The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with A6000

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Quicky here and I had to process in ACR which i do not use this program very much . So Im guessing at my settings with regards to noise. But this was the A6000 with Sony 4 adapter and my 135 1.8 sony A lens shot at ISO 1000 1/125 at F3.2 which I did have to bump my exposure a little . Lets call it on the save side ISO 1250 effective. This is exactly why I bought the A6000 was for the reach of my 135. This looks pretty good right now until I get it all set up in C1 but Im on the job right now so I gotta get this correctly. BTW This is tungsten light and not white balanced either. Looks pretty darn clean

Guy Mancuso

Here is my settings in ACR. Anyone have a suggestion for ACR let me know with High ISO and the A6000. This was my stab at it in a real quick hurry today as i had to process about 300 of these at this ISO.

Guy Mancuso

BTW Im really liking this little camera. Never thought I would say that but it performs very nicely for the money and If I can put my neck on the line with it than either Im a moron, crazy or just really confident. You pick but there is a lot of money involved on a 3 day shoot. :)

Baronphoto

Guy

I use similar settings but found that I like a sharpening radius of either 1.0 or 1.2 for the A6000 depending on the subject.

I have the Sony A7r and found the A6000 easy to adapt to and use.

The main difference that I make between the two in the settings is in the sharpening radius.

Guy Mancuso

Just thinking this maybe the nicest little grip and grin cam around. What do folks think of a 16-50 DT lens for it. Guess I would need a Sony adapter. Would I use my Sony 4 adapter. Btw the Sony 43 flash although a little big works very well with it. I have the kit lens and it's okay but would like something better that covers like 24-70 area

MikalWGrass

Guy, so the weight wasn't an issue with the 135/1.8? Sony has no plans to introduce a vertical grip for the a6000 but could the hand holding experience of the camera with the long heavy lens like the 135/1.8 be improved with one?

What is AFC?

Thanks.

Mikal

Guy Mancuso

Auto focus continuous. Handheld with the 135 is big but the adapter helps a lot with holding in your left hand. Now its a big rig but not bad. But I'm coming from big cams too.

MikalWGrass

Thanks. I may spring for it considering I don't have the coin for a new A mount that will run close to 3k. Plus I will be able to carry it as a travel camera.

Guy Mancuso

Job done and going through everything today but I will just flat out say it , your nuts not to get one for the misly 650 dollars. This thing is damn nice. Shooting low light podium work is a nightmare and not many cams handle it well in regard to motion , noise and just output quality. I am amazed how good this was. I also tried every AF mode and just about every way to shoot it. I adjusted my AF lens adjustment to +10 for the 135 and seems to be good for the 85 as well. Cool part is the advantage of the crop factor. i can take these high speed lenses and get more reach from them with not buying bigger , heavier and expensive 200 mm zooms which are not my style anyway. For PR work and this event stuff which I do a lot of this in the corporate world 24mpx is more than enough to deal with. Im really impressed here and the A6000 is a awesome second camera to have onboard and the quality of file is not lacking IMHO at all. So with that the A7 is going on the block, for me it does a great job but it sits between many styles of work. I think I am better served grabbing a A77II and the A6000 for all this event style shooting. I just need a nice zoom and probably just get the 16-50 DT zoom with the A77II which with my adapter I can use it on my A6000 as well even though I have the kit lens which is not worth selling but Im going to sell the 28-70 2.8 Kit from the A7 which I just bought two weeks ago but really don't need it if I go this route. I will still have my A7r and all my Sony A glass to adapt to it plus my 55 and still get the 24mm F2 ZA when my Zeiss sells. So i will still have my powerhouse and use the A6000 with it and with the A77II. It just will go in both kits and i get a nice little travel cam and honestly the A6000 maybe all you need for travel. Even with a shitty raw processor with ACR the files look great so I think I am making the right call here and if a A99II full frame 54 mpx hits the streets than I still have my A glass. My key thinking since i bought the FE cams was buy the A glass in case I need to make a switch. They are the fastest in speed and excellent quality and i can use them on DT cams, FE cams and A cams. Bodies are replaceable , lenses are not. I still at the end of the day reduced size and weight over my Nikons and the 85 and 135 are world glass along with my Sigma 35mm 1.4 and the Sony 24mm ZA F2

Seriously folks go buy one or rent one try it out and see. May not be the most durable machines but for the money its hard to beat. For me it paid for itself in less than a day shoot. Thats amazing ROI

Not sure i could give a better endorsement for it. To me end of day no matter what workaround or fiddly crap i have to deal with means nothing but IQ is what it is all about. Another way to put it is I am not a pansy when it comes to working a camera as none of them are perfect but if i get excellent results thats all I care about and so do my clients.

Guy Mancuso

BTW i had the noise level on low since i was shooting Raw and jpegs here because i was just not sure of the raw processing yet since not supported by C1. But don't do that as I noticed on playback the low noise setting was degarding the image at 100 percent viewing so hard to tell sharpness. Once i turned that off I found it much better to see what I was actually getting. I did keep the sharpness at Plus 1 in standard mode for jpegs though as that helps a little. But seriously the jpegs are a little noisy out of the cam like this at ISO 1250. So just need to be careful if your a jpeg shooter. I am not normally but there are times when I have too. Just really need to watch your setting with in camera jpegs. Best advice as always shoot RAW but you all know that. With my settings above ISO 1250 at least cleans up really nice in ACR and I can deliver some really nice looking files to my client. I shot all the podium work with the A6000 which equals about 1600 images over 3 days. Thats a chunk and it held up really nice again everything was shot around 1/125 at F4 or so at ISO 1250 with a 135 1.8 effective 200mm on a monopod which I always use for this stuff. If you don't have a monopod its the cheapest way to save 3 stops of effective shutter speed TRUST me on this one. It also serves as nice security guard. LOL

Guy Mancuso

LOL

Its actually doing a good job its just clunky software BUT i can get by no problem.

The cam for 650 dollars just might smoke a lot that cost a heck of a lot more.

kapil Syal

the only nice thing about ACR is that it leads directly to Photoshop ..
and yea! that little A6000 ...it smokes some real big cams!
i had a brief 30 min test drive of the A6000 and the A7 (btw, i own a D800e) .. have decided to get that little dynamo and bypass the A7 (my Leica R and C/Y Zeiss will have to wait a while)
also waiting for the rumored MF version from Sony and Fuji ..
very exciting times!

MikalWGrass

Guy, thank you. You give the a6000 a much better recommendation than you did the a7 and a7R. I think I will pass on the A77II because it isn't my cup of tea. If Sony cranks out an ultra high mega pixel A mount camera body I may, just may take a leap. Then again, since I don't get paid for my work, I should buy what I can afford.

Thank you.

Mikal

Guy Mancuso

Here did not want to leave the 85 1.4 ZA lens out. Shot this one handheld so effective 135mm. Shot ISO 1250 1/125 at 3.2

Handheld with a decent size lens. Pretty easy to hold this cam.