The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7s!

Sorry, I must be going dyslexic. I forgot to type "look" :) But yes, I mean that the iso 12800 results from the A7S look like the results I get with iso 6400 with the A7 in low light.

Rawfa, I think you will definitely see some noise improvement but the bigger issue if you are using native AF lenses is the AF speed in the dark. The A7s is a beast in this regard.

Chad, I am really digging the look of the Rokkor files...
Thanks Ashwin.

I've been singing the M-Rokkor praises since the A7 was launched. Bang for the buck, I don't think they can be beat. Great combination of sharpness, tiny dimensions and a nice bit of character.

I actually found an M-Rokkor 28mm without spots for a great price but it has some issues with infinity at wider apertures that I'm trying to get worked out.

Here are a couple with that 28mm on the A7:

ashwinrao1

Thanks Ashwin.

I've been singing the M-Rokkor praises since the A7 was launched. Bang for the buck, I don't think they can be beat. Great combination of sharpness, tiny dimensions and a nice bit of character.

I actually found an M-Rokkor 28mm without spots for a great price but it has some issues with infinity at wider apertures that I'm trying to get worked out.

Here are a couple with that 28mm on the A7:

Wow, lovely. Much of this is you, though, as everything you shoot looks great :)
...Pair that 28 and 40 with the 90 f/4 M-Rokkor, and what a set...I once owned the 90 M elmar (same lens), and it was lovely as well....I could see a fantastic 3 lens kit there for a great price...keep singing the praises, my friend...

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
A question on my mind is how the camera operates with extreme long exposures.

Say you stack up filters to -18 stops or more. Anyone around here would like to try? I do not know whether the camera has a darkframe mode, but I think it would be interesting to see how it performs without darkframe at base ISO and exposure times above 10 minutes.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Please excuse a Sony A newbie question here; am I correct in saying the Sony FE 55/1.8 lens fits this camera natively, but the Sony Zeiss ZA 50/1.4S needs an adapter?

I have an Oly 40/2 that I would love to try on the A7s, I must say; the video and the silent shutter sound fabulous to me.

Rawfa

Please excuse a Sony A newbie question here; am I correct in saying the Sony FE 55/1.8 lens fits this camera natively, but the Sony Zeiss ZA 50/1.4S needs an adapter?

I have an Oly 40/2 that I would love to try on the A7s, I must say; the video and the silent shutter sound fabulous to me.
That is correct. The 55mm fits the A7S natively. The 50mm 1.4 needs an adapter.

Wow, lovely. Much of this is you, though, as everything you shoot looks great :)
...Pair that 28 and 40 with the 90 f/4 M-Rokkor, and what a set...I once owned the 90 M elmar (same lens), and it was lovely as well....I could see a fantastic 3 lens kit there for a great price...keep singing the praises, my friend...
Thanks again Ashwin. We are in the mutual admiration club.

I cheated on the 90mm and am using the Contax G 90/2.8 to round out my three lens kit. I actually had the 90/4 a few years ago that I used on a NEX but sold it (boy was it sharp tho). The Contax is another huge bang for the buck lens so I think I'm ok.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks Rawfa. The 55 is a little long for me (or a little short, depending on how you look at it!). But I have only seen growing reports of it.

I am teaching on the US later this year, and most likely will pick up an A7s then. Thanks.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
@ SP: the 20/1.7 lives on both the EM-5 and the G6...; yes, 40mm EFOV is definitely my favourite (hence the Oly 40/2, sitting here looking at me).

I think the Oly 40 and the Sony FE 55/1.8 for when AF is needed is a decent difference in FL, I feel. Cheers, kl

iiiNelson

@ SP: the 20/1.7 lives on both the EM-5 and the G6...; yes, 40mm EFOV is definitely my favourite (hence the Oly 40/2, sitting here looking at me).

I think the Oly 40 and the Sony FE 55/1.8 for when AF is needed is a decent difference in FL, I feel. Cheers, kl
Yup... Exact difference between 35 and 50 and there are a lot of fans of the 55mm focal length now. I will say though if you abhor the focal length the rendering, no matter how good it is, will not change that. I have that problem with 28mm lenses myself as I'm more of a 24 (and really as of the last couple years a 21 guy.)

Regarding the 55FE. I too thought that it would be a bit too long for me before I bought it but I found that I really like it. It's probably my favorite lens in the 50-ish range right now to include my Leica M and Zeiss ZM lenses. It give a little extra separation from the 35 and a bit better spacing in focal length as a kit before jumping to that 70-100 short telephoto range.

I've found myself using the 55 paired with a 85, 90, 100, or even 135 for a 2 lens "everything" kit. It's all depending on if I need the speed of a f/1.4 lens or reach of a medium telephoto.

Rawfa

Same here. 40mm all the way. It´s not as wide as 35mm and not as long as 50mm...it just hits the spot :) I would love if Sony released a 40mm pancake like Canon (maybe an f2.0 instead).

Godfrey

Those 28mm shots look lovely.

M-Rokkor 40/2 II, M-Rokkor 90/4 here; wonderful lenses and they work well on the A7. A lightweight travel it...

I haven't seen a 28 that wasn't damaged or too expensive lately. I tried the Ultron 28/2 on the A7 and wasn't terribly impressed. I haven't tried the Color Skopar 28/3.5 yet. Most of the time I've been using the Elmarit-R 24/2.8 and that works beautifully. (Actually, the only use my M-mount adapter has gotten on the A7 for several weeks now is to mount my M-mount Skink Pinhole... ;-)

G

I haven't seen a 28 that wasn't damaged or too expensive lately.... ;-)

G
Yes, I'm committed to making this M-Rokkor 28mm perfect. Not a spot in sight, and very sharp but when first I got it, it couldn't focus past 6-8 feet. Sent to DAG and I thought it was fixed to infinity but I'm noticing it is just working at 5.6 and higher.

I'm not crazy right, this lens should focus to infinity wide open?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Rawfa wrote:
40mm all the way. It´s not as wide as 35mm and not as long as 50mm...it just hits the spot
I know in my head that my resistance to 35mm (the great X100, for example, or the RX1) is not "real" (just a bit wider than 40, right?) but the fact is for me that 35 IS too wide, somehow, and 50 too tight for all-around use. God knows I've owned enough of all of them to say that.

So when I came across a pristine Oly 40/2 I jumped on it, even though it's pretty useless on the µ4/3rds cameras. The Panny 20/1.7 is a little dream lens for me; I do have all the other Oly primes (except the 75), and for video we use the 28, 35, 40, and 90 EFOV lenses literally daily. They all work just fine.

But if it's one lens and out the door, it's always the 20. I've ramble on long enough about this; I must get an M-Rokkor 40, too, just to compare.

Does anyone know the MFD of the M-Rokkor 40/2?

Alright, the 7s is going to get a low light workout tomorrow. Photographing Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Only two songs from the side of the pit but that's at least 6 minutes of lowish light shooting ;)

Blown away by the performance of the 7s / 55mm tonight at the concert. AF was quick, accurate and could see in the dark. 6400 ISO looks like 800 ISO while retaining the detail of a 200 ISO image from most other cameras.

Now I am going to be in a heightened state of anxiety until Sony releases more native fast (ish) primes for this system. I might have to breakdown and buy the 35/2.8 as a stop gap.