The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7s!

G43

Ashwin,... now you had the camera for a while, would you mind to drop a few words about how the files tastes to your book? Any favorite lenses until now?

There's no doubt the sensor delivers at high ISO. DL registers 1,5 stops above A7R.

But how does the low ISO files meet your demands?

mmbma

is it possible to turn the LCD completely off (not just black lit) on the A7s? I know you can switch between EVF and the LCD but once you do, even file playback needs to be through the EVF. Am I doing something wrong?

philip_pj

Phillip Bloom's review of the a7s:

Philip Bloom reviews the A7s: Says it’s an “awesome” camera. | sonyalpharumors

..and a thought that Sony really should take the easy step of putting the 36Mp sensor in the a99 body - because of all the majors they probably have the most capable prime lenses in : 24/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 135/1.8, 70-400 zoom and older lenses like 200/2.8 APO ad 135STF. There is very little wrong with any of these, they just need a new home. And by the looks of it, the new 70-200/2.8!

dwbell

Just wanted to add to my mini review earlier.

With the A7S you get two batteries and the new W charger in the box.
Much criticised in the A7R package where you did not.

This is interesting to me because Sony are traditionally (or so I'm led to believe being a new adopter) deaf to customer feedback and slow to react. Fuji are often held up recently as the perfect customer satisfaction camera company. This change in the box contents indicates perhaps that things are moving in the right direction at Sony top level. Which is encouraging, especially looking at the need for a robust lens line up for the A7 system.

G43

My photo-gear dealer have some delayment on my order for 24 ZA and 85 ZA lenses.

It gives me a little time out to think of the 85mm f1.4 + adaptor weight again. I am still a bit worried about the camera balance.

Is anybody familiar with A7 series and Leica Summarit 75mm and 90mm lenses? Which works best for you?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just shot the 24, sigma 35, 85 and 135 on my cam. Post in a couple. BTW the 24mm and 85mm are identical in length and both with 72mm filters just a little different look to them

G43

Guy, I know of this picture only. The lens hood makes it look awesome BIG :eek: but of course it doesn't add much weight.
The weight of the lens is perhaps not that scary, and perhaps I could scale the adaptor down to a LA-EA3 adaptor and save appr. 100 grams.
I do not need AF with this lens.

Guy Mancuso

Okay my lenses are dirty so please pardon my dust. Cleaning them now after my gig in NY I have not done. Now I do NOT and I mean NOT use any of the supplied hoods. HATE them with a passion. I buy on ebay screw in metal hoods and no front caps ever. i store front caps and hoods in the boxes. Why all my caps and hoods are new when I sell a lens. The hoods are just freaking ugly and big as hell. HATE THEM WITH A PASSION. I repeated myself so that tells you something. LOL

I shot these without any hoods

From smaller to bigger

Now the Sigma is on the edge but I can still hold it well and it still feels balanced . The 135 is a lot tougher to handhold but if you have a grip its awesome

Guy Mancuso

The LA3 I had but sold. It is a little better size wise. But if your buying AF glass you really should just get the 4 anyway in case you need to hit AF in a situation

G43

These are self explaining pictures Guy... (Thank you having the trouble shooting the pics...) and you know why? I had the great Sigma 35mm ART lens those days I was shooting 6D. The sigma 35 and the Zeiss 85 is about the same weight. Heavy guys to my book, but very rewarding IQ.

My little concern here is actually only that I sold my bulk DSLR gear to ease myself lugging around. Downsized and shrunk the Canon camera system to an EM1 system consisting of 6 wonderful lenses. Better, but just about enough or at the edge of acceptable IQ, but OK.

Now it seems I am going back and filling up my bag with FF DSLR lenses again :loco::rolleyes::eek:
That's where the Leica lens question came in ;)

No worries about the dirt. I tells you are an active photographer and I chime in hating lens hoods that ugly as they may be.

I have paid my order for the ZA lenses and can cancel off. I have to think hard. Very hard.

Guy Mancuso

Well here is my basic issue with the A7 series with just a couple lenses now. To get fast glass and AF than you really have no option but the A mount glass. Thats a big big reason i packed in the ZA but second reason is outside no FE lenses or very limited I am still not FULLY committed to the A7 series until they one come out with more glass and two we see a second version with the needed improvements. Until than I sit on the fence and I am playing it safe no question. Seriously I am even thinking of selling off the A7r for the A7s until I see another 36mpx plus come out. I love the A7r but i don't like the compressed files and i do want the EFC even though I had very minimal problems. The other big reason as well is i have 3 bodies and the A series works on all three of them. I have 3 lenses that will not work on all three the Zeiss 12mm only really works on the A6000 and the 16-70 F4 as well. Than I have the Sigma 18-35 1.8 that works and dedicated to the A77II cam but can use it on the A6000 although pretty big for the A6000. Now looking at the investment in these 3 odd ball lenses it only really equals about 2k tops so I can flip them if I have the need to do that . The A6000 to me is my toy and really not a great need. In any given moment I can sell that and the 12, 16-70 and it would not hurt me in the slightest.

Bottom line for me is I am really waiting on Photokinia to make any real devotion to anything and making any serious moves. I recommend that to everyone in a way, especially if your shooting for money.

G43

Hear hear..

I was 5 minutes and 29 seconds away buying an A7R when it launched those days, but thought... hey wait until its bads shows up. I did not regret. A7R is a tripod camera to me. It takes really a great deal of shooting discipline to handle 36 MP's, and then came the very bad news about the shutter shake.

What made me choose the EM1 system instead of the Sony A's was exactly the huge selection of quality glass available in the MFT world.

Then came the A7S and what a camera it is. I deeply recommend it, your files will show you abundance of beauty and wonderful tonality. Very true there's some MF look to the files.
Still we are back to the missing FE lenses and looking at the road map... puhhh... no comfort in that. So here I stand with a lovely camera and left with a headache what to throw on them.. except going bulky again.
Do you expect some FE lens surprises at Photokina?

Guy Mancuso

I do , I really think Sony is coming to the plate big time in Sept. They are now showing a profit this quarter and the moves they have made even with limited lenses has proved to be a big hit in the market. If they jump further on there bandwagon than it's really a success. They be stupid not to at this point everything is coming up Sony lately.

Honestly they don't need to do too much to satisfy most buyer a couple well placed lenses and correct the A7r and they are on a winning path. The A7 and A7s really don't need anything done to them right now. They are very capable. The biggest thing we need to see is the commitment to the FE line. I see that than I'm all in.

G43

If I may trust you inner feeling about new FE lenses soon, or at least know they are comming... I'll hold shopping big glass.

The whole point with a compact mirrorless is the lenses equals the size. Totally logic. I am amazed Sony are able to put out 3 A's in a row while not offering even one prime more for it. Sony really owe us something.
It's obvious I look for the FE X-wide mm, 85 and 135... the latter since I really love to shoot cinematic style.

The 36 MP tripod workhorses I've chosen to uncheck for now and go as slow as it gets. Bought DP 1, 2 and 3 Merrills for stills.