The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Re: Just for Tim! :)

D&A

Tim,

Since you're mostly hanging out in the Sony forums these days, thought it best to post here.

Your prayers (and mine along with many others here on Getdpi) have just been answered. I suggest you put this purchase on top of your list for the holiday's. Better yet, why not splurge for one now (December is too far off).

Just think, no more decentered, crummy performing samples of what was supposed to be a great performing lens. No more right corner vs. left corner disparities. Heck, can even make lemonade out of some of our supposed lemons (read...lenses that were poorly optically designed to begin with).

Just let me know when you buy one and I'll ship out all my lenses to you to take care of. Need "em" all back by mid April though! Oh yeah, what was your shipping address again? LOL! Just think, we can now save lots of money and gas on the merry-go-round of trying out various lens samples. Even better, tell NikonCanon (insert lens company name of your choice) "service department for lens adjustment", where to go....:ROTFL:

Have a look---->LensRentals.com - Roger’s New Toy Needs a Name

Dave (D&A)

(moderators, feel free to move to another forum if more appropriate).

D&A

Well considering the cost of postage to the US and back just to find out it's a dud...
Ben, I think sometimes all it takes is a picture or two to tell us that :). This way though with Roger's machine, we might have a fighting chance of changing that dud into a Cinderella (or something akin to that). Of course it depends on what ails our precious lens. If the lens is a $2000.00 piece of glass, the price of postage may be worth it...LOL! Like yourself, I still prize those Pentax Takumars.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

I'm dying to buy a Zeiss 18mm myself, problem is the main dealer in the country doesn't have a single one in. None, nada. He's checking with the importer. I'm not laying down that amount of cash if I can't choose a good copy on a super wide.

D&A

Ben B&H does international sales
I was just going to suggest that too (B&H). I assume their return policy is the same for international sales? Of course postage costs have to also be considered into he equation.

Dave (D&A)

Ben Rubinstein

Shipping, then tax and sitting in the tax people's office for a month, then finding out it isn't ok then sending it back then the nightmare of trying to get the tax money back then wash and repeat and Fedex making a fortune along the way.

tashley

Subscriber Member

I saw it yesterday and the real kicker is that if you invent and acronym name for it and they choose your entry, they will use it on any lens you choose as a prize. I immediately made a suggestion and am confident of losing!

I WANT ONE but they are huge and quite pricey...

scott kirkpatrick

Shipping, then tax and sitting in the tax people's office for a month, then finding out it isn't ok then sending it back then the nightmare of trying to get the tax money back then wash and repeat and Fedex making a fortune along the way.
Very true. Americans tend to not appreciate the effect of 20% VAT (that's replaced customs duty now) on packages that have to cross borders in the post. And the fee for the post office calculating that 20% can be another 20%.

scott

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Can't Ben get the Vat back as he is a working business. I'm not sure how it works with regards to Vat

scott kirkpatrick

Can't Ben get the Vat back as he is a working business. I'm not sure how it works with regards to Vat
Best bet is to carefully document that the package contains a component going out for repair, and that it will be coming back and should not then be taxed as a new purchase. I've gotten that to work when sending Leica stuff to Solms. If a business pays VAT on its raw materials there should be a way of taking a tax credit on the profits, if any, on the finished work. But Israeli taxes are for experts only, no Turbo Tax or Publication 17 here. Most of us with day jobs just accept whatever is left in the envelope, and don't try to understand how it got there.

scott

Tim

Tim,

Since you're mostly hanging out in the Sony forums these days, thought it best to post here.

Your prayers (and mine along with many others here on Getdpi) have just been answered. I suggest you put this purchase on top of your list for the holiday's. Better yet, why not splurge for one now (December is too far off).

I'm guessing this is for that other Tim (tashley) on GetDPI not me :eek: :D

Funnily enough I do spend a fair bit of time on the Sony forum!

:watch: