The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7s!

bipbip

Wonderful. All we need now is a Sony A7N. N for Normal, No video, Nikon D700 weight substitute ... and Not a high price for those who just want a camera without movie capabilities. D'ya hear me Sony? Oh, and by the way give me a silent shutter option à la RX10, please. Low light capability just begs for quiet indoor opportunities.

JYPfoto

From what I have read, you can't record 4k at the max IQ internally on the SD card. You need an external recorder for that. This may be included in the $5k you are quoting for the full outfit ?
Yup, which is why he $5k price is for the camera plus recorder. Recorder is said to cost $2,000, so when the rep at Atomos said that the kit would cost about $5,000, if you take away the cost of the recorder, it leaves you with the camera costing around $3,000.

Annna T

Yup, which is why he $5k price is for the camera plus recorder. Recorder is said to cost $2,000, so when the rep at Atomos said that the kit would cost about $5,000, if you take away the cost of the recorder, it leaves you with the camera costing around $3,000.
My bad, I didn't get that the external display was included with the recorder.. I thought that they we're forming two separate parts of the equipment.

angstmann

If it was around the same price as the A7 when that launched then I could see me being interested in the A7s. I'm definitely more of a stills shooter myself, but the video features would be a bonus, but if its going to be $3000, then that is completely out of my price range, as a hobbyist, unfortunately. In fact, I'm still waiting for a decent price drop on the A7 in the UK!

angstmann

All this talk of chunky discounts and rebates I keep hearing about, but to my eyes, the A7 is still at or near RRP in the UK. I'd probably pay RRP for the A7s though, if it was below $2000 as I'm ready to make the jump now after what feels like months of research.

mmbma

the fat pixels probably will make the A7s a much better body to take Leica lenses. the corner smears will be gone! mark my words!

Tim

Am I the only one that is curious what the A7s IQ will be like at LOW ISO compared to the A7/r and RX1/r ?

I am interested to see samples of how low ISO images from those big pixels look, or does logic follow that they will be no better than say an A7 image?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Am I the only one that is curious what the A7s IQ will be like at LOW ISO compared to the A7/r and RX1/r ?

I am interested to see samples of how low ISO images from those big pixels look, or does logic follow that they will be no better than say an A7 image?
I simply assume that they will be great, and hope that they will be very robust and able to take a lot of abuse during post processing, even files shot at relatively high ISO.

pophoto

I've seen the Nikon D4s images up to ISO 25600, and it looks great! Better than a lot of modern full frame at ISO 1600 and above!

I am hoping that the A7s will at least get it one more stop better. I think this is one of the most exciting news since sliced bread, and I like slice bread :)

pegelli

Why do we think the a7S has better high ISO vs. the a7 and a7R?

If you believe DXO sensor scores (maybe we don't :angel:) the 36 MP a7R has a high ISO score of 2746 and the 24 MP a7 has a score of 2248 (iso with a S/N ratio of of 30 dB while maintaining 9 EV dynamic range and 18 bits colour depth). So if the trend continues we could see worse high ISO performance of the a7S vs. the two older siblings.

Not trying to be difficult, just would like to understand it better.

jfirneno

Why do we think the a7S has better high ISO vs. the a7 and a7R?

If you believe DXO sensor scores (maybe we don't :angel:) the 36 MP a7R has a high ISO score of 2746 and the 24 MP a7 has a score of 2248 (iso with a S/N ratio of of 30 dB while maintaining 9 EV dynamic range and 18 bits colour depth). So if the trend continues we could see worse high ISO performance of the a7S vs. the two older siblings.

Not trying to be difficult, just would like to understand it better.
Pegelli:
It's a good question. I don't think we'll know until results are available. The reason we think it will be better is because Sony has designed it for high ISO (the range goes up to ~400,000). As far as the link to megapixels on the sensor, there is no specific correlation. The Nikon D3S is only 12 mp but is close to the all time champ on high ISO score at DXO (recently bested by Df and D4S). Higher pixel density actually contributes to some kinds of noise but allows for downsampling gains in apparent image quality.

I'm going to guess that A7S will be better than A7R and in line with the D4S (and possibly even better). Part of that is wishful thinking on my part. The part that I'm not so sure about is that the AF will be capable enough in low light to take advantage of that high ISO capability in other than a manual focus mode. After all this camera is really a video camera (based on the videographers' comments I've seen) and may not have the stills shooter's requirements (like good AF).
Regards,
John

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Guy, it kind of depends on the type of video work you plan to do.
I have a Rode videomic pro for run & gun, a 5 inch Sony external LCD, a beachteck with phantom power, 3 lav mics. a multi-bracket cage to mount the camera with different accessories and I´m starting to look into a stabilizer (there are all kinds ranging from us$50 up to tens of thousands of dollars).

Here is a video I shot with the A7 with live sound from the Rode Videomic PRO: https://vimeo.com/81553093
Rafael, if there was a LOVE button on here in addition to just the simple "Like" I would have hit that. What a FANTASTIC piece dude! Great work! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member

They look fabulous Tim. I just got back from the NAB show, and got the pleasure of actually shooting some JPG's with the new A7S prototype. Incredible dynamic range, will autofocus in near pitch black and no problem at all even in the quite dim show lighting. There is absolutely NO noise in ISO 1600, and honestly ISO 51,000 is not a joke - it's usable. Meaning this thing will make a photo in light so low I can't see a dang thing.

It is one amazing video camera first and foremost, but it is also a formidable low light stills camera for folks like myself. I will have one of the first ones released for sure. This camera is perfect for me.

Tim

They look fabulous Tim. I just got back from the NAB show, and got the pleasure of actually shooting some JPG's with the new A7S prototype. Incredible dynamic range, will autofocus in near pitch black and no problem at all even in the quite dim show lighting. There is absolutely NO noise in ISO 1600, and honestly ISO 51,000 is not a joke - it's usable. Meaning this thing will make a photo in light so low I can't see a dang thing.

It is one amazing video camera first and foremost, but it is also a formidable low light stills camera for folks like myself. I will have one of the first ones released for sure. This camera is perfect for me.
I Very much appreciate the report and feedback Chuck. The DR is welcome for sure.
It will be great to see some RAW and jpgs from real users in time.

jfirneno

Chuck:
Your news about the autofocus is very encouraging. Maybe the A7S is the Sony I've been waiting 5 years for. I know it's hard to be specific about performance without being able to download the files to LR or other platforms but do you have a point of comparison for the ISO 6400 files? That tends to be where my indoor shots gravitate because of available light. If 6400 is the new 1600 (compared to the A7R) then I could safely say Sony has solved the remaining problems for my kinds of photography.

Regards,
John