The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7s!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
We should know fairly soon here what new FE lenses may hit the streets. Photokinia is I believe Sept. 1st this year and no doubt there will be leaks on what will be announced soon here. I'm kind of on a holding pattern myself but the Sigma 50 Art is on my short list for sure.

Weight is not the biggest concern for me but I get paid to carry that weight too, so in a sense for me at least not the biggest deal. I would have the same type of lenses for a Nikon as well so I save a little on the bodies.

Guy Mancuso

Have not mentioned this but was in B&H last week at the Sony display with all three A7 bodies and the S is very responsive over the others. I did really like it. The focus tracking settings are set up different as well

G43

The Sigma ART lenses excels...Will see when I mount the Zeiss 21 Distagon how balanced the camera will feel :) If comfortable an ART 85 will not be any worse :)
I'll jump over the ART 50. Guess the Sony 55 will do.

Guy Mancuso

Remember also you will be using the Sony 4 adapter which you can add a plate to it and mount the adapter to a tripod. Gives it nice balance

G43

Yes Guy... thought about that too...

Hell... I really have to start reading the whole thing here about the A7 series. I became so sudden an owner of the camera...

turtle

The 21mm Distagon will feel massive on the A7s. Just preparing you!

This is why the Sony FE 35 (and to an extent also the 55mm) are so light. With only 450g of weight in the body, even the 24-70 FE is at the upper limit for 'good balance'. The 21 Distagon and most SLR lenses are not only heavy, but also further forward than FE lenses due to the adaptor.

G43

The Distagon was even feeling nose heavy on my Canon 6D !

I would have loved Sony to launch a FE 21 or even 18mm, a 85 mm w. Macro. Easy weight, small as it gets. Balanced camera.
This is maybe wish thinking? Hope Sony does not dump the A7 series before they even launch another FE lens for it.

G43

However it is, and thank you all of you good souls for your advices, my A7s will getting started well of with the 35 and 55. These lenses are quite brilliant (if properly centered) and getting something considerable better would require not only more costs, but also weight going up. The latter spoils the compact FF idea a bit.

To my great luck 70% of my photography is done b7 those focals and the remaining with lesser or bigger.

I guess I can show some images during the coming week.

G43

To some the 85 1.4 maybe a little heavy but also sometimes its worth the weight to have a great lens onboard and being a fast lens weight and size will always be the case.
Guy, I've ran through almost everything about the SAL-85F14Z F1,4 / 85mm Carl Zeiss Planar T*. Incredible performance.
The lens itself I find actually pretty handable and not too bulk and heavy.

Filter Thread Front:72 mm
Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 2.95 x 3.19" (7.49 x 8.10 cm)
Weight 1.43 lb (650 g)

(Aprox the same dimensions as my PL Nocticron 42,5 mm I am using on my EM1.)

Adding a LAEA3 adaptor also adds 110 grams to the 650 grams lens weight. 760 grams at the end of the day.

Anybody who have felt this combo being a pain to you? Lack of balance?

G43

Unboxed the camera and set it up for preferable button functions. Nice menu system :)
Haven't made any decent photography yet, just shot around my house and some balcony shooting. Hmm.. many says the camera isn't that pleasant to hold. I disagree, I find it quite pleasant.
The silent mode is freaky and very stealthy. Bravo Sony.

Basically everything feels good in hand and mind... said the EM1 man.

jfirneno

Okay all you folks shooting with the A7S, I need your thoughts.

I rented it for the third week of July. I used it for some outdoor shooting and for a party that included indoor and outdoor shots. I used it with the FE 24-70, 70-200, 55 and 35mm. I used it with a-mount on the LAEA4. I found it good. I think that the manual magnification on the A7R is better because of the higher magnification. I didn't notice the low light AF to be miles ahead of the A7R (as I was lead to believe by reviews) at reasonable levels (ambient indoor levels). I liked what I saw in outdoor daylight shooting and I liked the files. I think that pixel peeping will cause angst because I'll be tempted to shoot without as much deliberation as I currently use with the A7R. But I think of that as more my problem than the camera's.

What I'm hoping is that you folks might point out any other problems you've run into and stop me from spending anymore money on A7 cameras! Seriously, I'd love to hear other people's experiences with this interesting new camera.

Regards,
John

G43

You know I bought the A7S to replace my beloved Fuji X100 12 MP camera. I am convinced it was a good choice.

I have made a test shot just outside my balcony to show some differences. Hoppe the links below works. They are crops, but not at actual pixels level. Please download and crank up yourself.
Furthermore I have pasted a link showing the same but shot with my EM1. Wanted to see how the noise compares.

All shots:

ISO200
35mm
Aperture compensated for sensor size. Same DOF on all 3 pics.
Developed in ACR/PS
WB set the same.
I've compensated the 3 cameras differences re. metering, so approx the same histogram.

(Well... yes I could have chosen a more challenging motive, but forgive me. I couldn't wait)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8ut1xauja9ab26/_DSC0036-a7s-crop.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/05w2q9rod917abo/141-fuji-crop.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/33hpukm54v1023v/_8050003-EM1-crop.jpg

G43

Its easy the 24mm F2, 85 1.4, 135 1.8 all ZA. I have all three and love them on all three cams I have the A7r, A77II, A6000.
Guy, you are right.

Just ordered the 24 f2, 85 f1.4 and 135 mm f1.8 Za lenses.

Lenses last, cameras doesn't.

ryc

Guy, you are right.

Just ordered the 24 f2, 85 f1.4 and 135 mm f1.8 Za lenses.

Lenses last, cameras doesn't.
Hey cancel the order on the 24 f2! I have an extra one I can give youa smoking deal on :)