The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Awesome I'm all in.

Okay let's look at Sony here they have been known to sell a sensor to there competitors than use the same or a updated version for themselves. aka Nikon d600 and D800 than turn that into a A7 and A7r. Now they make a 50mpx sensor for Phase, Hassy what's to stop them from using them for themselves. So a MF cam is not so far fetched rumor. I think it be interesting to see if there is truth to this rumor. Just have too see but I do like Sonys aggressive approach to build some interesting product as of late.

k-hawinkler

I simply would like to buy a camera where all the outstanding features of cameras of various makes get combined, be it sensor, shutter, EVF, IBIS or AF.

f/otographer

What I am hoping for, and there was a little rumor floating around about this some time back, is an A7 type camera that has a movable sensor in it so you can auto focus with old manual focus lenses. You know, like Contax did back with their AX model that moved the film plane to auto focus with CY mount lenses.

A really fast, mirrorless digital camera with this feature would be something new.

As to the Medium Format rumor, I think its neat but I dont know how they are going to bring the price down to make it mass market AND create a whole other line of lenses to flush out the system. Yeah....I dont see that happening. Sony would have to release a fixed lens version, per the rumor. The last thing they need right now is another lens mount to not make lenses for.

A hybrid A/E/FE mirrorless has been kicked around for a while as well. That would be new and interesting.

Awesome I'm all in.

Okay let's look at Sony here they have been known to sell a sensor to there competitors than use the same or a updated version for themselves. aka Nikon d600 and D800 than turn that into a A7 and A7r. Now they make a 50mpx sensor for Phase, Hassy what's to stop them from using them for themselves. So a MF cam is not so far fetched rumor. I think it be interesting to see if there is truth to this rumor. Just have too see but I do like Sonys aggressive approach to build some interesting product as of late.
This would be a modern version of the Mamiya 6/7 medium format cameras which had some very good but small glass.

Guy Mancuso

Well a lot of folks would be interested in a RF style medium format. What they need immediately would be adapters to bolt Mamiya lenses or at least three Sony Zeiss lenses to go with it right out of the gate. Let's see if it happens but I won't be holding my breath to long.

fotografz

Well a lot of folks would be interested in a RF style medium format. What they need immediately would be adapters to bolt Mamiya lenses or at least three Sony Zeiss lenses to go with it right out of the gate. Let's see if it happens but I won't be holding my breath to long.
Yep, that is the question I asked … "what is the lens set" for such a camera?

Contax 645, Leica S, and Hasselblad H are electronic lenses so would need expensive reverse engineered adapters. Legacy Mamiya 645 and Hasselblad V mechanical aperture lenses would work … and with a EVF the mechanical stop down viewing/metering wouldn't be an issue because you get what you see.

A MFD mirror less body with a midrange Zeiss zoom could work as an all in one package. A 30-90/4 that was sized to cover their 50 meg sensor (rather than full 645) could be very attractive if priced right. Even MORE attractive if it were a Leaf shutter lens.

What ever Sony does, it seems they are intent on putting the "Brick Makers" out of business. When you survey the gear landscape, it seems many gear approaches aren't sustainable very long term.

- Marc

About the lenses.. how much room would there be in current FE-lenses to grow the sensor? Just a wild idea, but what if Sony designed them to fit this new MF sensor as well? That would also be a killer feat.. same lenses for the new camera as the backup A7r :)

But still, I wouldn't mind a RX1r style fixed lens camera.. especially if it were with fast 50 kinda lens.

//Juha

jonoslack

About the lenses.. how much room would there be in current FE-lenses to grow the sensor? Just a wild idea, but what if Sony designed them to fit this new MF sensor as well? That would also be a killer feat.. same lenses for the new camera as the backup A7r :)

But still, I wouldn't mind a RX1r style fixed lens camera.. especially if it were with fast 50 kinda lens.

//Juha
Yes Juha
Exciting idea and not impossible, but it does show a kind of across the board thinking which isn't Sony's best attribute.

What a great thought though!

Edit - not a chance - just looked into the E Mount mouth of my A7 - the sensor already fills it - to get to 44mm

Last edited:

Paratom

Maybe Sony will present a DSLR with an optical viewfinder ;)

Mark Weir from Sony hinted at "Something Wicked This Way Comes." when he mentioned that Sony will announce camera(s) that have never been made before.

I think Sony smells blood in the water, and is ramping up their juggernaut for more industry shockers.

Just for kicks and giggles, what do we think that could be?

My initial thoughts just based on known or strongly rumored info:

1) There has already been info that suggests an A99 replacement that will modularly take both A and FE mount FF lenses. Probably 36 meg. Meh, not a conquest camera IMO.

2) Also, a 50+ meg 35mm sensor has been on the rumor circuit for some time. Could this be the first time Sony uses a new higher res 35mm sensor first instead of selling it to Nikon like with the D3X and D800? That'd get my attention.

3) Then we have their new 50 meg MFD CMOS chip being employed by Phase and Hasselblad. A MFD mirror less camera could shake things up quite a bit … and it isn't like their pal Zeiss doesn't know how to make MF lenses.

