The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7s!

MikalWGrass

Chad, great photos, as always. How was Nick Cave's voice? Can he still bring it?

Heard Mother Falcon on the radio the other day. Quite an interesting group. Any chance you might get to shoot them as well?

Chad, great photos, as always. How was Nick Cave's voice? Can he still bring it?

Heard Mother Falcon on the radio the other day. Quite an interesting group. Any chance you might get to shoot them as well?
Thanks Mikal!

Yes, Nick can still bring it - amazing performance. Very intense.

Mother Falcon are definitely a home grown favorite here in Austin. Haven't had a chance to photograph them yet but I'm sure our paths will cross...

The deed is done - A900 is sold and for the first time in 12 years I am sans DSLR.

Now contemplating selling the A7 for a second A7s but think I can hold out for Photokina.

Minolta AF 20/2.8 on the A7s using the built-in LR profile which corrects for the native mustache distortion of this lens.

Sharp, sharp, sharp to the corners and edges. Love it!

G43

Perhaps better to take the http://www.getdpi.com/forum/fuji/51294-my-x100-getting-exhausted.html back to this forum due to I am getting more biased in favor of the A7s.

I got Lloyd Chambers word for the A7s will even beat the beautiful rendering the X100 shows. He pointed out a coming Zeiss 35 f1.4 manual focus will be setting a new benchmark for 12 MP sensor rendering.
Hmmm... maybe so. But I would miss the AF.

May I ask you at which ISO you feel you are loosing the beauty of the rendering?

turtle

Only the photographer can set benchmarks for rendering ;) Honestly, I would recommend looking at utility and not worrying too much about native file fingerprint, because most people won't care and all can be adjusted in post processing (with profiles if need be).

The A7s sure looks interesting as a low light monster...

turtle

I keep teetering on the brink of this camera - and your post makes it worse. ...What I'd really like is this camera with slightly worse ISO and 24mp . . . then my FE lenses would be out of retirement!
I bet you get this, or similar, in the next generation. 18 MP A8s?

In the meantime, why not pick up a regular A7? The shutter is miles better than the A7R (especially in burst) and you have 24MP and darned good high ISO?

I'm the same as you: the A7s is really interesting and has lots of features I'd like in my A7 and A7R, but 12MP is just a bit low for me. 16MP would have meant making perfect 20x16s and I doubt I'd have been able to resist buying one.

FWIW, I am so chuffed with my GM-1 and Sony A7 series cameras I can see most of my Leica M kit going up for sale soon.

G43

True enough turtle... buut.. no matter what I did in ARC/PS for my EM1 files setting the WB and Hue, choosing different camera profiles and adjusting colors in the channel mixer in PS, I was unable to replicate the rendering of the X100. So there's more to it...
Then of course comparing a 12 MP APS-C sensor to a MFT 16 MP sensor should show differences, and it does.

biglouis

FWIW, I am so chuffed with my GM-1 and Sony A7 series cameras I can see most of my Leica M kit going up for sale soon.
Be careful about what you sell. I divested myself of all my M kit then after buying the A7 I am slowly buying all the lenses back :)

LouisB

G43

I finished my order of the A7s and feel pretty content about it :)
About the noise vs A7 this speaks for itself. The A7S shows less noise at ISO 6400 than my EM1 at ISO 200 !
Image comparison: Digital Photography Review

In order to start out with some AF lenses I ordered the standard 35 and 55.

Then the fun sort of way begins. The lenses to die for with this camera.
For landscape I am covered well with my Zeiss Distagon 21 mm f2.8 and maybe I am as well with both the 35 and 55? As far as I know there has been some doubt whether the 35 is a cross frame transparent lens?
I would prefer the lenses (except for my 21mm landscape lens) to be relatively compact and easy on weight. No Otus 35, 55 or 85 will find their way onto my A7S, they are far too bulk.
Many of you happy A shooters would definitely know what favorited you have on yours and I would of course appreciate your pick for best 3 lenses. Max focal length would in my case be 85mm.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Its easy the 24mm F2, 85 1.4, 135 1.8 all ZA. I have all three and love them on all three cams I have the A7r, A77II, A6000. There new Zeiss 50 1.4 is awesome as well but maybe better served with 55 you bought.

Now I think and I can see the fire storm coming but I think the 70-200 2.8 SSM II ZA lens maybe the best 70-200 on the market. I just shot a boat load with it and its stellar

jfirneno

Appreciated Guy :)

Crazy good 85mm lens, perhaps a bit on the heavy side.

Any 28 mm in mind?
G43:

With respect to 28mm lenses with AF in A-mount the most favorably rated (by users on the Minolta/Sony site Dyxum) is, I believe, the Minolta 28mm F2.0. It's, of course, no longer in production. Good copies are sometimes found on Ebay. I think I've seen them for between $500 and $700 (which is considered expensive for a Minolta lens). By the way, stay away from the Minolta (or Sony version of the) 28mm f2.8. It's considered very soft.

Regards,
John

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Appreciated Guy :)

Crazy good 85mm lens, perhaps a bit on the heavy side.

Any 28 mm in mind?
To some the 85 1.4 maybe a little heavy but also sometimes its worth the weight to have a great lens onboard and being a fast lens weight and size will always be the case.

28mm is a tough lens to find outside the Leica 28mm R lens. I blanket it with a 24 and a Sigma 35 Art lens.

But this does not bother me as my kit for years has always been 24,35,85,135 as my primary's and my secondary lenses have also been like a 18, 50, 100, 200 or even wider at 14mm. So depends on your primary kit lenses on what gapping you like.

G43

Thanks jfirneno, thanks Guy..

Minolta. At least my heart tickles a little... hmm... will look out for samples and images trying to evaluate.

Guy, I had the present Sigma 85mm 1,4 until I sold it this spring. Big Mamma, heavy and bulk for a camera like the A line. Focus discipline with that lens was a dance on a knife edge :cool:
I don't know why the 24mm focal length bothers me, at least for street photography. One have to go pretty close to the subject and watch out for an eventual too dominant foreground. As a landscape lens it's really nice and perhaps I'll let it replace the Zeiss Distagon (that IS a tank).
Ohh.. and now you mention the 35mm ART lens, I am embarrassed :eek::eek::eek: to tell you that went with the 85mm. I'd never thought I would go back to FF again since I got the EM1, but seeing the incredible clean images produced by the A7S changed my mind.

However, I will try to keep the weight low for future additional lenses. I find the Sony A series as small as it get before holding and pressing buttons becomes a problem.
I would also welcome new top class AF lenses from Zeiss/Sony... though this seems to move very slow.