The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7s!

kuujinbo

Well, it wasn't long, and I am back in the Sony Fray with the A7s. My decision hinged on it's capacity to be a body for M lenses. I had come to the conclusion, that in general, the camera best suited for M lenses is an M, but going back over the past few months of shooting, I did enjoy using the A7 both with native and M glass. Now the news that the A7s plays well with wides, and I decided to jump in, especially given the low light capabilities. At very first glance, the silent shutter function should be fantastic for most of what I shoot....that is, composed street shots...And at first blush, the sensor seems to do better with wide M's, the 21 super-elmar in particular....At the moment, I have no FE lenses, so it's going to be M lenses all the way, for a bit at least....fun fun fun!
Saw your Flickr first earlier this evening. So what happened to the Fuji? ;) You had some very nice shots with the 23mm and 56mm. :)

Some random thoughts here with the 28 Elmarit III.

And from a couple of different lenses, none of which show any corner color cast, but I do get the same results as you with smeared/soft corners/edges...

40 M-Rokkor (CLE)

f4

f8 (i think, maybe f5.6)

Nikkor S.C Nippon Kogaku Tokyo 50mm f1.4

f1.4

f2

f2.8 (even here edges a little weak, but the lens is 50-60 years old and optimized for near/medium distances)

Rawfa

Come on, A7S owners! Stop teasing us and start posting some crazy high iso samples in near dark.

ashwinrao1

Happy to report that for the most part, I have had zero issues with the A7s in real world shooting....here are a few in normal light...with 35 FLE, 50 APO, 90 Macro-Elmar...Only the 28 cron (and to a much lesser degree, the 35 FLE) have shown corner smearing, but no color casts at all...The corner smearing isn't a huge deal at all on the 35 FLE. I need to test the 21 SE more, but am hopeful from early shooting that it'll be useable....

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would love to see the same image at ISO 400 and than one at 3200 if you get a chance

Last edited:

fotografz

The question I have is how the A7S @ ISO 6400 or 12,800 would compare to a A7R image shot at ISO 3200 or 6400 pushed a stop? The noise comparison being same image with same print-size to print-size, where the A7R is 3X the resolution of the A7S thus 3X less enlargement.

IMO, this camera would have to substantially beat the A7R to make up that 3X difference. At lower ISOs I would think there is no comparison.

Of course, this is all mitigated by the choice of lenses … if one is looking for use of M lenses that do not play well with the A7R then that's an important deciding factor.

- Marc

philip_pj

The a7r - like it, fear it or hate it - is the most versatile and capable camera ever made.

Guy, I from a read a guy who could not get his a7s to do files larger than 5Mb, so I am guessing that is it, as the maths make sense!

Rawfa

The little girl's ISO 12800 pictures that Ashwin Rao posted like the A7's iso 6400. I would love to have access to these RAW files if possible.

fotografz

The little girl's ISO 12800 pictures that Ashwin Rao posted like the A7's iso 6400. I would love to have access to these RAW files if possible.
Noise from the A7S using ISO 12,800 @ 12 meg is like A7 using ISO 6400 @ 24 meg … is that what you mean? One stop difference sounds like a wash when comparing similar print sizes.

If that is true, then why would one want to be stuck with 12 meg at ISO 100 to 400 for a majority of images one would normally shoot where noise isn't an issue?

I think you are right, it is very hard to evaluate images and ISO performance without access to the RAW files. It would be interesting if someone had both the A7S and A7 (or A7R) and could shoot a low light image at the same distance using the same lens (especially with people in the frame), then compare the full image on A3 prints for noise and color.

- Marc

johnnygoesdigital

I think with the 7s, Sony is going for the 4K video trend with the S-Log2 gamma capabilities, as opposed to trying to wow the still shooters.

jfirneno

It would be interesting if someone had both the A7S and A7 (or A7R) and could shoot a low light image at the same distance using the same lens (especially with people in the frame), then compare the full image on A3 prints for noise and color.

- Marc
Marc:
I'm sure someone else will step up in the meantime, but if the question remains unresolved by the 17th, I'll be able to compare the A7S and A7R head to head. I'm renting the A7S for a family party on the 19th. One other option is that Imaging Resource has some raw files for download for the A7S up on their site that can be compared to other cameras.

Regards,
John

Ben Rubinstein

Noise from the A7S using ISO 12,800 @ 12 meg is like A7 using ISO 6400 @ 24 meg … is that what you mean? One stop difference sounds like a wash when comparing similar print sizes.

If that is true, then why would one want to be stuck with 12 meg at ISO 100 to 400 for a majority of images one would normally shoot where noise isn't an issue?

I think you are right, it is very hard to evaluate images and ISO performance without access to the RAW files. It would be interesting if someone had both the A7S and A7 (or A7R) and could shoot a low light image at the same distance using the same lens (especially with people in the frame), then compare the full image on A3 prints for noise and color.

- Marc
I'd be interested in a downrez comparison to the A7r too, there's a lot of downrezzing there to reduce noise.

I downrezzed a iso 2000 image from my A7r (albeit shot in good light) to match what I'm used to from my long used 5Dc's. I'd say that the A7r at 100% downrezzed matched the 5Dc at around iso 100 for cleanliness and purity of image. Couldn't believe it. When you are downrezzing from 36 to 12 megapixels the files look more than lovely...

horshack

- Marc
I'll have my A7s in a few days and will be able to perform this comparison. In the meantime here's a comp I did between the D800 and Df, which can serve as proxies for the A7r and A7s as they have very similar performance to the Sony bodies. At normalized resolutions (I chose 8MP like DxOMark) there is no discernible difference at ISO 6400 and very little difference at ISO 12,800.

Df vs D800 vs 6D High ISO and DR: Nikon FX SLR (DF, D1-D4, D600-D800) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Chris C

…. why would one want to be stuck with 12 meg at ISO 100 to 400 for a majority of images one would normally shoot where noise isn't an issue?……….
Silent shutter?

A 'stuckist' might say it depends on which kind of noise annoys the most.

……………. Chris

ZoranC

Hard to say, but in my opinion, from experiences with the 28 cron and 21 SE in particular, the A7s is better. More importantly, I don't have to do a ton of color corrections to get the images to look right with the M lenses.
Thank you, that is a sign of good news.

ZoranC

With all this talk of downsizing/downrezzing does anybody have info on best methods to use when downsizing 36 MP picture to 12 MP?