Your thoughts?

- Marc

djonesii

Workshop Member
At 5K, I could see getting back into MF .....

Make it fixed lens with the "classic" 24-70mm [135?] (in 35mm terms) fixed F4
Around the 2/3rds size as my Mamiya AFD was since there is no need for a flapping mirror and I'm in!

The RX 10 was perfect for my last vacation trip, the RX100 never left the bag, the Fuji and the OMD stayed at home! Based on the way that I used the Fuji and 18-55 in my last studio shoot, I know I could make fixed lens work, only missing short tele for a few things as effective 70 is logish enough. Sony under Zeiss direction makes a smoking hot fixed lens.

For the big 80% of what I shoot, I could live with a good fixed lens. The things I miss from MF are tonality, color fidelity, and file malleability. Never had top pixel count anyway.

GO SONY!

Dave

iiiNelson

Yeah if the body was in the $4-5K range, the initial lenses (let's say 3-5 sort of like the A7 launch window) are in the $800-2500 range, then yeah I'd be in the 100% Sony camp for now.

Last edited:

dwood

At 5K, I could see getting back into MF .....

The things I miss from MF are tonality, color fidelity, and file malleability. Never had top pixel count anyway.

Dave
I have zero experience with MF/MFD but from the little time that I've spent with my A7R and 24-70/F4 thus far, tonality, color fidelity and malleable files are not issues (for me, anyway). In fact, this little powerhouse of a camera, even paired with this less than perfect, but very serviceable zoom, is impressing the hell out of me in each of those categories.

mjm6

Yeah if the body was in the $4-5K range, the initial lenses (let's say 3-5 sort of like the A7 launch window) are in the $800-2000 range, then yeah I'd be in the 100% Sony camp for now.
No doubt... I'd be hard pressed to even bother keeping my Leica M lenses, and would also consider dispensing of the R gear along with the a7r at a point in the future.

When are they going to make a digital LF camera? Maybe I should wait for that.

I'm only joking a little... hahaha!

I want my Sony/Mamiya6!

iiiNelson

I have zero experience with MF/MFD but from the little time that I've spent with my A7R and 24-70/F4 thus far, tonality, color fidelity and malleable files are not issues (for me, anyway). In fact, this little powerhouse of a camera, even paired with this less than perfect, but very serviceable zoom, is impressing the hell out of me in each of those categories.
There is no doubt that the A7 and A7r are both very capable cameras that no one thought would happen this soon or for this cheap.

Affordable digital MF is the new "FF dream camera" from 10 years ago when everyone "needed" a semi-affordable FF camera and at least 12 megapixels. There's some humor wrapped in there somewhere but the reality is better technological performance makes an already great picture better. It's as simple as that.

We can try to convince ourselves otherwise but the truth is that's why we have GAS.

Guy Mancuso

I would love to see a MF RF style like the Mamiya 7 but it has to have lenses ready immediately for use or be able to hook up with other lens systems or i am not interested at all. Fixed lens stuff to me is a total waste of money. I know some folks love them but for a Pro its extremely limiting. I mean i would love to replace my A7r cam to a even higher MPX cam for my commercial work. It can be all manual everything even if I had to use a crank to start it up. LOL

I would still keep the A7 for the AF needs. But sure if Sony came out with something I would certainly entertain it. But it needs to hit a lot of check marks for me. Im just not into buying gear for awhile. I have what I need and no desire to jump on anything.

To be honest Sony would be damn stupid not to fit in the same 50mpx sensor under the radar of Hassy and Phase and capture a huge market that simply don't want to pay 20k. 7k maybe but at 5k people would jump all over it as long as there is lens support. The A7/A7r came out handicapped so not sure i want to go down that road again with limited lens selection.

iiiNelson

I would love to see a MF RF style like the Mamiya 7 but it has to have lenses ready immediately for use or be able to hook up with other lens systems or i am not interested at all. Fixed lens stuff to me is a total waste of money. I know some folks love them but for a Pro its extremely limiting. I mean i would love to replace my A7r cam to a even higher MPX cam for my commercial work. It can be all manual everything even if I had to use a crank to start it up. LOL

I would still keep the A7 for the AF needs. But sure if Sony came out with something I would certainly entertain it. But it needs to hit a lot of check marks for me. Im just not into buying gear for awhile. I have what I need and no desire to jump on anything.

To be honest Sony would be damn stupid not to fit in the same 50mpx sensor under the radar of Hassy and Phase and capture a huge market that simply don't want to pay 20k. 7k maybe but at 5k people would jump all over it as long as there is lens support. The A7/A7r came out handicapped so not sure i want to go down that road again with limited lens selection.
I agree on the idea that most fixed lens camera are too expensive and limiting on what they are - FOR ME. I can't lie I was completely bummed out by the RX1 announcement (yet I can't deny the amazing results of what the cameras capable of) but the A7 and A7r brought me back to the light. I'd be willing to try a RX1 for what the A7 is going for on discount (~12-1300) but not for nearly $3k.