The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Something Wicked This Way Comes.

djonesii

Workshop Member
I would love to see a MF RF style like the Mamiya 7 but it has to have lenses ready immediately for use or be able to hook up with other lens systems or i am not interested at all. Fixed lens stuff to me is a total waste of money. I know some folks love them but for a Pro its extremely limiting. I mean i would love to replace my A7r cam to a even higher MPX cam for my commercial work. It can be all manual everything even if I had to use a crank to start it up. LOL

I would still keep the A7 for the AF needs. But sure if Sony came out with something I would certainly entertain it. But it needs to hit a lot of check marks for me. Im just not into buying gear for awhile. I have what I need and no desire to jump on anything.

To be honest Sony would be damn stupid not to fit in the same 50mpx sensor under the radar of Hassy and Phase and capture a huge market that simply don't want to pay 20k. 7k maybe but at 5k people would jump all over it as long as there is lens support. The A7/A7r came out handicapped so not sure i want to go down that road again with limited lens selection.

A quick scan of KEH show that the Mamiya RF lenses are available, and all for less the a grand each in a good range of focal lengths.

No need for RF coupling as they would focus via EVF. Just takes a simple mechanical mount adapter ..... Then the usual issues of adapted ends can be discussed ad naussium.

Sony has a pattern ... Hook the fixed lens crowd first [on size], get everyone's appetite whetted, and then throw out the interchangeable lens version.

As usual Guy is 100% correct for a working pro photographer, not so much for a working pro Geophysicist! :LOL:

Love to see something MF Digital that was less expensive than a BMW

Dave

Ben Rubinstein

I wonder if a fixed lens idea would be so far out. Fuji pulled it off many times on their medium format rangefinder bodies. Given how 'niche' the RX was when released, I can't see it being un-sony to do such a thing. What I will enjoy is Doug Peterson trying to explain why the P1 back with the same sensor, no body, lens, evf, etc is ten times the price :p.

Ben Rubinstein

With the RX they tested the waters with a fixed lens and then opened it to interchangeable. I wonder if they will do that again? Trying to second guess Sony's camera team is like playing darts blindfold. You know the general direction but any more than that it's going to be very random.

fotografz

Yeah, grab your behind with both hands because Sony is sure to take us on a roller-coaster ride over the next year or two.

I'm sure we'd all like it if they would take a bit longer, collect all the advancements and put them in a more complete kit. For example, they most certainly had the faster AF now in the a6000 before the A7/A7R came to market … but I'll bet they just put the A7/A7R out there because research showed we'd buy it "as is" due to its' game changing FF in a matchbox size. Seems they were right.:facesmack:

It sure the hell isn't a great policy to buy anything Sony early on … just a few months of patience can save you hundreds of dollars … unless you want to be an internet darling while the item is a hot topic … or that shoulder is flaring up again :LOL:

- Marc

johnnygoesdigital

Personally, I don't think Sony will produce such a camera unless the price is slightly north of a D800. The Nikon D800 converted a lot of MFD shooters wanting those megapixels, but most photographers know that it's really about the lenses resolving power. So, to launch a successful new model, I think they should have several lenses ready to market too. The A7/r is a remarkable little camera as is.

fotografz

And if Sony can make an adapter that can take Leica S lenses on this new MF thingie, it would be great. But then again, with used S2's going below $8K MF is already at the price range rumored for the new Sony MF...Leica S2 Medium Format Digital Camera Body Used 4022243108028 | eBay
That's an 8 condition S2 with no indication of history or use. Maybe we can find one with a smashed top-plate for under $5K ;)

The cheapest clean S2 I could find on e-bay is $9,350 and it's lower than all the rest by a decent margin. You can find fire-sales on most anything if you are patient enough. S2P seems to be commanding between $11K and $13K probably due to the fact it is cheaper to service because it came with a discounted service plan.

I think Sony will under-cut MFD and bring a 50 meg camera to market for $6K maybe $7 (which will be sold for $5.5K with-in a year of launch). They are in a conquest mode to grab market share … plain and simple.

- Marc

When Weir says Sony wants to make cameras that were never made before, I think he is just reiterating the philosophy that they have already demonstrated with the RX1 and A7 lines, and that we should expect more of the same.

So yes, Medium Format Mirrorless, hybrid mounts, even smaller FF bodies - it's all on the table.

I envy my Canikonian brothers who don't have to fret over which awesome new direction their platforms will take.

Godfrey

With the RX they tested the waters with a fixed lens and then opened it to interchangeable. I wonder if they will do that again? Trying to second guess Sony's camera team is like playing darts blindfold. You know the general direction but any more than that it's going to be very random.
This is why I don't try to second guess any of these companies. I just look and see what they announce. And buy what I like.

A medium format digital camera would be fun. If they make one, and some of you folks buy them, can I borrow it to play with now and then? :)

I'm just waiting for my Hasselnuts back to arrive, that will be my MF digital for a while. !!

G

philip_pj

The D800 was much more of a game changer than many people realise. In a way it was Sony's stalking horse for their next generation high Mp sensor, perhaps with no one knowing it, least of all Nikon. It was released two years ago last week, how time flies.

Soon they can pinch sales from above with MFD, from alongside in high Mp DSLRs, and from beneath with compact a7r cameras. So that is studio/commercial, landscape/event, and travel/light carry. All 'affordable' relative to the competition, but for two of these there is no effective competition from Canon or Nikon. By Xmas there will be a fuller FE lens lineup, high end DSLRs, with a 'Mamiya 7' up their sleeves...

Ben Rubinstein

It sure the hell isn't a great policy to buy anything Sony early on … just a few months of patience can save you hundreds of dollars … unless you want to be an internet darling while the item is a hot topic … or that shoulder is flaring up again :LOL:

- Marc
Not sure, the A7r in the UK where I bought it is $150 cheaper than when I got it in late November and I've sure had a heck of a lot of fun over the past 4 months with it.

Michiel Schierbeek

Latest news: sonyalpharumors

This will be amazing!
But I don't know if I can keep up buying all those new cameras if they keep on releasing revolutionary cameras at this speed.
As soon as you have bought this they will release their medium format camera and after that they will probably release one with a three layered Foveon like sensor.

I am getting dizzy :confused:

Lightleak

Has anybody heard anything new on this subject? Information and rumors seem to cease with this. Please don't let it die! Dear Sony, we need this camera!

ll.