The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with A6000

Uaiomex

They indeed posses the clarity of medium format.
I ordered yesterday a A6000 and I also have 3 CF glasses in the drawer. You are making me whirl. lol!
Please show more. Or should I say: Stop!
Eduardo

Hasselblad 80mm f/2.8+Rhinocam on A6000.

scho

I ordered yesterday a A6000 and I also have 3 CF glasses in the drawer. You are making me whirl. lol!
Eduardo

Hasselblad 80mm f/2.8+Rhinocam on A6000.
If you already have some old MF glass from film days, then this is a fun way to put the lenses back to work again. Takes some patience to develop a work flow, but may be worth the effort if you want to print very large. I'm still trying to work around some issues with color vignetting when shooting 4x2 in portrait orientation, but otherwise no other major problems.

Thanks for your posts, Carl.
What have you found to be the highest useable iso that allows for good sized enlargements?

I've been shooting with a Sony A77 for the past two years and though DXO claims 801 iso for the high iso limit... I've found that even slightly underexposed 400 iso has color noise that kills fine feather detail of birds. (I have Topaz DeNoise and Nik Dfine and know how to optimize their use). If exposed properly at 400 iso, the A77 sensor is OK, but 800 would never work for me. I've also removed the SLT mirror as all of my birding work is done with long Leica APO glass that is manual focus... so the SLT mirror serves no purpose and there is no light loss with it's removal.

Since the A77II will have the same sensor as the A6000, I'm under the impression that it will be fine at around 600 iso but marginal beyond that. DXO claims 2/3 stop improved high iso range... which is not enough for me to consider an upgrade, apart from the improved EVF that would make manual focus with my Leica glass easier.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on high iso with the A6000.
Lawrence

scho

Thanks for your posts, Carl.
What have you found to be the highest useable iso that allows for good sized enlargements?

I've been shooting with a Sony A77 for the past two years and though DXO claims 801 iso for the high iso limit... I've found that even slightly underexposed 400 iso has color noise that kills fine feather detail of birds. (I have Topaz DeNoise and Nik Dfine and know how to optimize their use). If exposed properly at 400 iso, the A77 sensor is OK, but 800 would never work for me. I've also removed the SLT mirror as all of my birding work is done with long Leica APO glass that is manual focus... so the SLT mirror serves no purpose and there is no light loss with it's removal.

Since the A77II will have the same sensor as the A6000, I'm under the impression that it will be fine at around 600 iso but marginal beyond that. DXO claims 2/3 stop improved high iso range... which is not enough for me to consider an upgrade, apart from the improved EVF that would make manual focus with my Leica glass easier.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on high iso with the A6000.
Lawrence
Hi Lawrence,

I've only had the A6000 a short while and have been using it primarily at ISO 100 on a tripod so I don't know yet about high ISO performance. I'll try some high ISO shots and see what the noise is like.

Uaiomex

It doesn't scare me. I was a field 4x5 shooter in the film days and tinkered with one or two big negative/chrome contraptions of my own. It was a lot of fun. That's why the Rhino looks interesting to me.
Eduardo

Eduardo

If you already have some old MF glass from film days, then this is a fun way to put the lenses back to work again. Takes some patience to develop a work flow, but may be worth the effort if you want to print very large. I'm still trying to work around some issues with color vignetting when shooting 4x2 in portrait orientation, but otherwise no other major problems.

bipbip

I've been happily using a NEX6 for about a year and decided to buy an a6000. It's an excellent upgrade, does delicious black and white and if needed I can crop back to NEX 6 size and still get similar quality as before. With manual lenses the focus assistance is even better. The menu system is naturally more logical and takes little to get up to speed coming from a family member.

philip_pj

I took a look at DxO's info on three rather different Sony cameras: A6000, a77 and a900.

The A6000 is as good as the a900 in everything but dynamic range, for which it is a full f-stop ahead! So much for the quaint idea that the industry has made little progress in recent years in sensor performance - now we have an $800 Sony APS-C camera with 2009 full-frame performance - a terrific result.

It is also handily better than the a77 which suffers an SLT-induced hit, but is really a low ISO camera.

