The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which lenses do you use on your A7/A7R?

With which lenses do you plan to use your A7/A7R?

• Only with legacy lenses (=all non-FE lenses)

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Mostly with legacy lenses

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Mostly with native FE lenses

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hi,

I am curious about how you are using or are planning to use your Sony A7/A7R.

When I search the internet, it seems that most people use their A7/A7R only to adapt non-FE lenses on it.

How about you? How are you planning to do it?

fotografz

I think you have missed one category in your poll.

> Equally with legacy lenses and FE lenses.

I think of this camera in this manner, not weighted one way or the other.

I use AF A mounts via the Sony adapter, AF FE lenses, Manual focus M lenses … and may secure a Canon FD to E adapter to use a smallish legacy FD70-200/4 zoom which I just tested and was surprised by.

- Marc

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I use Sony FE, Sony E (crop mode), Sony A, Leica M, and Leica R. My three most used are CV 35 f/1.2 II (m-mount) w/Cameraquest helicoid adapter, Sony 55 f/1.8 FE, and Leica Summicron R 90 f/2. I am very happy with the Sony A7r.

arievandam

I use:
Leica R lenses, 28mm elmarit, 35mm summicron, 50mm summicron and 90mm elmarit.
Novoflex adapter.
Will get another Novoflex adapter for my Minolta 50mm Macro.
These lenses work perfect on the Sony A7.

frozenbb

My most used lenses are: the two Sony FE primes, Voigtlander 21 f/1.8, Tokina 90 f/2.5 (bokina in f-mount), and--when I'm craving a long telephoto--the crazy but fun Sigma 50-500 OS f/4-6.3 (Bigma, a-mount) with LA-EA4. That last combo, while not of canon/nikon telephoto quality, can still give me sharp shots at 1/2s on a small-ish tripod--all thanks to stabilization.

What I really miss is something similar to the Sony E 35 f/1.8 OSS (aps-c), as small stabilized primes are incredibly versatile on small bodies like the A7r. Here's hoping Sony fills this gap.

I just picked up a Minolta af 100 f/2.8 macro, though haven't had time to test it properly. The results I've seen so far seem clinically sharp, though I think I prefer the richer color renderings of my old mf Tokina 90.

philip_pj

4711, most webtalk is about adapted lenses due to the issues with them: what lenses work, best adapters, corners, flocking, etc.; and the lack of FE lenses early on in the program.

I use 3-4 adapted lenses and the FE55, but the latter one gets most 'air time' due to versatility. My fearless prediction is by this time in 2015 it will be 70-80% native lenses, 20-30% adapted.

philber

In fact, I use more legacy lenses (2 Olympus, 1 Leica M, 1 Leica R), and one FE lens (35mmFE), but it is the latter that produces most of my shots. It is just so good on all fronts...

iiiNelson

I have more lenses (Leica M and Zeiss C/Y) that I can adapt to the A7 and A7r but the one constant has been that the 55FE is ALWAYS bolted to one of the cameras. I also have the Rokinon 14/2.8 E mount and my 35 FE arrived this week though I may swap it for a 24-70/4 if they have one and just pay the difference.

dwood

Currently, I have the FE 24-70/F4 and I've pre-ordered the FE 70-200/F4. I've been 'this close' to buying the FE 55/1.8 but have decided to rent that and see how close I can get to its performance with the 24-70/F4. That may be an exercise in futility, but we'll see.

I have a need for a really good wide in the 21-25 range, and hoping that something comes along in the not too distant future with a Zeiss FE from Sony. I'd prefer to stay native, if possible, but that will largely depend on how soon, and how good, the next round of glass from Sony (or others) is.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
So far I don't see the 24-70 at 55mm being anywhere near the 55 1.8. One fact is the prime is awesome wide open at 1.8 and the zoom starts at 5.6. Hardly comparable. The 55 is maybe the best lens I have seen at its focal length as far as resolving power.

dwood

So far I don't see the 24-70 at 55mm being anywhere near the 55 1.8. One fact is the prime is awesome wide open at 1.8 and the zoom starts at 5.6. Hardly comparable. The 55 is maybe the best lens I have seen at its focal length as far as resolving power.
This is a kind of what I'm expecting as well, Guy. However, some of Tim Ashley's recent comparison files were enough for me to at least take a peek before ordering the 55.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This is a kind of what I'm expecting as well, Guy. However, some of Tim Ashley's recent comparison files were enough for me to at least take a peek before ordering the 55.
Oh you should no doubt. At F8 it's extremely close you just lose those wider apertures compared to the 55

Viramati

On the A7 FE55 (most), FE35 (occasionally), FE24-70 (just got it and seems good for a zoom), Cv 35/1.2 v2 (pretty good great wide open and easy to focus), leica apo-telyt 135/3.4 (AMAZING), Leica Elmarit-M 90/ 2.8 narrow version (seldom used), Canon LTM 85/1.8 circa 1963 (rarely).
Anything wider than 35 I use on the Leica M as they just perform so much better
Would love to have a FE35/1.4 if it ever gets released. May consider getting a 2nd A7 body used

Godfrey

:D

It's the contrast and crispness to be honest, I prefer a far more delicate rendition.
This Zeiss vs Leica difference has been ongoing for as long as I can remember. By and large, Zeiss lenses have always tended to be ultra sharp, ultra contrasty, ultra accurate where Leica's lens designers tend to a more delicate and subtle rendering model. Individual lenses stray from this generalization, but it seems to be the two companies' themes, and has been almost literally forever.

Sometimes I love a particular Zeiss lens (like no one can wrench me apart again from the Biogon 38mm f/4.5 T* that's on my Hasselblad SWC, or the Rollei 35S Sonnar 40mm f/2.8), and other times the Leica lens. They suit different moods, different shooting notions.

One thing that we can all be certain of: Zeiss and Leica lens designs are amongst the best there are, and a good example of either brand is always going to be a fine lens to work with for someone. :)

G