The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7s!

Thorkil

A new 12Mp FF sensor. With fatter and perhaps nicer pixels.
But I guess it would not be sufficient enough for me, while enlarging for seeing worn details on Buildings. But for inside or evening shots cleaner high ISO's it would be, which could be nice.
thorkil

Simple : it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Of course wear a helmet in the process.lol
And don't ever talk about your purchases online (esp. Facebook) before actually making the purchase.

British women use the rolling pin rather than the frying pan. Less washing up.
Having used a real cast iron pan for a little while now, I finally understand the whole "angry housewife with a frying pan" stereotype that started "back in the day", of course today with our aluminum and Teflon pans no one would know that one can be used with intent to kill! :p

fotografz

IMO, that would heavily depend on the quality of pixels, as well as the applications.

The old Canon 1Ds was 11.1 meg … but that was ancient sensor tech that suffered badly from noise.

I admit to being curious about a small "fat pixel" FF camera for candid low light work. With the newer gapless CMOS technology, I wonder how big the pixels are?

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I am never on Facebook, have a account but I hate it so I am never on it. My kids on the other hand I would love it if they stayed far away from it. Seriously I think it is a very dangerous place in many ways. My privacy is mine not the freaking worlds. I really try and keep my wife and myself far away from it and the gossip. My wife has had big health issues and that is something we keep far away from Facebook.

Guy Mancuso

IMO, that would heavily depend on the quality of pixels, as well as the applications.

The old Canon 1Ds was 11.1 meg … but that was ancient sensor tech that suffered badly from noise.

I admit to being curious about a small "fat pixel" FF camera for candid low light work. With the newer gapless CMOS technology, I wonder how big the pixels are?

- Marc
I'm certainly curious as well and see what this thing may have under its hood. Hard not to be curious at least but even more important for us working Pros with the market sliding south and it's happening to me next week is I am shooting part of a job with video. So to stay relevant to the market as a still shooter we may just have to take video on to put food on the table. In the past I have turned some work down because of video. More important though if we need it we have the glass for it mostly and we could always rent it too. End of day glad its out here to get access to it.

Guy Mancuso

Now this could work for me and the big runway shows I do twice a year as 12 mpx is plenty to sell 8x12 images online. I used the A7 in crop mode which knocks it down to 16 I believe so it is certainly workable here. Question really is would it be far better than the A7 in crop mode. Problem is I still need a 300 mm lens on it. Guess we will see what advantage if any this could have.

Professional

Honestly speaking, A6000 will have a big big use with me than this A7s definitely, i am a sports say soccer shooter, so i need faster fps than better video capability.

But, can i use my Canon long lens on A6000 with adapter without affecting fast AF? I don't think i will buy Sony 300/400 lens if they have already.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tareq, my A6000 went back very quickly. Sure it focusses fast but it doesn't track effectively enough for sport IMHO, though it might be that merely using non tracking AF is fast enough for some subjects.

Professional

Tareq, my A6000 went back very quickly. Sure it focusses fast but it doesn't track effectively enough for sport IMHO, though it might be that merely using non tracking AF is fast enough for some subjects.
I just saw your thread here about A6000, and thanks for that, as i shouldn't risk buying it for nothing much, and i was thinking if i can use a lens direct to it without an adapter it may keep the AF speed fast enough.

Well, then i will stay with Canon then

nostatic

If true I'm all over this. Shooting ISO 51200 with reasonable images would be great for dark clubs. Video is a bonus. Would love it to be stabilized but I doubt it.

Ben Rubinstein

I was still shooting the a pair of the original 5D's until 1.3 years ago for pro wedding work, a friend still uses his 1D3 at 10.1 megapixels.

Tim

Q: Is it cheaper to make a 12Mpixel FF sensor? Is it likely the A7s will be cheaper than the A7 or more?

Rawfa

On the Sony graphics it showed up at the top, followed by the A7R and then the A7. So I am guessing it will be more expensive.

I was disappointed that you need the external recorder to be able to record 4k.

hot

Yeahhhhhh .... It records 1080p internally in XAVC-S format at 50Mbit but the big news is the support for full 4K output
via HDMI to an external recorder. Unfortunately it does NOT have an internal 4K recording codec like the Panasonic GH4. :eek:

Rawfa

Depending on the price I'm replacing my A7 with this camera for sure. Amazing bit rate, a lot of professional movie options, promising dynamic and iso performance, AF that should be at least as good as the A7/ 7R.

jfirneno

It claims to have low light AF to extremely low levels. If it actually has capability close to Nikon's low light cameras (D3S, D4, D4S) then this could be the camera I need to supplement the A7R. But of course that's a big if.
Regards,
John