back, but at the moment, I have too much other great kit...