Sony A6000 versus Sony SLT Alpha 77 versus Sony Alpha 900 - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

It's also basically an even match for Nikon's D7100 - a $400 more expensive camera.

iiiNelson

I took a look at DxO's info on three rather different Sony cameras: A6000, a77 and a900.

The A6000 is as good as the a900 in everything but dynamic range, for which it is a full f-stop ahead! So much for the quaint idea that the industry has made little progress in recent years in sensor performance - now we have an $800 Sony APS-C camera with 2009 full-frame performance - a terrific result.

It is also handily better than the a77 which suffers an SLT-induced hit, but is really a low ISO camera.

Sony A6000 versus Sony SLT Alpha 77 versus Sony Alpha 900 - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

It's also basically an even match for Nikon's D7100 - a $400 more expensive camera.
Yes but smaller sensors still can't make up for smoothness of tonality transitions or the benefits of having a larger sensor. I don't doubt the A6000 sensor is an excellent one for a second. I really like the Sony "formula" that they apply to their sensors. They produce the most "CCD-like" CMOS sensors on the planet.

As for DXO it's good to have metrics on some level but some of the lower rated sensors like say the M9's CCD literally blows away every other FF sensor when it comes to look in the images just like many CCD MF sensors blow away the D800 despite being rated lower by DXO. Live view and high ISO are great to have for sure but so are images that pop with minimal PP.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I still have a need to have one APS sensor in my bag. Having my 135 1.8 become a 200 1.8 for podium type work plus being quieter than my A7 is priceless for me and best of all its cheap. I need one by next Tuesday so trying to come up with the cash for it now. Nice thing I can buy it local at a variety of stores. Having rented it already it does play nice within my current system. Now just need C1 support for it which will come but I can get by with ACR for a bit.

MikalWGrass

Guy, when you rented the a6000 did you use the ZA 135/1.8 with it? How did it balance: was it front heavy and did you use a tripod? Which adapter did you use? How was the focusing: could you spot focus on fast focus or was it a wider type of focus?

I held one today at Pittman Photo in Miami. It was as light as a feather so I am not sure it would handle the constant weight of the ZA 135/1.8 and the Sony 70-200/2.8G.

Thanks for the input.

scho

Today I made 5 high res panos (170 MP each) at the arboretum using the A6000+Rhinoflex+80mm f/2.8 Hasselblad Planar. Each pano was stitched from 8 images using AutoPano Pro 3. The reduced size pano images below are each accompanied by a 100% screen grab and a link to the original full size image.

Original

100% Crop

Original

100% Crop

Original

100% Crop

(Nice over/under bazooka :ROTFL:)

Original

100% Crop

Original

100% Crop

UHDR

i must say i was very surprised by the AF speed of the 16-50mm. it wasnt so long ago when AF motor is the bottleneck even with faster AF detection/processing.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy, when you rented the a6000 did you use the ZA 135/1.8 with it? How did it balance: was it front heavy and did you use a tripod? Which adapter did you use? How was the focusing: could you spot focus on fast focus or was it a wider type of focus?

I held one today at Pittman Photo in Miami. It was as light as a feather so I am not sure it would handle the constant weight of the ZA 135/1.8 and the Sony 70-200/2.8G.

Thanks for the input.
Mikal sorry I missed this and got your PM as well. I never got the chance to try the 135 1.8 on the A6000 . I used the A7 and my assistant used the A6000 with the 55mm 1.8 which looking at what he did it kept up pretty well with tracking. Im still in the belief its faster with the adapter than the A7 as I did try the a6000 with the 85mm playing around and it seemed to track very well. The trick I learned on tracking is you need to start with your subject with the middle center area than press half way and continue to hold and shoot as the subject is coming at you. You cannot lift your finger off it and try it off center. So lets say runway model coming at you your best to set her with middle center point and lock it in than as she moves towards you it will track her even if it jumps out of center of the AF points and stay with whatever AF points you have but you must maintain the half press to continue the tracking.

I use the Sony 4 adapter with the translucent mirror in it. I would imagine this combination with still beat your A900 in AF tracking . The 135 is heavy for sure nice on the A7 with grip handheld which I am setting up for a model today and plan on using that and the 85